Shanling EH3 - Desktop DAC/AMP with Wi-Fi, USB Drive Playback and Flagship ESS ES9039PRO DAC
Dec 25, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #166 of 273
There were few comments about the sound quality. Leaving aside the general features, how is the sound quality only? Mojo 2 is my reference point.
Does it offer value for money? Is it preferable to higher-end Shanling players? All I want to know is the sound quality.

Dec 25, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #167 of 273
Sound quality is good, DAC + AMP are working well. Mids and highs benefits the most and power is great for planar.
Bright with bass boost but lacking texture.
Avoid if your headphone is also bright, go if you have a neutral, warm or dark headphone signature.
Since it's broken around lot of features, having an EQ upfront is a must.

Dec 25, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #168 of 273
There were few comments about the sound quality. Leaving aside the general features, how is the sound quality only? Mojo 2 is my reference point.
Does it offer value for money? Is it preferable to higher-end Shanling players? All I want to know is the sound quality.

Hi,

My thoughts aren't the same as those BlueA shared.
Sound is really good and I do not think it is lacking bass.
I have headphones that are not neutral and sound rather"warm" and I think the bass range is a little too much.

It works well if you do not need :
- to use it with USB stick connected and need proper artists/albums/tracks browsing ;
- to EQ your headphones.

If one of those it's required, I'd stay away from this.
If not, then you can go for it...

Dec 26, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #172 of 273

Hi,

Now that I am at my desk again, I can comment a little further.

Sound is really good.
You will probably hear every detail on the recording.
Even some details you never heard before...
And even on tracks you listend to for hours and hundreds of times...

That being said, the sound has some emphasis on bass.
So if your headphone/speakers are also a little bass heavy, you will probably want some EQ.
The problem is you will have none...

The mids are really beautiful and well balanced.
So I'd say it's a winner here.

Now the treble is really good, not laid back but not a treble that will rip your ears off.
It is somewhat "relaxed" so you do not have any sibilance of any kind.

BUT the problem is, if you need EQ you will have to circumvent Eddict and that is a solution that is absolutely not stable.
In fact, I am waiting for the next firmware upgrade to decide if I keep this or if I definitely switch to a brand that is a little more "reactive" at fixing things and adding requested features.

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #174 of 273
I find that EH3 will have higher noise floor when playing higher sampling rate yesterday, although it's not much, but never encountered this on other DAC.
Can you please tell me what file was it and in which mode?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 28, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #177 of 273
Hi,

I also would like to report that I THINK the main problem in the EH-3 is Wi-Fi :frowning2:

Why do I think that ?
Because even when usign Eddict if I try to connect to a DLNA server with Wi-Fi, after a while connection is lost.
The EH-3 continues to play songs (weirdly enough) but the cover art vanishes and I can't pause or skip to next track.
Again, that is WITH EDDICT.

Using third party software, connection to EH-3 sometimes fail and sound is re-routed to another device.
Or sound get's jerky.
I have configured my phone/tablet to display bandwidth in the status bar.
I noticed that when sound gets jerky, the bandwidth usage drop to like 100kbps which is of course insufficient to get 24/96Khz files streaming.

Also I notice that, in the early morning, I have almost ZERO problems listening to a whole symphony.
That is when the Wi-Fi neighbourhood is calm... as everyone is asleep (in the house and in the vicinity).

So would you be kind enough to answer these questions and/or ask software team about those :
- is the Wi-Fi chip inside the EH-3 a 2.4Ghz or a 5Ghz chip (my router reports a 2.4Ghz chip but if I hook it up to 5Ghz it works so I am unsure) ;
- under what conditions they test the Wi-Fi in-house so I can try to get those conditions at home and see for myself.

If that problems goes, the EH-3 would be THE machine I was waiting for :wink:

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #178 of 273
Hi,

I also would like to report that I THINK the main problem in the EH-3 is Wi-Fi :frowning2:

Why do I think that ?
Because even when usign Eddict if I try to connect to a DLNA server with Wi-Fi, after a while connection is lost.
The EH-3 continues to play songs (weirdly enough) but the cover art vanishes and I can't pause or skip to next track.
Again, that is WITH EDDICT.

Using third party software, connection to EH-3 sometimes fail and sound is re-routed to another device.
Or sound get's jerky.
I have configured my phone/tablet to display bandwidth in the status bar.
I noticed that when sound gets jerky, the bandwidth usage drop to like 100kbps which is of course insufficient to get 24/96Khz files streaming.

Also I notice that, in the early morning, I have almost ZERO problems listening to a whole symphony.
That is when the Wi-Fi neighbourhood is calm... as everyone is asleep (in the house and in the vicinity).

So would you be kind enough to answer these questions and/or ask software team about those :
- is the Wi-Fi chip inside the EH-3 a 2.4Ghz or a 5Ghz chip (my router reports a 2.4Ghz chip but if I hook it up to 5Ghz it works so I am unsure) ;
- under what conditions they test the Wi-Fi in-house so I can try to get those conditions at home and see for myself.

I can only connect my EH3 to the Internet by setting my router to 802.11b/g. It just can't connect to anything higher than that in my case.
For me, the network function of the EH3 are useless because I have to limit the router to 802.11b/g, which means the wifi speed will be limited to 54Mbps. My phone and computer also need to be connected to wifi.
If the EH3 is really equipped with a wifi chip that can only support 802.11b/g, that is truely unbearable to have a device equipped with such outdated spec in 2023.

Dec 28, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #179 of 273
Since my report has been ignored like the others or maybe it's a feature... I repost with a photo.

Here you can see that Lane8 is not on the album of Dhafer Youssef

IMG_4582.jpeg

Dec 28, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #180 of 273

According to the provided specification it should work with both 2.4G and 5G networks.

If your EH3 has issues with local network only at certain times, especially when your other devices report drop in bandwidth at these times, we can only recommend putting it closer to the router or using wi-fi extender.

I can only connect my EH3 to the Internet by setting my router to 802.11b/g. It just can't connect to anything higher than that in my case.
For me, the network function of the EH3 are useless because I have to limit the router to 802.11b/g, which means the wifi speed will be limited to 54Mbps. My phone and computer also need to be connected to wifi.
If the EH3 is really equipped with a wifi chip that can only support 802.11b/g, that is truely unbearable to have a device equipped with such outdated spec in 2023.

Please what router are you using? There should be no such need for the router to be limited for EH3 to work, we never encountered such situation in our testing.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back