SF South Bay Meet - Saturday, November 3, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #46 of 97
I did respond. You said I was on the wait list. I took that as my status. So I don’t know what is going on. I am semi frustrated at the moment. If I can’t go, I’ll live and perhaps go to the next big event, probably next summer.

I have good news that will hopefully relieve your frustration. I've been reaching out to members on the wait list in the order I received their requests, and you're next on the list. Contacting everyone has been a somewhat slow process, so my apologies.

Please post a list of equipment you intend to bring (or reply none if you are not bringing anything), and include your pick for a goto demo music track and why you chose that selection. I'll update the first post in this thread after you've posted your equipment list. If you have any questions or concerns, I'd be more that happy to help. So please don't hesitate contacting me via PM.

I'm glad to hear you're able to attend and I look forward to seeing you at the meet!

Oct 15, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #47 of 97
Interesting development today...

Spoke to CEETEE with Massdrop who said he may be able to loan us a system with a new prototype from Massdrop. He's still working out the details, but I expect to have more information as the meet approaches.

Everyone, keep your fingers crossed! :)

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #49 of 97
Things keep getting better and better every day. Today I have the pleasure to announce; we will be having a FREE giveaway at the meet!

As previously mentioned, Dan Wiggins with Periodic Audio will be providing not one, not two, but THREE Periodic Audio IEMS, an Mg, Ti and Be, for our meet.

Today Dan informed me that not only can we audition the IEMs, but each of the three IEMs can be given away to THREE lucky winners at our meet!

Giveaway prize details and rules have been added to the first post in this thread.

Please join me in thanking @DanWiggins for generously sponsoring the giveaway!

Here are pics of the prizes...

PeriodicAudio_Mg.png

PeriodicAudio_Ti.png

PeriodicAudio_Be.png

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #51 of 97
12 people at a time, wow thats quite the change.

Put me under the Waiting list

Gear I can bring:

Amp
Cary Audio Sli 80 Ultimate edition

Dac
Black Yggydrasil Gen1 A version not yet upgraded

Headphones
Sennheiser HD800S, Audeze LCD3 Fazor, Fostex TH-X00 Modded to Th900 Drivers with Custom Silver Cables.

Source Gear
Mutec MC3+ USB

Will have to find a Loaner laptop but might be able to get one By Nov 3rd, mine is not in working order.

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #52 of 97
Wow, thanks Dan for the giveaway. Sorry, I've been rather busy of late and haven't been active in this thread.

I don't really have a singular track that I use to test headphones with since I use various tracks that excel at certain things to test. For example, one track that I almost always use to test separation is "The Look" by Metronomy. My musical tastes stretch pretty wide, so I like to really delve into a lot of genres before declaring a headphone's greatness or lack thereof.

I think I'm going to bring these headphones:
HD800 + norne draug v3
Level 3 Lawton th900
Focal Utopia + norne silver draug
EMU teak with lawton lvl 1 mod and th900 cups
AKG 812

I might pull out some of these if it's too hard to transport everything, but I'll try my best. Let me know if you are more interested to try some of these headphones over others

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #53 of 97
12 people at a time, wow thats quite the change.

Put me under the Waiting list

Gear I can bring:

Amp
Cary Audio Sli 80 Ultimate edition

Dac
Black Yggydrasil Gen1 A version not yet upgraded

Headphones
Sennheiser HD800S, Audeze LCD3 Fazor, Fostex TH-X00 Modded to Th900 Drivers with Custom Silver Cables.

Source Gear
Mutec MC3+ USB

Will have to find a Loaner laptop but might be able to get one By Nov 3rd, mine is not in working order.

Hi Rainstar, thanks for joining our thread.

Just a little background... back in August, this "mini-meet" began at the request of a few Head-Fi members in the Mountain View/Sunnyvale/San Jose/Palo Alto/Stanford area. The Santa Clara Central Park Library was suggested as a possible free venue, and I was able to reserve the Sycamore conference room for the mini-meet. So, unfortunately, the 12 person limit is a library imposed restriction. Contractually the capacity limit is 10, but I was told by library staff 12 would be allowed.

