Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 24, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #3,901 of 4,141
I had the 1060 here for a while. They really need to be modded to sound decent. Still then the 650 sounded better.
Agreed. I sent my M1060's back because they sounded awful got rock/metal. 6xx sounds great stock and feel much better made. To me the m1060's felt cheap and frail.

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #3,902 of 4,141
Thanks! I think I will get HD6XX, because I really like vocals, plus used HD6XXs always sell for more than $200 making it a great investment.
Well I think they’re no longer a rarity so I would not expect used pairs to sell for more than 200...

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #3,903 of 4,141
Guys I am trying to decide between HD6xx and M1060. The music I listen to is rarely bass heavy, I listen to radiohead, queen, melua, scorpions etc. What would you recommend?
i have both and i am huge fan of the 1060 and it is my main driver , but based on your music i think the HD6XX will be better choice ,, specially for queen and scorpions.

Apr 25, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #3,904 of 4,141
I would not think of the HD650/HD6XX as the best headphones for Rock/Metal. The HD600 is a much better choice and in the same price range as the HD6xx I’d see how the HD58x performs. Another one I can think of at the moment is the DT990. But if you can stand Grado’s comfort, I’d say just go for a pair of used 325e

May 2, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #3,907 of 4,141
After nearly two months with my HD6xx I am still in two minds about them. The way my HD540 Ref1s are set up and going, they still leave everything else with something to be desired about them. The HD6xx have their good points, while performing better from top to bottom with the Mogami 2893 cable rather than the stock cable - being noticeable more linear, more transparent and dynamically free yet relaxed at the same time - I just am not a fan of the stock cable with them or the velour pads. I have a set of Brainwavz HM5 pads coming, probably tomorrow and I want to ask those who have used them, do you discard the stock inner foam pads and keep the HM5s as they are, keep the inner foams and cut out the mesh in the HM5s, or use both?
I have recently bought some original leather pads for my HD250s and I certainly needed to cut the mesh from them, otherwise they just wrinkled and messed up the foams underneath.
Thanks for any help here :)

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #3,909 of 4,141
Mogami cable from Venus Audio. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122113609321?rmvSB=true
They are sometimes a touch slow to respond, but they WILL answer you if you have questions. I made my own from Mogami 2893, as is well noted here nearby in this thread. There's really no need to spend big when you can have a cable this good ... unless you really want to :)

May 3, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #3,912 of 4,141
Whats a good upgrade cable for the 6xx?
What’s wrong with the cable? Too short? Too long? Too heavy? Too light? Color wrong? Want a different plug? What are you looking for?

May 3, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #3,913 of 4,141
Regarding the excellent Mogami cables that I use with nearly all of my headphones now, I messaged Venus Audio, just to clarify what they are using there. It's pretty much as I thought, so here's the guts: Venus Audio use the Mogami 2534 quad core microphone cable as standard and only the finest quality connectors, no cheap Chinese stuff, it's all Cardas, Furutech, Eidolic or Neutrik, depending on what's needed. When a customer requires the smaller 2.5mm connectors - as in my HifiMAN HE400S for example - they use the slightly thinner 2893 cable, identical construction, just a touch thinner in width.
That's it. Wonderful cable with the best connectors at a great price, what more could you ask for :)
This cable is NOT a tone control, it will tell you exactly what is coming before it and how your headphones might modify that signal. The differences between my upgraded HD540 Reference 1s and the HD6xx is very noticeable, using exactly the same gear ahead of them. I love the stuff, it's a great reference and I'm keen to try the interconnect version from Mogami too.

May 7, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #3,914 of 4,141
Anyone here using the Brainwavz HM5 pads with their HD6xx? My new pads came in the mail today and on initial impressions they're somewhat of a disappointment. Best thing is that they are extremely comfortable! Sonically though, they have far more bass than the stock pads and the treble seems pinched forward in some areas and reduced at the very top. Mids appear at this stage to be more laid back, but it could just be the much fuller bass that makes it seem that way. The HM5s are also not as well made as the Dekoni pads, there being construction differences between the two pads as well as one having a wrinkled backing fabric and the other not so, I cut them out anyway, they just don't look right and hinder the locking in of the ring into the capsules. I reckon that's the difference between $20AU pads and the $80 Dekoni Elite Hybrids, the latter being far better made, frequency tested and with balanced pairs. I might just have to cough up for quality over budget!
Meantime, I will give them a few hours and see how I go with a range of material.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #3,915 of 4,141
It's generally regarded that stock HD 650 pads are the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back