Shanling EH3 - Desktop DAC/AMP with Wi-Fi, USB Drive Playback and Flagship ESS ES9039PRO DAC
Dec 28, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #181 of 264
According to the provided specification it should work with both 2.4G and 5G networks.

If your EH3 has issues with local network only at certain times, especially when your other devices report drop in bandwidth at these times, we can only recommend putting it closer to the router or using wi-fi extender.

Please what router are you using? There should be no such need for the router to be limited for EH3 to work, we never encountered such situation in our testing.
Asus GT-AX6000

Dec 28, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #182 of 264
Since my report has been ignored like the others or maybe it's a feature... I repost with a photo.

Here you can see that Lane8 is not on the album of Dhafer Youssef
It was reported to software team 3 weeks ago when you posted about it.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 28, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #183 of 264
According to the provided specification it should work with both 2.4G and 5G networks.

If your EH3 has issues with local network only at certain times, especially when your other devices report drop in bandwidth at these times, we can only recommend putting it closer to the router or using wi-fi extender.
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.
I got me Wi-Fi extender used as an access point.
So I don't think it can be any closer to the Wi-Fi emitter !

I still think it has serious problems and it's much too sensitive to Wi-Fi usage by other users because another audio device working on Wi-Fi (the fiio R7) which now sits at the same location has zero problems too keep a stable connection and that is even with no extender !

That is why I would have been glad to know how WiFi is tested and used in your side. Maybe that would help to solve my problems. Unless of course that is also a trade secret...

Regards

I can only connect my EH3 to the Internet by setting my router to 802.11b/g. It just can't connect to anything higher than that in my case.
For me, the network function of the EH3 are useless because I have to limit the router to 802.11b/g, which means the wifi speed will be limited to 54Mbps. My phone and computer also need to be connected to wifi.
If the EH3 is really equipped with a wifi chip that can only support 802.11b/g, that is truely unbearable to have a device equipped with such outdated spec in 2023.
Hi,
I think your router can be set to have separate access points : one in 2.4 GHz and another one in 5 GHz.
But of course, that kind of setup is not always convenient...

Dec 28, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #184 of 264
That is why I would have been glad to know how WiFi is tested and used in your side. Maybe that would help to solve my problems. Unless of course that is also a trade secret...
Wi-Fi is tested and used in our offices, in home of some team members, at distributors and sometimes even at the show conditions.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 28, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #185 of 264
I can only connect my EH3 to the Internet by setting my router to 802.11b/g. It just can't connect to anything higher than that in my case.
For me, the network function of the EH3 are useless because I have to limit the router to 802.11b/g, which means the wifi speed will be limited to 54Mbps. My phone and computer also need to be connected to wifi.
If the EH3 is really equipped with a wifi chip that can only support 802.11b/g, that is truely unbearable to have a device equipped with such outdated spec in 2023.

Ok, so got confirmation on this from engineers. EH3 uses Wireless module AP6256 which is 802.11ac/a/b/g/n based, so on certain routers you might need to switch to the Legacy mode for compatibility.

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #186 of 264
Ok, so got confirmation on this from engineers. EH3 uses Wireless module AP6256 which is 802.11ac/a/b/g/n based, so on certain routers you might need to switch to the Legacy mode for compatibility.
Thank you for the information.
I'll give it a try and see if the legacy mode can solve the problem.

I tried the lagacy mode, but still not working.

Dec 30, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #187 of 264
Oh interesting, got to say Hifiman Stealth (known to be bright) was my reference and it went a little too spicy without EQ
yet UX3K got confortable here.
I didn't like Arya Stealth very much. Arya Organic was better in my opinion.
Thank you for your comments.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #188 of 264
Hi,

Now that I am at my desk again, I can comment a little further.

Sound is really good.
You will probably hear every detail on the recording.
Even some details you never heard before...
And even on tracks you listend to for hours and hundreds of times...

That being said, the sound has some emphasis on bass.
So if your headphone/speakers are also a little bass heavy, you will probably want some EQ.
The problem is you will have none...

The mids are really beautiful and well balanced.
So I'd say it's a winner here.

Now the treble is really good, not laid back but not a treble that will rip your ears off.
It is somewhat "relaxed" so you do not have any sibilance of any kind.

