Shadow vs. ALO Rx?
Dec 1, 2009 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

digihead

500+ Head-Fier
Been doing a bit of searching to see what folks think of the sound of the Shadow and ALO Rx, specifically with the JH13. I have a pair of the JH13 in the works and was looking at getting a portable amp.

I already have the SR-71A as my lone portable at the moment and plan to first evaluate the sound using that. However, I was wondering what the current thinking is on the better of the two amps Shadow and ALO Rx with the JH13. I have seen several posts of people saying they had planned to compare the two but very few follow up posts. Perhaps folks are lost in audio nirvana.

Any help is appreciated.

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 59
I take it you didn't like Jerry Harvey's recommendation for the best portable amp for the JH13 ? I like what I have read about the Rx, but I cant comment further until I've heard it.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take it you didn't like Jerry Harvey's recommendation for the best portable amp for the JH13 ? I like what I have read about the Rx, but I cant comment further until I've heard it.

I read that, however has Jerry also listened to the Shadow?

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the record, Ken (of ALO) said he thought the Shadow was on a par with the SR-71A, so likely the two are both very good. You may prefer one to the other, but at this level it gets down to personal preference.

My point exactly, however I know there are several people out there that have heard both the ALO Rx and the Shadow with the JH13 so I'm hoping for some direct comparisons.

Only thing I have read so far that compares the two basically said the ALO can lean a bit on the cold side while the Shadow leans a bit on the warmer side?

Anyone...?

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read that, however has Jerry also listened to the Shadow?

Jerry has heard the shadow as have I and it is a nice amp for it's size but the Rx sonically is better

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jerry has heard the shadow as have I and it is a nice amp for it's size but the Rx sonically is better

Nice. That's what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #9 of 59
I like the Rx, but I don't see how 'the Rx sonically is better' helps anyone to find a realistic answer. jp11801's review is very good, and could be used as reference (as it is in this thread), but I would not take a. or b. answers for much when deciding to spend 350-400$ on a portable amp.

Firstly, what are you expecting? What sound do you like? The differences between most amps are subtle to large and it is best to get opinions which elucidate differences, not maximise on this or that answers.

jp11801, what specifically is better about the Rx?

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #10 of 59
shigzeo, can you see why some of us throw our arms in the air and decide to do nothing ? Until I can afford the Lisa, I will continue to follow these threads closely, but common sense tells me that I'm not going to find a $1000 amp like the Lisa at a third of the price. Very happy to hear otherwise
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #11 of 59
I have a feeling that the Lisa will occupy a special place for a long time. Still, I would probably keep a mains amp rather than a portable which is the size of a mains amp. Although, battery power has so many advantages.

That said, if there is enough anecdotal evidence of one being better (Rx or Shadow), then it is easy to make sense of, but till then, a simple a. or b. is too... hard to swallow.

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #12 of 59
If only it *was* a or b ..

The D4 is getting rave reviews, HPA has thrown the uDAC into the 'what if you hook this DAC to this amp ?' equation and so it goes. As for needing a mains-powered amp, that is what many are waiting for with the Lisa RS. I guess most of us will know within a few months whether our expectations line up with reality. Interesting times.

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #13 of 59
my question is are both amps capable of driving both iems and full size cans. im trying to find an amp to drive both my RE0's and my Denon 5000's

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #14 of 59
Well, if by volume, you mean 'driving', then any source can drive any phone. My 600 ohm beyers get damn loud from an iPod shuffle (too loud). If by any sense of bass presence and texture, then it is harder to judge. Funnily enough, I find that the headphones which benefit in instantly audible ways are iems, ear phones, and low ohm headphones. Larger headphones (unless severely under driven), don't change nearly as drastically.

Still, the ALO Rx does a fantastic job with 600 ohm headphones.

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #15 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by froboy272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my question is are both amps capable of driving both iems and full size cans. im trying to find an amp to drive both my RE0's and my Denon 5000's

Since a number of amps have been mentioned in this thread (we started with the SR71A vs. Shadow), what do you mean by "both amps?" The SR71A can certainly handle your phones, probably slightly better than the Rx, but both will be good. If we've introduced the Shadow into the question, then maybe not. Ray mostly designed the Shadow for IEM's, although it will drive most phones pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back