Since August, interest for this meet has grown, hence the need for the waitlist. In the future, if someone is able to secure a free venue with a larger capacity, many more from around the Bay Area would be able to attend.

So that's the story behind the 12 person capacity. That said, I'll be happy to add you to the waitlist. You can track your status on the list by viewing the first post in this thread.

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #54 of 97
Wow, thanks Dan for the giveaway. Sorry, I've been rather busy of late and haven't been active in this thread.

I don't really have a singular track that I use to test headphones with since I use various tracks that excel at certain things to test. For example, one track that I almost always use to test separation is "The Look" by Metronomy. My musical tastes stretch pretty wide, so I like to really delve into a lot of genres before declaring a headphone's greatness or lack thereof.

I think I'm going to bring these headphones:
HD800 + norne draug v3
Level 3 Lawton th900
Focal Utopia + norne silver draug
EMU teak with lawton lvl 1 mod and th900 cups
AKG 812

I might pull out some of these if it's too hard to transport everything, but I'll try my best. Let me know if you are more interested to try some of these headphones over others

Glad to see you're back! I've updated your equipment list. Let me know if anything changes, or if I misstated any information. Thanks for the Metronomy reference. I'll have to check it out. Personally, I'd like to get some time with the Utopia. :)

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #56 of 97
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it as I'll be flying out that afternoon for a work trip. I was really looking forward to it as well, hopefully I can make the next one. Here is a open spot for someone on the waitlist.

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #57 of 97
Can I bring my +1? I realize there's limited space. She's interested in learning more about the audio gear, and thoroughly enjoys listening to my setup.

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #58 of 97
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it as I'll be flying out that afternoon for a work trip. I was really looking forward to it as well, hopefully I can make the next one. Here is a open spot for someone on the waitlist.

Thank you arjubx for letting me know. I'm sorry you won't be able to attend. Do try to make it to the next event!

Oct 17, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #59 of 97
Can I bring my +1? I realize there's limited space. She's interested in learning more about the audio gear, and thoroughly enjoys listening to my setup.

My initial reaction to your request would be to say yes, of course, your +1 is more than welcome to join us. However, please be aware that if we do exceed the room capacity, there is a chance that library staff will ask individuals to leave. I urge all attendees to be mindful of the maximum room occupancy restriction. That said, there are many spaces outside of the conference room where individuals can congregate, so if you don't mind playing tag team listening with the room, it's likely we can accommodate a select few +1 guests without drawing the attention of library staff. Note, this applies to guests who are not bringing equipment. I estimate the single conference room table will only accommodate a maximum of 12 full sized systems (if that). The 12 system limit is a hard physical constraint, rather than a library imposed restriction.

So, chuckwheat, yes please bring your +1.

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #60 of 97
Only two weeks to go before our meet! I'm looking forward to meeting all of you and for the chance to try out new gear.

As the meet draws near, I need everyone's help to wrap up a few administrative items.

1. As of today, the Attendees/Gear list section of the first post shows there are two openings available. With time running out, I'd like to finalize attendance for the meet. As I mentioned before, the waitlist is open, and I've been reaching out to individuals as their names appear on the list. To provide everyone an opportunity to reply, I need to impose the following restriction for everyone on the waitlist:

If you are contacted, you must respond with your decision within 72 hours, or forfeit your opportunity to attend.

I will continue reaching out to individuals on the waitlist (and wait 72 hours for a response) until room capacity is reached.

2. I'd like to finalize the equipment list. Please take a few moments to review the current equipment list, and either post or send me a PM with any additions or corrections.

3. If you haven't done so already, please post your answer to the following survey question:

If you had to name only one track, what would be your go-to "demo music" track, and why?

A number of you have already posted your picks. I've listened to the selections and found them to be helpful and diverse. Thank you to everyone who has responded, and to those of you who have not, you still have time - so post away! I'll compile all responses and post a summary prior to the meet.

Again, two weeks to go. Saturday, November 3, 2018, is right around the corner. I can't wait. WOOHOO!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back