Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800 Available This Week
Dec 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #151 of 247
  That is exactly what I have.  I had the original HD650 cables, I cut them about 1 foot up and inserted both a male and female 4 pin XLR connectors.  Then if I'm listening to a SE amp, I use the adapter to get back to signal ended.  Cost about $15 total.

Just to add... the fine copper strands on the Senn cables are coated so that will need to be removed, otherwise the soldering will not adhere.
I found that very fine grade emery cloth does an excellent job.

Haven’t a photo of the Senns cable but here’s a $10 job on my K701s as an example.

Still it would be nice to have Senn's OEM blanced cable (as they do look nice) for my HD700s which are on route, but they're not in the budget so it's always nice to have an inexpensive alternative to tide one over.

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #154 of 247
  Just to add... the fine copper strands on the Senn cables are coated so that will need to be removed, otherwise the soldering will not adhere.
I found that very fine grade emery cloth does an excellent job.

Haven’t a photo of the Senns cable but here’s a $10 job on my K701s as an example.

Still it would be nice to have Senn's OEM blanced cable (as they do look nice) for my HD700s which are on route, but they're not in the budget so it's always nice to have an inexpensive alternative to tide one over.

I did it a while ago and can't remember exactly how I cleaned them.  I remember it was a bit of a PITA.  I'm guessing someone here has a really good way of doing it.

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #158 of 247
  Most likely not. Balanced cables are really for better shielding in environments prone to interference.
But it gives audiophools another thing to waste their money on.

Hi I just wanted ask what is so magnificent about these cables,
will they enhance the sound quality of my Sennheiser headphones?

If the connectors and the wire are of a superior quality to what is currently being used then maybe it's possible there may be a better transmission of electrical current, also a balanced configuration might reduce any possible crosstalk at the common ground with unbalanced cable.
If the manufacturer of the head-amp focused more importance on the design of a completely balanced configuration and the unbalanced output was only thrown in as an after thought for convenience then one may discover a balanced cable exposes the full potential of a balanced input signal, but other than that the increased gain from the balanced output, (which may have many believing there is an improvement in sound quality as even a slight dB difference can make a huge "psycho-acoustic' difference), there should be little if any dissimilarity when using the unbalanced headphone socket.
Balanced cables between active components can in some set-ups make a big difference with a reduced noise floor due to electrical interference but has little effect IMHO on headphones or speakers.

The connectors do look nice though.
smile.gif

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #161 of 247

Hi I just wanted ask what is so magnificent about these cables,
will they enhance the sound quality of my Sennheiser headphones?

Most likely not. Balanced cables are really for better shielding in environments prone to interference.

...right, balanced is definitely an advantage in a studio environment especially for weaker signals as mics or for bridging longer distances in an environment with a lot of crossfeeding equipment around.

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #162 of 247

I don't think you understand the difference between general audio "balanced" and the way it gets used in the headphone realm. Your condescending tone over it doesn't help your case either. 

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #164 of 247
CharlestonCable made me an excellent quality HD-800 4-pin balanced cable (Canare) for $150. If one insists on the ultra-maxi-shmaltzy level cables, they offer those as well. They've made me balanced cables for all my headphones.

DISCLAIMER: I am only a long-time satisfied customer and have no financial interest in this company.

http://www.charlestoncablecompany.com/store/p27/Sennheiser_HD_800_Headphone_Cable_--_Canare.html

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #165 of 247
I don't think you understand the difference between general audio "balanced" and the way it gets used in the headphone realm.

Really, there shouldn't have to be a difference for anyone to understand. It should mean the same thing in the headphone realm as it means in the rest of the audio realm. Co-opting a term that has had a specific meaning for over a century and using it to mean something different makes the headphone realm look a bit backwaterish.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back