Shanling H5 - Portable DAC/AMP/Player, AKM AK4493S DACs and sweet warm tuning
Dec 11, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #151 of 320
H5 arrived this morning. Loving it so far… Is there anyway to accurately view the battery percentage? Or are the 5 bars on the display and the tiny little battery display in the app the only way to monitor the battery?

No more detailed battery indicator.

I was referred with Shanling H5 for my Shure 846. But according to specs. The output impedance is very close H5 balanced is 6.6 ohm And Shure is 9 ohms @ 1 khz. Are they both Compatible?.

SE846 are one of the more output impedance sensitive IEMs, so their sound can be affected by using them with H5 and its higher output impedance.

Couple of not so important quirks with the H5 I wanted to point out, in case anyone can make any suggestions or at least shanling to pass on to engineers

1) as previously mentioned, Bluetooth incompatible with Apple TV. It sure if hardware constraint or can be corrected with new firmware.

2) when using Eddict player and EQ, even if you disable EQ, it remains on the last setting. Even if listening directly from the SD card without Eddict player, the EQ settings remain in effect. You need to enable EQ, reset, then disable EQ.

3) H5 connected to iPhone 14 Pro Max with shanling lightning to usb-c cable. If I start playing music (usually with Qobuz) and I lock the phone (with side power button) the music cuts for a second or two. Like I said, not the biggest deal, but it’s inconsistent. Sometimes it cuts (most of the time), sometimes it doesn’t.

Other than those smallish quirks, loving the h5!

2. There is no EQ on the H5 itself. The EQ in the Eddict player app is fully on the side of the app and it will have effect if you are playing from the Eddict player app over USB or Bluetooth to H5. But it would have no effect if using other playback modes on H5.

3. Will check on this.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 11, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #152 of 320
Couple of not so important quirks with the H5 I wanted to point out, in case anyone can make any suggestions or at least shanling to pass on to engineers

1) as previously mentioned, Bluetooth incompatible with Apple TV. It sure if hardware constraint or can be corrected with new firmware.

2) when using Eddict player and EQ, even if you disable EQ, it remains on the last setting. Even if listening directly from the SD card without Eddict player, the EQ settings remain in effect. You need to enable EQ, reset, then disable EQ.

3) H5 connected to iPhone 14 Pro Max with shanling lightning to usb-c cable. If I start playing music (usually with Qobuz) and I lock the phone (with side power button) the music cuts for a second or two. Like I said, not the biggest deal, but it’s inconsistent. Sometimes it cuts (most of the time), sometimes it doesn’t.

Other than those smallish quirks, loving the h5!
2) - are you saying that H5 has built in DSP eq - if the eq is still on when playing via SD card then it sounds like it..

Dec 12, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #154 of 320
Can I take it as not so compatible? Is H7 a good match? since it's impedance is 1.? Also can H7 and H5 RCA Used as Dedicated DAC instead of Preamp?. Thank you
That's up to your preference, as the higher output impedance will affect the frequency response of the 846.

Upcoming H2 or H7 would be better matches.

You can set H5/H7 to maximum volume for this use, for a pure output to external amplifier.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 12, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #157 of 320
Can I take it as not so compatible? Is H7 a good match? since it's impedance is 1.? Also can H7 and H5 RCA Used as Dedicated DAC instead of Preamp?. Thank you
I may have
2) - are you saying that H5 has built in DSP eq - if the eq is still on when playing via SD card then it sounds like it..
Forgive me, I mispoke. As Shanling said, there is no EQ on the H5 just the app.
I mispoke as I was confusing the songs on the SD card vs local songs on eddict player (it's not the easiest of apps to navigate)
It appears you can only EQ local songs, not songs from the SD card.
***However, even if EQ is DISABLED, local songs still play with the last EQ setting. If you really want to disable the EQ, you must "reset" EQ before disabling it.
I guess a small bug.

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #159 of 320
Any chance future updates might include music player control while in USB 2.0 mode same as Bluetooth mode?

