Shadow vs. ALO Rx?
Jan 26, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #46 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter
Had to dig this thread up again, as I dont think we ever got a 'Shadow vs Rx' or 'D4 vs Rx' comparison : happy to hear otherwise. I think Skylab had a backlog of amps to review, but I dont think the Rx was one of them - again, very happy to hear otherwise.

nope... unless someone wants to lend Skylab an Rx, i don't think he's got it on his to-do list.

but i'm still very happy with mine... it's got some playing time under its belt, and it really pairs well with the UM3X. one reason i went with the Rx over the Shadow is the latter's reputation as being slightly warm. while i don't have any problem with warmth, i find the UM3X's treble to be ever so slightly congested. the Rx fixes that... not that it's a warm amp, i think it's pretty much dead-on neutral but very open and airy, with tight, crisp bass.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #47 of 59
With regards to the D4 and Rx. I just sold both but I think the superficial differences between the two is that the Rx has a cleaner more transparent sound than the D4 and is more open sounding with a wider and better soundstage depth. The D4 seemed to have the sweeter midrange with a slight sense of warmth. I also think the Rx has better extension at both ends of the sound frequency spectrum.

I will say that from my very limited experience with amps, that they are generally overrated in the sense that one should read reviews with caution. From reviews I foolishly thought that I was going to see absolute differences but the differences an amp make to me is rather subtle. I also won't follow the school of thought that one amp is better than the other. It's all a matter of synergy with what they're paired with and preferential bias.

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #48 of 59
I might be missing something here - are you spamming us ? I didnt ask about the Arrow - I guess I must be missing something, per usual.

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #49 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... I will say that from my very limited experience with amps, that they are generally overrated in the sense that one should read reviews with caution. From reviews I foolishly thought that I was going to see absolute differences but the differences an amp make to me is rather subtle.

Do you mean that the addition of an amp, over using no amp, makes only a small difference in the quality of the sound? Thus an amp for an IEM is not that usefull? Using what earphones? Thanks.
Using JH13s what do others say? ALO RX, Shadow, or no amp?

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #50 of 59
I will sum up my experience this way: an amp makes a difference if it is able. Not all amps can drive balanced armatures like the JH13Pro or Fit Ear Private 333. Those are hard to drive BA driver earphones.

However, hearing those earphones in all their glory as opposed to hearing them driven straight from an iPod or Fuze is certainly better. Is it worth it for you whilst out and about? Personally, I forgo the extra sound and default to portability; my iPod/Fuze is in my trousers, not a rucksack.

I notice the sound immediately as my ears are extremely prejudiced. But as I said, I forgo the better bass, or lack of midrange suck out for about 150g of luggage in my pocket.

I didn't use the JH13Pro with the Shadow - I only used the FitEar Private and it hissed with the shadow, but not disappointingly so. All amps hiss with the FitEar, so I didn't expect much a difference. It was definitely acceptable. The Rx hisses more, but it isn't horrid. Some have said that they don't notice the hiss; some have said that the AMP3 pro hiss isn't bothersome, so hiss is 100% relative to the ears which behold it. Personally, I cannot believe that someone isn't bothered by the AMP3 Pro's hiss, but se la vi.

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #51 of 59
shigzeo> how do we tell if an amp is able?

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #52 of 59
Unfortunately, only by hearing. Most reviews don't cover it either as reviewers largely don't listen for/test for those differences. You could borrow one or ask an owner of one to do a loaded square wave test or RMAA with the amp in parallel with a hard to drive balanced armature earphone. Works very well. That much will reveal what the amp is capable of, but won't reveal its sonic signature really.

The Rx is flat and very able with both earphones and headphones. It is an amp and an incredible tool. That said, it doesn't exert enough of its own sound like some other amps do. If you want flavour, you will have to go for another company. For straight recording studio style of sound, it might still be one of a very few portable amps to do that while still scoring ability to really 'drive' balanced armature earphones.

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #53 of 59
Have you tested any other portable amps (that exert their own sound) but can still drive the JH13s well? I already have the iQube so I'm not keen on another 'no own sound' amp.

This is interesting though, because you're right that there seems to be very little awareness of this.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #55 of 59
The Shadow has a little more warmth maybe than the Rx, but for iems, it is noticeable in other areas; subdued width which is slightly more congested. I have bought a D4 - we will see what happens and I am planning to do the same thing with FiQuest. I imagine that any of these high powered amps hiss a similar amount, but who knows.

I did chronicle shortly a great amp which has a bit of colour. I found it at a recent Tokyo OFF meeting. Low hiss, good power, great driving capabilities for low Ω iems and horrid looks. If it goes on sale, you know what I will do. It is my current favourite, but alas: ain't available.

Jan 31, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #56 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundBite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean that the addition of an amp, over using no amp, makes only a small difference in the quality of the sound? Thus an amp for an IEM is not that usefull? Using what earphones? Thanks.
Using JH13s what do others say? ALO RX, Shadow, or no amp?

Hi SoundBite, I can only say from my experience. I swear that I hear very little to no differences which is why I said "superficial differences". I think the most important aspect is component synergy and as such statements like such and such amp is the best or better than another doesn't mean zit. My IE8 doesn't improve much with the Alo Rx or ibasso D4 but early listening impressions with the D10 tells me that it synergizes quite well with it. What I will say is that I've never had an epiphany moment with any amp that I've tried and that the differences are quite subtle and not as absolute a difference as one may think when reading general impressions about it.
Having said that I won't neglect the fact that what I may regard as a mere tiny difference may be big deal to someone else.

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #57 of 59
So I suppose we'll find out on touchmyapps once/if/when this amp becomes available?

Hiss is not a big deal to me at least. Once the music is playing... Can't tell.

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #59 of 59

Quote:
I have the 2 RX and shadows and owns differents portable amps.
This is my personal rate.
Source imod and pvcaps.Headphone Grado GS 1000 or westone 3 :
Music : Classical and Jazz.
XP7 Mod+ dedicate power supplie >RX>P 51>Shadow>Hornet Non M>Predator.

Just my personnal experience.

interesting bump,  else confirm that the alo rx has more power than the p51??? and does the alo rx have more power than pico amp or amp dac combo?  and i  would think the similarly sized pico slim would also bbe a good compare to the already slim allo rx?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back