Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800 Available This Week
Dec 10, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #18 of 247
Nice to know the HD700 connectors are the same as my cheapo Senn HD212...

C'mon Sennheiser, at least standardize going forward. I can sort of understand the HD25/600/650 connectors being a holdover from the past (the spring clips with exposed leads module is a terrible idea, but that's another matter), but that's no excuse with your flagship level headphones.

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #22 of 247
Why is America getting the cable so late? I have had mine for my hdvd800 for quite a while now thx to customcables ....read about 2? months ago.
Balanced HD800 with hdvd800 is in a different league than most other headphones!

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #24 of 247
Using high-quality parts to assemble a cable is not the same as designing cables to have perfect synergy with the headphones. These official Sennheiser cables are designed for those models.

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #26 of 247
$400+ cable for $1500 headphone = $1900, not even including Amp. Those head-fiers are loosing minds and brains nowadays. Look at how many expensive stuffs they buy, $2000 for cable, $15000 for Amp, $5000 for headphone. High-end audio world is destroyed by the greediness of audio companies. Sennheiser products are getting seriously overpriced. $1500 headphone must come with stock and balance cable, period.

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #27 of 247
I cannot stop laughing about this
biggrin.gif
! Mark my words - the true story is that these cables will be dirt cheap for the dealers and when you are from now on standing in a shop considering buying a HD800 they can then easily say "we'll give you a balanced cable for free since you are such a good customer" and you'll feel you really got something extra for your money while in reality they just gave you a 25$ cable - ha ha ha ha!!!
blink.gif

No wonder they made their new amplifier balanced, they probalby have the same margin on the cable as the amp... Truth is, if their flagship headphone sounds better balanced they should ship it that way in the first place by simply having an adapter plug (to let the client choose balanced or not) and not this...

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #28 of 247
Using high-quality parts to assemble a cable is not the same as designing cables to have perfect synergy with the headphones. These official Sennheiser cables are designed for those models.

We're going to be putting these to the test over at Audio360.org SOON!
We currently have them in-house and will be giving them a go.  

Thanks to @HiFiGuy528 for acquiring the review samples!

I also have other cables for my HD800's (Cardas Clear, WyWires, soon DoubleHelix)
so we'll see how they shake out.

HiFiguy means they voiced these cables specifically for the headphone (since I haven't seen or heard it yet - or received technical info, this could mean anything from using a certain geometry, dialectric, material science): all of these things could be employed in order to find a cable that mates well with the headphones. It's all about synergy - so lets see what happens!

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #29 of 247

I would normally agree with this, if there were something uncommon or special about the materials they were using.  I have to assume they are using the same thin gauge wire as the unbalanced HD800 cable which isn't anything spectacular.  I'll admit they do look nice, but a poor value. At that price they should at least throw something in like OCC copper or something for at very least psychological benefit.

A good example of the value I speak of is the Oyaide Neo D+ S-class RCA cable:

http://www.amazon.com/Oyaide-Series-Class-RCA-Cable/dp/B004HBPYS6
http://www.neo-w.com/catalog/2010/12/d-rca_en.html

They utilized Platinum/Rhodium plated terminals and OCC wires, with aluminum housings and flat cable structure.  They sell for $130/1m which isn't cheap but at least they're throwing in the premium materials for the price.  Even if there are those who would argue their sonic benefit.  They are marketed towards DJ's however which explains their lower price.  If they were marketed towards audiophiles, they would likely retail for $500-$1000 or more.

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #30 of 247
I'd much rather put $200-$400 into something like Toxic Cables or Double Helix Cables, but it's also nice to have an officail cable for the same headphone, so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back