Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 20, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #2,971 of 4,141
  The HD6XX is good, a cable upgrade would take it a step higher and a good amp/dac combo can take it another step higher. But for me the end dame is still the LCD-X. 

With Cardas cable upgrade and Mojo + RA2 set up.. i can say my HD650/Hd6xx is quite close to LCD-X....!!

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #2,972 of 4,141
The 6XX is only a renamed 650, only now we are getting it in a cheaper price thus why I mentioned the price of the 650 when it was first released. In my post I have stated clearly "But for ME..". And I did not in any way compare the 6XX to LCD-X. I only mentioned the 6XX is good, but the endgame is LCD-X for me. Which part of my post shows a comparison between the two different headphones?

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #2,973 of 4,141
  The 6XX is only a renamed 650, only now we are getting it in a cheaper price thus why I mentioned the price of the 650 when it was first released. In my post I have stated clearly "But for ME..". And I did not in any way compare the 6XX to LCD-X. I only mentioned the 6XX is good, but the endgame is LCD-X for me. Which part of my post shows a comparison between the two different headphones?

I was about to buy LCD-X, but didn't buy for it's weight :frowning2:
I felt like wearing an Helmet and if i bend down then it will fall... No doubt its one of the best headphones available in the market !

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #2,974 of 4,141
I felt like wearing an Helmet and if i bend down then it will fall... No doubt its one of the best headphones available in the market !

But the X is already lighter than the other LCD series, and no doubt that the LCD series are a bunch of heavies! I was just saving up for the X then the 6XX popped up and I was like.. "why not?" Price is too tempting! But that was rather unfortunate for you, if the weight isn't any issue then you'd be living happily ever after.

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #2,975 of 4,141

But the X is already lighter than the other LCD series, and no doubt that the LCD series are a bunch of heavies! I was just saving up for the X then the 6XX popped up and I was like.. "why not?" Price is too tempting! But that was rather unfortunate for you, if the weight isn't any issue then you'd be living happily ever after.

True, but now i am inclined towards Dynamic drivers only..for long listening sessions, i don't find LCD-X comfortable...

May be i am very sensitive towards head weight :frowning2: my badluck !

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #2,976 of 4,141
I'll just put this right here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths

"Conclusion

The clear conclusion is that ABX testing does not back up many audiophile claims, so they become audiophile myths as they show cables do not inherently change sound. Any change in sound quality comes from the listeners mind and interaction between their senses. What is claimed to be audible is not reliably so. Blind testing is also sometimes passed off as ABX. But blind testing is not really testing, it is a review of a product without seeing it, and that allows claims to be made about sound which have not been verified.

If hifi is all about sound and more specifically sound quality, then we should, once the other senses have been removed be able to hear differences which can be verified by being able to identify one product from another by only listening. But time and again we cannot.

So you can either buy good but inexpensive hifi products such as cables, amps, CDPs and be satisfied that the sound they produce is superb. You do need to spend time with speakers as they really do sound identifiably different. Or you can buy expensive hifi products such as cable tec and luxuriate in the build and image and identify one hifi from another by looks and sound. But you cannot buy expensive and identify it from cheap by sound alone. However and this is important,

http://www.audiostream.com/content/blind-testing-golden-ears-and-envy-oh-my#wsTQZ0dOJYDcJv5K.97

After failing a blind test, one hifi buff, no less the editor of Sterophile said

"Over 10 years ago, for example, I failed to distinguish a Quad 405 from a Naim NAP250 or a TVA tube amplifier in such a blind test organized by Martin Colloms. Convinced by these results of the validity in the Consumer Reports philosophy, I consequently sold my exotic and expensive Lecson power amplifier with which I had been very happy and bought a much cheaper Quad 405—the biggest mistake of my audiophile career!"

The author of the article goes on to say;

"My point being, taking part in any kind of blind listening test necessarily creates an unnatural condition, one that we never encounter when listening to music for pleasure."

I agree 100%, I did the same with my set up, reading and researching for this thread I would switch from using my Firestone Fubar DAC and power supply to using the DAC that comes in my MF X_CANV8P headphone amp. All the testing states they sound the same. But they don't!!!!! That is because when I listen for pleasure I can see my set up, its red, green and blue lights on telling me it is working. That gives me pleasure and pleasure makes for better SQ."

I agree 100% with this conclusion. I think that we (people in this hobby) tend to polarize (ha) to one side or the other when it comes to technical or perceived auditory benefits of things like cables and power conditioners, etc. But the reality lies somewhere in between. Even if a cable upgrade doesn't produce a "measurable" (as in measurable by electronic equipment difference) in the sound, it may be producing a perceived difference. If that difference was worth it to the person that did the upgrade, then the cable made a difference. It is all subjective and I think we would do ourselves a service to recognize that subjectivity and not battle against it.

That being said, I doubt that I will ever buy an "upgraded" cable for my headphones. Maybe I would make one, because that would be fun for me, but I wouldn't buy one. I'd rather buy a different headphone, DAC or amp, etc...

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #2,977 of 4,141
Same old tired argument, some believe in cables sounding different, some do not. If there is going to be a active debate about cables, I think it needs to be done in the Sound Science category !

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #2,978 of 4,141
I'll just put this right here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths

I agree 100% with this conclusion. I think that we (people in this hobby) tend to polarize (ha) to one side or the other when it comes to technical or perceived auditory benefits of things like cables and power conditioners, etc. But the reality lies somewhere in between. Even if a cable upgrade doesn't produce a "measurable" (as in measurable by electronic equipment difference) in the sound, it may be producing a perceived difference. If that difference was worth it to the person that did the upgrade, then the cable made a difference. It is all subjective and I think we would do ourselves a service to recognize that subjectivity and not battle against it.