BUT the problem is, if you need EQ you will have to circumvent Eddict and that is a solution that is absolutely not stable.
In fact, I am waiting for the next firmware upgrade to decide if I keep this or if I definitely switch to a brand that is a little more "reactive" at fixing things and adding requested features.
Thank you.Your comments will be very useful to me.
My headphones are Hifiman Ananda, Focal Radiance, Focal Stellia, Sennheiser İE 900

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #189 of 264
Hi,
Never tried the Ananda.
From hifiman I only have the Deva which sounds pretty good to my ears.
I was not super fond of the sound coming out of focal headphones. But they is a matter of tastes. I think they should work with the EH3 pretty good given I found them a little think on the bass side.
But that is just memory so I may be totally wrong...

Regards

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #190 of 264
Hi,
To be honest, since I installed the Wi-Fi repeater the main problem I was encountering is gone.
Still that does not explain why, when located in the same location, the Fiio R7 can stream seamlessly where the EH-3 can not.
I am still thinking that there is a caching problem that has to be solved... Or a hardware flaw...
I'd be curious to know if the Wi-Fi has been tested at different distances and with a wall between the router and the EH-3.
Of course it might be considered as a feature and you have to place it next to your router, but not everyone can do that for one and not everybody wants to do that for two...
Hope the EH-4 will have Ethernet port !

Dec 31, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #191 of 264
Hi,

Here is a "complete" and "detailed" report about the EH-3 as it is working or not with third-party apps.
The third-party apps used are :
- Symfonium
- Bubble UPnP
- mConnect
- UAPP
- Neutron
- A&K Connect
- Hi-Fi Cast
- Media Monkey

I. EH-3 AS DLNA SERVER

a) With Symfonium
Symfonium can detect Media servers. But it is limited to some DLNA services like Plex or Emby... It does not detect other music servers. But it can make usage of Samba servers. Unfortunately Shanling is not able or does not want to give out details about how to connect to the EH-3 as FTP/ssh/smb or WebDav...
CONCLUSION : Symfonium is a NO-GO

b) Bubble UPnP
Bubble UPnP can detect automatically all DLNA servers available. The EH-3 is no exception. But browsing through the files of the EH-3 with Bubble UPnP is quite weird. Sometimes it is decently fast, sometimes it takes like 5 to 8 seconds to load the content of the directories.
CONCLUSION : Bubble UPnP is a OK

c) mConnect
mConnect can detect all avaialbe DLNA servers on the network. The EH-3 is no exception and it shows up. But once you're there, browsing through the files of the EH-3 is quite a question of luck. If you have to browse deeper than 2/3 sub-folders, then you almost always end up with one of the following messages "The server is not responding" or "mConnect stopped responding".
CONCLUSION : mConnect is a NO GO

d) UAPP
UAPP can detect all DLNA servers on the network and the EH-3 is no exception here. It is possible to browse throught the folders of the EH-3 with reasonable speed. As Bubble UPnP that speed is sometimes slow sometimes decent, but it is decently fast more often than with Bubble UPnP.
CONCLUSION : UAPP is a OK

e) Neutron
Neutron can detext all DLNA servers on the network. But the EH-3 is an exception. It is not detected. It can alternatively browse throught ssh/FTP servers, but as Shanling does not provide info on how to do this (without a real explanation as to why they do not want to do that) , it can't be used.
CONCLUSION : Neutron is a NO GO

f) A&K Connect
A&K is the software used by Astell&Kern. Few features but it detects all DLNA servers on the netwrok. It can detect the EH-3 and, surprisingly, can browse through thte files pretty quick.
CONCLUSION : A&K Connect is a OK and the best choice it seems :wink:

g) Hi-Fi Cast
Hi-Fi cast is an app developped to "cast" as the name says. It can detect all DLNA servers on the network. It detects the EH-3 but is unable to get the content of it. It displays a message ""Could not retrieve data from media server : Action failed (501)".
CONCLUSION : Hi-Fi Cast is a NO GO

h) Media Monkey
With a not super explicit interface, Media Monkey is able to detect all the DLNA servers on the network. And the EH-3 is no exception. It is possible to browse through the forlders of the EH-3. Speed is not stellar at all :frowning2:
CONCLUSION : Media Monkey is OK.

II. EH-3 as a renderer

Here, the protocol is a little different. I will try to take files from Emby/plex and when possible from the EH-3. I'll then try to playback to the EH-3. And see the result there...

a) Symfonium
As I can't take files from the EH-3, I will take them from Emby server and send them to the EH-3 used as a renderer. Playback starts ok after some seconds. The display on the EH-3 shows the expected sample and bitrate. So far so good.
But playback stops after first track...
CONCLUSION : the EH-3 is a NO GO as a renderer with Symfonium

b) Bubble UPnP

1. With the EH-3 as server :
- Playback has some problems to start... It begins to play and stops after 1 second. Then it starts for good. Maybe some problem with cache on the phone or the EH-3? Can't say. But that is acceptable if it's limited to that... But playback stops after first track. So EH-3 is A NO GO with BubbleUPnP when used as server and renderer.

