Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
May 8, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #3,916 of 4,141
It's generally regarded that stock HD 650 pads are the best.
Mmm, they're certainly a better balance (even if they're short on bass depth and linearity) than the HM5s. More listening with the latter does not improve them for me .. so far and I suspect they won't either, although I will put some classical through them tonight. Far too much bass, simply out of balance, but damn they are comfortable! I suspect that the Dekoni Elite Hybrids are a much better match, since they have been tested thoroughly with the various Sennheiser cans. I personally don't like the stock pads that much, they're not especially comfortable and the results are nowhere near as linear as my HD540 Ref1s. They're ok, the whole headphone improves with the Mogami cable as the best bet so far and I've had quite enjoyable results on some music.

May 15, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #3,919 of 4,141
I tried my best with the Brainwavz HM5 pads but I decided they were just far too unbalanced to be usable and have gone back to the stock pads, which I don't like that much either. I enjoy them with a couple of albums only, especially Neil Young's Sleeps With Angels, they seem to work here, presenting the dynamic subtleties of the kick drum very well at the rear of the soundstage and keeping the feedback guitar sound remarkably detailed and listenable. Soundstage is still not a patch on the HD540 Ref 1s, neither is the sheer balance from top to bottom or the communicative soul that pours from the Ref1s.
Because I want to get something really good from the HD6xx if possible, I have gone for a pair of Dekoni Elite Velour pads in the latest Massdrop. Looking at the graphs available from this site from Dekoni showing the various pads in relation to stock pads, it's the EV pads that look as if they might bring me the balance I'm looking for. Plus they are apparently extremely comfortable. The sheer open naturalness of the Mogami cable also helps the HD6xx to sound less constrained.

May 30, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #3,920 of 4,141
As someone who owns and demo'd a lot of IEMs (Legend X, N5005, ER4XR, MD+, EE Bravado), are the 6XX a good beginner headphone?

Looking for something with reference like sound and an elevated bass with decent comfort and isolation (I realize this is a lot).

The price of the 6XX fits well in my budget range.

May 30, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #3,921 of 4,141
As someone who owns and demo'd a lot of IEMs (Legend X, N5005, ER4XR, MD+, EE Bravado), are the 6XX a good beginner headphone?

Looking for something with reference like sound and an elevated bass with decent comfort and isolation (I realize this is a lot).

no. The HD6xx has no isolation.

You will want closed headphones if you want isolation. Even then, nothing will isolate like IEMs.

May 30, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #3,922 of 4,141

Apart from the bad isolation (these are open headphones), I would not caracterize these as beginner headphones, rather as « end game » headphones for most people who are not ready to pay excessive amount for high end headphones. Sound is impressive, bass is rather good for an open headphone. But you may look for closed back headphones such as the Massdrop/Fostex or similar headphones if you need bassy closed headphones rather than open mid centric headphones.

May 31, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #3,924 of 4,141
Apart from the bad isolation (these are open headphones), I would not caracterize these as beginner headphones, rather as « end game » headphones for most people who are not ready to pay excessive amount for high end headphones. Sound is impressive, bass is rather good for an open headphone. But you may look for closed back headphones such as the Massdrop/Fostex or similar headphones if you need bassy closed headphones rather than open mid centric headphones.

Funny you should mention Massdrop/Fostex. They're actually doing a Massdrop x Fostex TR-X00 drop tomorrow for USD419.99.

I assume isolation is ok on these as they're closed backs? They look great too.

May 31, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #3,925 of 4,141
Any value for $ balanced cable ( XLR ) that you guys can recommend? Thanks

I personally use this cable with the jotunheim, and have no reason to complain. I like it because it’s very flexible and at 10 ft, the perfect length for me. There are other cables in that price range, such as the fanmusic cable that’s also sold on Massdrop. I would recommend against this one, because it has a strange issue of subdued highs and muddy bass for some reason. The effect is clear when compared against the ZY-002 cable. You can also order custom cables from Venus Audio on eBay at very reasonable prices. Also can buy used cables at a fraction of the cost at Head-fi or eBay. Lots of choices!

I am considering building my own custom cables for my headphones, because you can buy OFC/OCC wire and the connectors at a fraction of the cost of aftermarket cables, and it’s a very satisfying hobby. With the variety of colors and patterns available with the paracord sheaths, you can design your personal color scheme as well. All you have to do is learn some soldering, which is not terribly difficult.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #3,926 of 4,141
Funny you should mention Massdrop/Fostex. They're actually doing a Massdrop x Fostex TR-X00 drop tomorrow for USD419.99.

I assume isolation is ok on these as they're closed backs? They look great too.
These are practically open they leak so much. They are not a good solution if you want a lot of isolation. Great cans though.

May 31, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #3,927 of 4,141
These are practically open they leak so much. They are not a good solution if you want a lot of isolation. Great cans though.

Ya, it seems I actually have to go in-store to test isolation. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #3,928 of 4,141
Wow, here's one for the books! I found the new Dekoni Elite Velour pads a touch too warm for the R2R, so I went back to the stock pads - with Mogami cable - and the result is quite stunningly good! The best I've ever heard the HD6xx/650s. Yes, they lack lower bass dynamic range (the stock pads), but the overall balance is so good that I can't say I particularly care with most music. Only with this amp though.
F'rinstance, I have been just running the amp with a large iTunes selection, quite a few of them recordings of artists from the excellent X-Factor TV series of a couple of years ago. Like .. wow! Totally ALIVE! As in sitting in the audience alive. Even Devo whipping it into shape sounds brilliant :) This amp and DAC is simply outrageous! Not even just for the money, simply brilliant on it's own terms. It readily ebbs and flows in SQ depending on the quality .. or lack thereof - of the various tracks. At all times though, it is superbly alive and musical. Along with the Schiit gear, I am gratefully stunned that such quality kit is available for such reachable prices.
The USB input - via Kimber USB and Jitterbug - is easily the best I've ever enjoyed, that's without blocking the 5V pin on the cable.

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #3,930 of 4,141
Guys looks like my HD6XXs will be shipped a little earlier and I have yet to buy an AMP... Since Liquid Spark release has been delayed it is not an option any more.

I was thinking about getting Fulla 2 or Magni 3 (+ onboard DAC) which one would be better?

How does BeyondHD AMP from Firestone Audio compare to options mentioned above?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back