Sennheiser's new dynamic flagship?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #61 of 73
Maybe they will announce it on IFA this September. I'm curious if we will see HD820, closed back version of HD800S or HD850. Sennheiser determines the refference value in headphones world for years already, so I'm excited.

It may be Hifiman this time, and using that references, we will see $8200 Headphones ...judging from the number HD820! loL

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #62 of 73
Is it well known what exactly makes open headphones sound better to most people? Physically, it seems that with closed headphones, you always get positive and (with a slight time and intensity difference) negative pressure from any movement of the driver (because of reflections), while open headphones take that extra pressure away, dissipating it into the room (and it's not loud enough to be reflected back into the headphone). That should reduce distortion as well.
So the more you can absorb that pressure instead of reflecting it, the more open the headphones should sound... right? Essentially you have to build an anechoic chamber around the driver. A more effective one is possibly bigger, so I wouldn't be surprised if such an attempt resulted in large (deep) earcups.
I am so not a physicist, though :) It seems so obvious that something's probably incorrect about it.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #64 of 73
It would be great to see Senn release something that puts HD800-Technicalities into a closed-back form.

The experiment failed if its performance is at or under CFA Andromeda-level.

I just wish Sennheiser releases a closed-back HD 800 that doesn't lose a dime to a stock HD 800 in Resolution, else Sennheisers dynamic-driver master race has finally come to it's end after 21,9 years of dominance. (HD 580 / 1996).

Thank you Ken Ball for putting Sennheiser High-End dynamic-Treble into IEMs, it was long overdue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 8, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #70 of 73
Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #71 of 73
Yup, as has been said before NO HD-800 successor, as that would have cost 8000USD -
this by the way is the FIRST 100% price increase in Sennheisers HD-series since introduction of HD 800 in 2009.
And there will be much more distortion than in a well-amped HD 600/650;
although their sanity this time won on putting the same' ole' HD 800 300 ohm motor into it.
Nothing to see here, most interesting products will remain in the form of HE-90, HE-60 and HE-1.

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #72 of 73
The HD 820 establishes a new reference standard for its class, with an incredibly realistic and natural sound field. This breakthrough performance has been achieved through a special innovation: Over each of the legendary Sennheiser Ring Radiator transducers are unique glass covers. Revealing the acoustics within, the patent-pending curved Gorilla glass serves to reflect the sound waves from the rear of the transducer to two absorber chambers, which results in minimal resonance.
I feel like quoting myself:
So the more you can absorb that pressure instead of reflecting it, the more open the headphones should sound... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back