2. With files played from Plex :
- Playback also has problems to start here. It's like when the EH-3 is used as a media server. But OK. It that happens on first track only and it has no other problems, I can live with that... BUT again, playback stops after first track. I played with settings to try to improve things : enable/disable gapless playbak ; enable/disab le FFmpeg conversion ;
CONCLUSION : the EH-3 is a NO GO as a renderer with Bubble UPnP

c) mConnect

1. With the EH-3 as server :
Of course, this assumes the EH-3 does not put mConnect to problems. Playback starts after 6 or 7 seconds. It should be mentioned that when the EH-3 is used as a server, the "Artist" tag is not displayed correctly. So the display at the front shows the track title but the second line, where the artist should appear, lists "Unknown". And this is with about ALL tracks from every artist... I consider this to be a bug of the "software" (which has numerous others but that is another story).
If the settings are "Gapless playback => off" it plays the tracks as it should. If the setting is to "Gapless playback=> On" then it stops playing after first track.

2. With Emby/Plex as server
If Emby or Plex is used as a media server, then the result is somewhat different. First, the Artist name is displayed correctly on the little fron display of the EH-3. That is already better. Second, the elapsed time is showed corectly, when it was only refreshed every 10 seconds or so when playing from EH-3 as a media server.
But result is basically the same : with gapless turned on, the playback stops after one track. If "Gapless playback" is set to "Off" then it plays tracks in a row as it should. But of course there is a "small" gap : about 1 to 2 seconds... Somewhat irritating, but let's say it is OK.

CONCLUSION : the EH-3 is a OK as a renderer with mConnect, but with hiccups...

d) UAPP
This is a little tricky. UAPP added the ability to cast only recently on so it is probably not completely "mature" as of now.
And depending on the settings, it plays or not.
If the EH-3 is set to "bit perfect" => playback starts after long time and not always. Some tracks are skipped before playback begins. So I set it to 16/44.1khz.
I'll make a long story short here : whatever the settings, I have playback or not ; I have playlist played as it shoud or not... Too random to be fully usable :frowning2:

If you select the EH-3 to play "bit perfect when possible" you can play tracks on the EH-3.
The front display of the EH-3 will show covert art ; it will also display the artist's name ; and the sample and bit rate will show correctly.
So far, so good...
It also skip to following track... BUT with a 2/3 seconds gap between tracks :frowning2:
I tried to enable the "Renderer is gapless playback compatible" in the EH-3 cast settings. I urge you not to do that. The gap will jump to 12/15 seconds...
I can live with 2/3 seconds but I can't with 15 seconds :wink:

Is that only possible since the release of UAPP 7.0.0.9 or was it because I installed a Wi-Fi repeater that improves the signal ? No idea...
But I have to say that this allows you to have "MorphIt" which is an easy way to apply EQ to your headphone (provided it is listed...mine are).

CONCLUSION :
- if you want to playback Hi-Res files, UAPP is a NO GO ;
- if you are ready to downsample your files, UAPP is OK... But honestly that is not the scope of the EH-3 is it ?

UAPP is probably the way Eddict should work :xf_cool:
If only that "gapless" would be possible, then it would be perfect !
So UAPP is definitely a HIGH GO for the EH-3.

e) Neutron
It can only be used with an extrnal media server as the EH-3 is not recognized by Neutron.

When it is used with an external media server like Emby or Plex, it works.
BUT sound can become jerky at some point especially if the network get's crowded or used by someone else.

CONCLUSION : Neutron is a GO for the EH-3 but be aware that if sound gets jerky you'll have to hit "Pause" on the EH-3 and rthen resume after 8 or 10 seconds.

f) A& K Connect

1. With the EH-3 as a media server :
Playback starts after some seconds. It has to be noticed that it seems that A&K Connect is unable to retieve the cover art from the EH-3 used as a media server. Weird enough, the cover art is displayed on the front display of the EH-3. If someone understands something here, I'll be glad if he could explain... Because me, I am simply puzzled... Good thing, elapsed time is displayed correctly in A&K Connect. A&K Connect also does not recognize the "Artist" tag so as the artist, we have "Unknown" displayed on the front display of EH-3.
After track 1 A&K Connect stops playing files... As many other third party apps :frowning2:

2. With Plex as media server
Here, front display displays artist as it should. It also displays cover art, but weird enough even with Plex as a media server, A&K Connect does not retrieve cover art to display it.
Playback starts quite fast, which is good. Elapsed time shows correctly on both app and front display of EH-3.
But again : after track 1 playback stops...

