SF South Bay Meet - Saturday, November 3, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #61 of 97
This is Head-Fi, so who's up for a comparison? I've updated my equipment list for the meet with a few items. My iPhone and Mojo are out, and a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, iFi Audio micro iDSD and Benchmark Media DAC1 PRE are in.

This revised setup will allow for a quick A/B comparison of the iFi Audio micro iDSD v.s. the Benchmark Media DAC1 PRE. If you have never A/B'd DACs in the past, this is your opportunity to easily compare the differences between these two DACs as heard through the STAX SR-009 headphones. Some might find this comparison exercise enlightening.

Oct 22, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #62 of 97
Things keep getting better and better every day. Today I have the pleasure to announce; we will be having a FREE giveaway at the meet!

As previously mentioned, Dan Wiggins with Periodic Audio will be providing not one, not two, but THREE Periodic Audio IEMS, an Mg, Ti and Be, for our meet.

Today Dan informed me that not only can we audition the IEMs, but each of the three IEMs can be given away to THREE lucky winners at our meet!

Giveaway prize details and rules have been added to the first post in this thread.

Please join me in thanking @DanWiggins for generously sponsoring the giveaway!

Here are pics of the prizes...

That is amazing! Thanks for all your work @jazzfan and thank you @DanWiggins for the giveaways!!
The odds of winning are 1 in 4, which are quite incredible odds :D
I'm really eager to see you all at the meet. I have a boatload of stuff to bring, so I may end up showing up a little early to help you out jazzfan. We can PM each other as the day draws nearer.

Take care,
J.

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #63 of 97
That is amazing! Thanks for all your work @jazzfan and thank you @DanWiggins for the giveaways!!
I'm really eager to see you all at the meet. I have a boatload of stuff to bring, so I may end up showing up a little early to help you out jazzfan. We can PM each other as the day draws nearer.

Take care,
J.
You're welcome! And if you hit the big Lottery (the $1.6 billion one), remember me! :D

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #65 of 97

Take care,
J.

Thanks for the offer to help setup! If everyone shows up with large rigs, space on the conference room table may be tight, but we'll do out best to accommodate everyone. I'll be in touch.

Oct 24, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #68 of 97
Hello there. I'd love to be added to the waiting list!

Hi montrey,

Welcome! You've been added to the list. I'll notify you if we have another opening.

Oct 24, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #69 of 97
You may have read reports that Audioquest will no longer produce the Nighthawk/Nightowl Carbon($699 Retail). Well, many outlets are blowing out their remaining inventory, and I saw a Crutchfield ad listing the Nighthawk Carbon for $299 with free shipping. I have no idea how they sound, but this offer seemed like too good a deal to pass up, so I ordered a pair. The shipment should arrive next week. I'll bring them along to the meet. If anyone is interested, you're welcome try them out.

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #70 of 97
With a little over one week to go, we are once again at capacity. Today, I double checked the size of the conference room table and took another picture.

upload_2018-10-25_16-8-38.jpeg

The table is 12' long with a 4' 6" wide center and 3' wide ends. As previously noted, space on the conference room table will be tight. Plan on stacking as much gear as is practical to save room for others. If you know you will be bringing a large rig, let me know so I can reserve an end seat for your setup.

Also, this is an important reminder to bring a power strip for your setup if it needs one. There are sixteen outlets located down the center line of the table, and we have twelve rigs. I'll bring along a heavy duty extension cord with three additional receptacles that we can use if needed.

I'll post the results of the meet survey question next week. You still have time to post your vote for a go-to demo track. Remember vote early, and vote often! :gs1000smile:

See you at the meet!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #71 of 97
I'll bring a small power strip as well. Doesn't hurt to have more outlets!

Also since there are some IEMs at this meet as well, I'll probably be bringing some chi-fi. KZ ZS5 v1 & v2 and KZ ZST, probably.

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #72 of 97
I'll bring a small power strip as well. Doesn't hurt to have more outlets!

Also since there are some IEMs at this meet as well, I'll probably be bringing some chi-fi. KZ ZS5 v1 & v2 and KZ ZST, probably.

Great! I'll add them to your list.

Oct 28, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #73 of 97
SF South Bay Meet - Saturday, November 3, 2018 - Survey Question Results

Prior to the meet I asked everyone the following question:

If you had to name only one track, what would be your go-to "demo music" track, and why?

Here's a summary of the diverse responses I received. A big thanks to everyone who participated for your suggestions and comments!

From @calbear, "Devil May Care" by Diana Krall on "Live in Paris"

"You can hear all the nuances of her voice and breaths, the separation and soundstage of the instruments and with the right equipment, the feeling that you are right there in the performance."

upload_2018-10-28_11-43-26.png

From @Hobroblin, "Fun House" by The Stooges on "Fun House"

"Iggy does some some singing in both his upper and lower registers, plus a fair bit of yelling, hooting, squawking, grunting and crooning, followed by several minutes of his losing his absolute mind. Instrumentally the interplay between the guitar and sax is interesting, the drums are mostly snare and cymbals, with the lower end a nice clean punchy base. The wah pedal that shows up about halfway through is a nice treat too."

upload_2018-10-28_11-44-15.png

From @jazzfan (myself), "Squib Cakes" by Tower of Power on "Tower Of Power - Direct"

"On a good system, the full dynamic range of the band comes across in its full glory. On lesser systems, this recording can sound thin and lifeless. If this track doesn't sound "live", try it on a better system, and BTW... turn up the volume!"

10170171.png

From @Henrysharoop, "Breathe Into Me" by Marian Hill on "ACT ONE (The Complete Collection)"

"Its got a mixture of female vocals, extremely deep subbass, and a good test for soundstage."

upload_2018-10-28_11-44-57.png

From @DecentLevi, "Clipper" by Autechre on "Tri Repetae"

upload_2018-10-28_11-45-44.png

From @JVal, "The Look" by Metronomy on "The English River"

"one track that I almost always use to test separation"

upload_2018-10-28_11-47-44.png

From @Rainstar, "Peripherals" by Tipper on "Fathoms EP"

"really into expanding and focusing on 3d imaging and soundstage."

upload_2018-10-28_11-48-26.png

From @morinu, "Time" by Pink Floyd on "Dark Side Of The Moon"

"This track has a good range of high and lows. In some cases it gets a bit harsh so the ideal headphone for me is a fun presentation without annoying me on the highs"

upload_2018-10-28_11-49-8.png

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #74 of 97
A little late to the party. I really want to make it so please add me to the backup list.

Dac: Pro iDSD
Amps: Violectric 281, Soundaware P1
Headphone: Susvara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back