That being said, I doubt that I will ever buy an "upgraded" cable for my headphones. Maybe I would make one, because that would be fun for me, but I wouldn't buy one. I'd rather buy a different headphone, DAC or amp, etc...

Great post and point. I only argue against cables because I find a lot of people spending big money on it, when they are running very basic gear. Spend or save that money to buy something that truly matters.

In the audiophile world, speakers and headphones will make the largest difference in sound. I will soon own a total of 6 over ear cans, and 2 IEMs. With my speakers, and headphones I have spent just under $4,500. My AVR was $1,300 (to get all the features I wanted, not sound quality), and $800 on headphone front end gear. I buy high quality, but inexpensive wires to hook everything up. I may have spent a grand total of $100 on all the HDMI, speaker wire, RCA cables, and optical cables. I buy things I know make a difference, and put all my effort and money where it counts.

That said, curiosity has struck me, and I want an R2R DAC badly. I don't know what to expect, as I've never heard one. I'm ordering a Modi Multibit today (will also check the classifieds for other R2R DACs), and will compare it to my Creative Sound Blaster X7 with Sparkos SS3601 and SS3602 OP amps. I will go in skeptical and doubt there will be a difference. I will find out first hand if it makes a difference, and if it is subtle, I'll look into a double blind test. With my MicroZOTL2 or Magni, I just need someone to change RCA cables from each source. They'll both be fed the exact same signal, and swaps will be quick. The problem I have is no one to do the swapping.

The end goal is enjoying your music as much as possible. If a cable swap makes you grin ear to ear, awesome. Thinking something is better absolutely translates to your impressions. All I ask is, people, spend your money wisely. Understand what truly makes a difference. Once you reach the perfect setup, that last stretch is upgrading cables. I never will, but it's your money! Do what makes you happy, and enjoy your music as much as possible!

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #2,979 of 4,141
Great post and point. I only argue against cables because I find a lot of people spending big money on it, when they are running very basic gear. Spend or save that money to buy something that truly matters.

In the audiophile world, speakers and headphones will make the largest difference in sound. I will soon own a total of 6 over ear cans, and 2 IEMs. With my speakers, and headphones I have spent just under $4,500. My AVR was $1,300 (to get all the features I wanted, not sound quality), and $800 on headphone front end gear. I buy high quality, but inexpensive wires to hook everything up. I may have spent a grand total of $100 on all the HDMI, speaker wire, RCA cables, and optical cables. I buy things I know make a difference, and put all my effort and money where it counts.

That said, curiosity has struck me, and I want an R2R DAC badly. I don't know what to expect, as I've never heard one. I'm ordering a Modi Multibit today (will also check the classifieds for other R2R DACs), and will compare it to my Creative Sound Blaster X7 with Sparkos SS3601 and SS3602 OP amps. I will go in skeptical and doubt there will be a difference. I will find out first hand if it makes a difference, and if it is subtle, I'll look into a double blind test. With my MicroZOTL2 or Magni, I just need someone to change RCA cables from each source. They'll both be fed the exact same signal, and swaps will be quick. The problem I have is no one to do the swapping.

The end goal is enjoying your music as much as possible. If a cable swap makes you grin ear to ear, awesome. Thinking something is better absolutely translates to your impressions. All I ask is, people, spend your money wisely. Understand what truly makes a difference. Once you reach the perfect setup, that last stretch is upgrading cables. I never will, but it's your money! Do what makes you happy, and enjoy your music as much as possible!
I have to say adding the Yggy to my setup coming from a Teac UD 301 the difference was almost night and day . Yes it made me happy very much so.

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #2,980 of 4,141
I have to say adding the Yggy to my setup coming from a Teac UD 301 the difference was almost night and day . Yes it made me happy very much so.

I wish I had the funds for the Yggy. I am a skeptic of the differences between the Mimby and up the chain to the Yggy R2R DACs. The Yggy will be at a meet I am attending in a few weeks, well 3 of them at least, haha. It is possible that another R2R from Schiit will be there, but not sure. I am terrified to go and come away justifying buying the high end gear that will be there. It's not that I cannot get the funds, it is more that I want to go to Europe this year and I would rather spend my money doing that. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #2,981 of 4,141
Nothing in the classifieds, so I just ordered directly from Schiit. Mimby is on its way, hope to have it by mid next week. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #2,982 of 4,141
  Nothing in the classifieds, so I just ordered directly from Schiit. Mimby is on its way, hope to have it by mid next week. 

I'm interested to hear your impressions. I've been using my Behringer UCA202 for years and like it just fine, but somewhere in the back of my mind I've always wanted to try some of their gear.

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #2,983 of 4,141
I wish I had the funds for the Yggy. I am a skeptic of the differences between the Mimby and up the chain to the Yggy R2R DACs. The Yggy will be at a meet I am attending in a few weeks, well 3 of them at least, haha. It is possible that another R2R from Schiit will be there, but not sure. I am terrified to go and come away justifying buying the high end gear that will be there. It's not that I cannot get the funds, it is more that I want to go to Europe this year and I would rather spend my money doing that. 
Yes I used tax refund and sold some stuff and save to afford it. Don't try the Yggy right off the bat if they were not brought under battery power or a inverter it does make a difference that it is warmed up.

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #2,984 of 4,141
Yes I used tax refund and sold some stuff and save to afford it. Don't try the Yggy right off the bat if they were not brought under battery power or a inverter it does make a difference that it is warmed up.

I've read that a few times that they need to be warmed up. If I spent that much on a DAC, I'd but a very expensive linear power supply for it. I would want every ounce I could get out of it. Power is huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back