CONCLUSION : the EH-3 is a NO GO as a renderer with A&K Connect

g) Hi-Fi Cast

It will only be tested with external media server as files cannot be retrieved by Hi-Fi Cast.

Playback start after 4 or 5 seconds. That is OK.
Front display shows artist name and cover art. So does Hi-Fi Cast.
Elapsed time is showed correctly in both app and front display.

Unfortunately, the playback stops after first track. Whatever the settings used on the "renderer" it does not skip to next track.

CONCLUSION : the EH-3 is a NO GO as a renderer with Hi-Fi Cast

f) Media Monkey

1. With EH-3 as a media server
Here again, artist is "Unknown" :frowning2:
Front display and app show coer art and elapsed time as it should. However, the app does not recognize the duration of the song so can't display how much remains to play...
But again, playback stops after first track :frowning2:

2. With Plex as a media server
Artist is now recognized as it should.
App displays elapsed time and recognizes duration of song so you know where you are.
Front display displays artist and track tile and elapsed time and duration. So all good here.
But again, playback stops after first track.

CONCLUSION : the EH-3 is a NO GO as a renderer with Media Monkey.

This is again a super long post...

The scope is to show Shanling some path of what can be improved to make their player a fabulous one !

My overall conclusion is that the EH-3 implementation of UPnP / DLNA does not fully comply to UPnP / DLNA standards.
I can't explain otherwise that almost ALL of third party software have so much problems going to next track.
The only one not plagued by this behaviour is Neutron, but then again, Neutron has it's own ways of sending files...

Any other explanation is of course welcome...

To make the EH-3 a great player (and a lot of other streamers like the EM5/EA5/EM7 and probably EM30), I would suggest 3 things :
- make the EH-3 used as a media server usable by any DLNA third-party app (which would include Neutron and Hi-Fi Cast)
- work on the fact that about NONE of the third party software used allows to skip to next track
- work on Eddict to add the NUMEROUS features that are missing...

Any comments are welcome...

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #192 of 264
Hi,

As a follow up to my previous post, I would like to say that, for now, I consider that the EH-3 is addvertised correctly... More or less.

It is in fact a Desktop USB DAC/Headphone amplifier with experimental Wi-Fi and USB playback features.

Now you can of course use it with mConnect and playback files with a slight gap between tracks and be happy with it.
But that does not allow you to apply EQ to the sound.
And so, if you, like me, have some headphones that are on the bassy side, you'll may be a little "overwhelmed" by the bass...

So if you're looking to use the EH-3 with EQ here's how to do it :
- launch one of the apps that can use the EH-3 as a media server : BubbleUPnP, mConnect, A&K Connect...
- launch Neutron player and set it up in this way : 1. allow to use it as a renderer ; 2. select your correction curve for EQ ; 3. select the EH-3 as target for sound ;
- now on the first app, select Neutron as the renderer and start playback.

There you go : playback on the EH-3 with EQ (PEQ even if you want).
It seems that that way to do things are quite sensitive to network load.
So make sure you have a really stable and fast connection between devices.
Also be aware that this does not really support "Pause/Play".
You'll have to Pause => Play => Pause again => Play again to get not jerky playback.
If it is still jerky, just hit "Pause" on the EH-3 remote control ; wait for the playback to pause on Neutron or other app and then hit "Play" again on the remote control.

That way you'll be able to enjoy the delightful sound of the EH-3 coming out to feed your phones the way you want.

I hope this will all contribute to provide Shanling with some feedback so they can see what direction the software team should/mauy consider for future developments.
I have been all over internet and read all reviews of all streamers from Shanling.
The statement is clear : magnificient hardware : software is not good...
So I really would like this to be adressed and so should, I think, all people at Shanling, especially poor representative who is in front and gets all angry comments from angry users :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL AUDIO ENTHUSIASTS OUT THERE !!!!!

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #195 of 264
Hi,
One thing is really missing in Eddict (now that I use it)...
And that is a widget so you can play/pause your playback without having to go to Eddict again.
Let that exists but I haven't seen it :frowning2:
And that should be within the each of software team I think...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back