Shadow vs. ALO Rx?
Dec 2, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #31 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since a number of amps have been mentioned in this thread (we started with the SR71A vs. Shadow), what do you mean by "both amps?" The SR71A can certainly handle your phones, probably slightly better than the Rx, but both will be good. If we've introduced the Shadow into the question, then maybe not. Ray mostly designed the Shadow for IEM's, although it will drive most phones pretty well.

im really just looking for something portable that will maximize both RE0's and D5000's. I play a lot of cards in a poker club where people complain constantly when they lose. Id like to be able to bring the denons there and feel confident i am still getting the best sound. I really am open to SR71A, Mustang, Shadow, Pico, or ALO RX.

This is all new for me and spending this kind of money on an amp makes me nervous i may not get the right one.

EDIT: I will be using a Nano for portable source so iv been leaning towards the mustang or pico since it seems to be a similar size match, plus the pico would give me DAC capability for use with my laptop.

Dec 2, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #32 of 59
Hi Jamato8,

Does the JH13pro hiss with the Lisa III?

Dec 2, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #33 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, just having some fun. I most likely wouldn't take my Woo 6 back and forth, tends to get bulky and then those tubes.

A power cord at the office and one at home I can see where taking the RS back and forth would be fun. I wish I could listen to music at work but just a bit difficult when you have to listen to those pesky alarms in ICU all the time. :^)

Putting your patients lives above head-fi audio ?

I am disappointed in you, Jam
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #34 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Jamato8,

Does the JH13pro hiss with the Lisa III?

I don't have the JH13, I do have UE-11's. I've owned my Lisa III for about 2 years, I do not hear any hiss. BUT - you will likely want/need an attenuator to use the Lisa with IEM's, you will get much better volume control (as well as eliminating any hiss). Check this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/l...nuator-455908/

Dec 2, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #35 of 59
If I had to compare the Rx and Shadow I would use a line another head-fier gave me which I think is very suiting. The shadow acts like a portable amp and does a extremely good job at it and is very special but the Rx acts like a home amp and just flows and sounds like the music is coming out effortlessly and to my ears the Rx is a more sonically sound amp.

Dec 2, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #36 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had to compare the Rx and Shadow I would use a line another head-fier gave me which I think is very suiting. The shadow acts like a portable amp and does a extremely good job at it and is very special but the Rx acts like a home amp and just flows and sounds like the music is coming out effortlessly and to my ears the Rx is a more sonically sound amp.

That is a good point and one I was actually thinking about this morning. In terms of portable amps, the SR-71A for me is the benchmark as it sounds closest to a home amp. It always seems as though the smaller amps can still sound great, but there is somewhat of a sonic sacrifice in order to achieve the size. With other portables, I found myself realizing that if I was going to hassle with a portable I might as well grab the SR-71A.

So, who knows. Totally up in the air on it right now.

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBY03evo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the ALO Rx suffer at all with hiss?

I can hear some very minimal hiss with my JH13s but it's not the end of the world...

If you think that the hiss will bother you, then you should go with the Shadow.

Dec 4, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #41 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBY03evo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will have to pass on the Rx then.

what cans do you plan to use with it?

Dec 4, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #43 of 59
Both Ray and Ken have return priveleges on their equipment. So try whichever you want and ifyou find hiss, or are troubled by the hiss, simply return it.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #44 of 59
Had to dig this thread up again, as I dont think we ever got a 'Shadow vs Rx' or 'D4 vs Rx' comparison : happy to hear otherwise. I think Skylab had a backlog of amps to review, but I dont think the Rx was one of them - again, very happy to hear otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back