Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jun 9, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #3,931 of 4,141
Guys looks like my HD6XXs will be shipped a little earlier and I have yet to buy an AMP... Since Liquid Spark release has been delayed it is not an option any more.

I was thinking about getting Fulla 2 or Magni 3 (+ onboard DAC) which one would be better?

How does BeyondHD AMP from Firestone Audio compare to options mentioned above?

Magni 3 for sure, but need a separate DAC (Modi) as well, since Magni 3 doesn’t come with a DAC.

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #3,934 of 4,141
That depends on how good the onboard DAC is (I am assuming a laptop or pc?). In my experience, the final sound is as good as the dac feeding it, when you have a quality amp.

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #3,936 of 4,141

It seems that it is a very humble DAC. It probably would work out, but its specifications are not very impressive, to be polite. I would strongly recommend a Modi DAC or a Dragonfly Black (which may be used in DAC mode alone and has the option to double as a portable DAC/Amp) or a Massdrop SDAC, all of which may be had for 99$ or less, great if you are on a tight budget (and even if not). You will thank me...

For the amp, you really can’t go wrong with the Magni3. Other options exist from JDS (O2), Topping, etc. But again you cannot go wrong with the Magni3. It’s powerful, uses discrete components, at 99$ it’s very cheap for what it offers.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #3,938 of 4,141
I was considering pairing Magni 3 with FiiO D3 or Nuforce Udac 3, what do you guys think? Is D3 any good? Is Udac 3 better ?
Are you able to distinguish very subtle differences with your hearing? If you are, then you just have to figure out a way to AB year thoose DACs. If you are not, then just about any decent DAC will work fine.

Start with what you have and try one other DAC later. It’s hard, but try not to have expectation bias. Virtually impossible. Most people probably would not be able to tell the difference between the DACs you mentioned. Shop for price , features, and form factor in that price range.

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #3,939 of 4,141
I was considering pairing Magni 3 with FiiO D3 or Nuforce Udac 3, what do you guys think? Is D3 any good? Is Udac 3 better ?
I do not know these DACs. Why not play safe and buy the Modi? You may stack it over the Magni3.

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #3,941 of 4,141
Username checks out
Most onboard DACs on computers are passable or mediocre at best, except maybe for Apple computers which use fair quality Cirrus Logic or Wolfson DACs (same manufacturer now).
Even cheaply implemented DACs may work out with a Magni3 but I would strongly recommend to invest in an outboard reputable budget DAC. By the way usernames may be changed after all...so I guess there is hope for him...

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #3,942 of 4,141
I do not know these DACs. Why not play safe and buy the Modi? You may stack it over the Magni3.
The Modi Multibit and Magni 3 are sublime together. I run 600 ohm Sennheiser HD540 Reference headphones through them to perfection, loads of power, finesse, dynamic range and best of all - at least for me - an organic, alive and 3D soundscape that is the highlight for me after 40+ years of listening to all levels of hifi gear and dabbling in creating my own. Yes, I know there is even better out there, but as a combination of those elements it really works musical magic. At the price, simply wonderful!

Jun 13, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #3,943 of 4,141
Guys it's me again.

I was thinking here about going with Fulla 2 as AMP/DAC and then upgrading to Monoprice liquid Spark (and using fulla 2 as a dac) or another option would be to just go with Magni 3. Which one should I take?

How much will I be missing out on just Fulla 2?

Also my preconception about Liquid Spark is based on this source http://www.enjoythemusic.com/CanJam_SoCal_2018/page3.htm Is it reputable? Is it worth it to wait for Liquid Spark based on what he is saying?

Jun 13, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #3,944 of 4,141
Guys it's me again.

I was thinking here about going with Fulla 2 as AMP/DAC and then upgrading to Monoprice liquid Spark (and using fulla 2 as a dac) or another option would be to just go with Magni 3. Which one should I take?

How much will I be missing out on just Fulla 2?

Also my preconception about Liquid Spark is based on this source http://www.enjoythemusic.com/CanJam_SoCal_2018/page3.htm Is it reputable? Is it worth it to wait for Liquid Spark based on what he is saying?
I don't think the Fulla used as a DAC for a much better amplifier will satisfy you that much, too big a difference in sound quality, despite the pricing of the L-Spark. I have found etm.com to be pretty accurate so far, at least in using gear they have also highly recommended. I raised an eyebrow or two reading what they said about the L-Spark myself, it looks very interesting and at that price, it could be a right cracker of an amp. Far be it for me to suggest much more than my own personal opinion and that would be to wait for the L-Spark and buy a nice little DAC to go with it, maybe a Modi 2, or even better a Modi Multibit.
As far as missing out by using just the Fulla 2, I would be missing out a lot, but you might not and be quite happy enough at that level, I know plenty of folks who are. I suspect you'd like to go better than that :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back