Dec 15, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #160 of 320
I was almost zeroing Shanling H5. when the Issue of Impedance Matching caused confusion. I then stumbled across Fiio Q15 which was little higher priced but with flagship DAC: AK4191EQ+AK4499EX Dual Dac more powered. whereas H5 has AKM AK4493SEQ Dual DAC Chip.
Since I couldn't hear both I have no comments.

Yet I favor Shanling H5 for its true Hybrid features for Audio Player, USB Dac and RCA Lineout ( which I can use as DAC for my Denafrips Athena Preamp) and Shanling House sound which is loved mby many.

verifying FIIO q15 i studied Shanling H7 which also has AK4191EQ+AK4499EX Dual Dac but way expensive than both Q15 and H5.

It would be nice if I can know the Technical Superiority of Shanling H7 over H5 . Thank you

Dec 16, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #162 of 320
I was almost zeroing Shanling H5. when the Issue of Impedance Matching caused confusion. I then stumbled across Fiio Q15 which was little higher priced but with flagship DAC: AK4191EQ+AK4499EX Dual Dac more powered. whereas H5 has AKM AK4493SEQ Dual DAC Chip.

Yet I favor Shanling H5 for its true Hybrid features for Audio Player, USB Dac and RCA Lineout ( which I can use as DAC for my Denafrips Athena Preamp) and Shanling House sound which is loved mby many.

verifying FIIO q15 i studied Shanling H7 which also has AK4191EQ+AK4499EX Dual Dac but way expensive than both Q15 and H5.

It would be nice if I can know the Technical Superiority of Shanling H7 over H5 . Thank you

I have the Q15 - it has PEQ on Bluetooth and soon to be made global on all inputs (Fiio promised update in a month). Output impedance is also low around 1ohm or less. It also has balanced line out.

Can’t comment on which one sounds better as I don’t have both, but you’re getting flagship AKM dac on the Fiio. It’s not all about the dac as we know however

Dec 18, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #163 of 320
I have the Q15 - it has PEQ on Bluetooth and soon to be made global on all inputs (Fiio promised update in a month). Output impedance is also low around 1ohm or less. It also has balanced line out.

Can’t comment on which one sounds better as I don’t have both, but you’re getting flagship AKM dac on the Fiio. It’s not all about the dac as we know however
Yes we are not talking about Dac alone.

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #164 of 320

I think the below suits your needs better as there is no battery involved but internal is the same as Q15 or H7.

https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/844.html

Also, keep in mind most battery-operated audio gear reaches their EOL around 3-4 years so by 2027 you can't use Q15 or H7 anymore due to battery deformation but
A desktop solution like the above paired with your desktop amp will definitely last longer.

Too bad HPZ your audio dealer didn't sell the above model - you may ask them if they plan to bring some units in future.
---------------------------------------
P.S:- For others before anyone jump into the Gun, the Battery Replacement scope in INDIA (other than Mobile Phone / Tablet officially released ) is Zero unless the person is able to visit the manufacturing country/plant and battery swap by hand-in-hand, given the 3-4 years later same battery is in production.

P.S:- H7 use statnderd 18650 Li-ion 6500mah which may possible to source other Electronic E-Com vender in India....Example Robu IN. <--- Edit :- Correction don't think so.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #165 of 320
I think the below suits your needs better as there is no battery involved but internal is the same as Q15 or H7.

https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/844.html

Also, keep in mind most battery-operated audio gear reaches their EOL around 3-4 years so by 2027 you can't use Q15 or H7 anymore due to battery deformation but
A desktop solution like the above paired with your desktop amp will definitely last longer.

Too bad HPZ your audio dealer didn't sell the above model - you may ask them if they plan to bring some units in future.
P.S:- For others before anyone jump into the Gun, the Battery Replacement scope in INDIA (other than Mobile Phone / Tablet officially released ) is Zero unless the person is able to visit the manufacturing country/plant and battery swap by hand-in-hand, given the 3-4 years later same battery is in production.

P.S:- H7 use statnderd 18650 Li-ion 6500mah which may possible to source other Electronic E-Com vender in India....Example Robu IN. <--- Edit :- Correction don't think so.
thank you Battery life and component worn out are very crucial points. Thats a desktop solution but we also need a otg dac amp .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back