Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 19, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #2,942 of 4,141

Lol, double blind. Ok will do that after full burn in of HD6XX. Right now it's only 30/40 hours burn in ...

But, as is aid, HD6XX cable is thinner than HD650 cable.

I'm not being cynical, really curious. I heard the difference once on an HD800 setup. It wasn't double blind but the difference was discernible and I had no idea what was what so it might as well been double blind. I'd like to repeat the experience but that was quite a setup from the power source up. Necessary, I don't know, I didn't get to hear the improvement of each component added. If the HD650 cables are noticeably thinner, that's a little concerning.

I said Hd6XX cable is thinner not vice versa.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #2,944 of 4,141
Jan 19, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #2,946 of 4,141
For the length a headphone wire is, and the amount of power going through the wire, headphone cable in almost every headphone I've ever used is COMPLETE overkill. Frankly you just don't need a thick gauge of wire for that use. I assume it's thickness is more for durability than signal transfer.

I would almost bet that Sennheiser has a standard gauge wire that must be used. Even if the cable is thinner, that does not mean the copper is thinner, only a thinner casing of plastic.

Silver versus copper is a different subject, and I've never cared to look into the qualities of each to see if there could be a difference. If there is, why does silver ALWAYS sound better?

I have no desire to spend the amount of money required to upgrade my cables. I'd much rather spend that money on things that actually do make a difference, like a better DAC or headphone.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #2,947 of 4,141
For the length a headphone wire is, and the amount of power going through the wire, headphone cable in almost every headphone I've ever used is COMPLETE overkill. Frankly you just don't need a thick gauge of wire for that use. I assume it's thickness is more for durability than signal transfer.

I would almost bet that Sennheiser has a standard gauge wire that must be used. Even if the cable is thinner, that does not mean the copper is thinner, only a thinner casing of plastic.

Silver versus copper is a different subject, and I've never cared to look into the qualities of each to see if there could be a difference. If there is, why does silver ALWAYS sound better?

I have no desire to spend the amount of money required to upgrade my cables. I'd much rather spend that money on things that actually do make a difference, like a better DAC or headphone.

For power handling, yes, mostly overkill (<1W). But for "perfect" analog signal transferring, it's another story.

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #2,948 of 4,141
Noooo..... I can't believe I missed this deal. My HD580's are probably a decade old, replaced the cushions at least 5 times, and broke the band twice... and I finally decided its time for some new cans so of course I had to see whats new on Head-Fi. I may just stick it out with my 580's with the hopes they do another massdrop with the 650s. 

edit/

Oh man... these 580's are definitely MUCH older than a decade considering i bought them not that long after joining Head-Fi.... which was in 2002. Time really does fly i guess.

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #2,949 of 4,141

For power handling, yes, mostly overkill (<1W). But for "perfect" analog signal transferring, it's another story.

I would love for you to explain, with science please

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2,951 of 4,141
A simple example is different resistance of cable.

Then the cable is too thin. A proper cable will have a resistance that has no effect on sound. The only example I can think of with a shipped headphone having a blatant resistance problem was the X1. Having said that, it could have been intentional by the designer.

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #2,952 of 4,141

A simple example is different resistance of cable.

Then the cable is too thin. A proper cable will have a resistance that has no effect on sound. The only example I can think of with a shipped headphone having a blatant resistance problem was the X1. Having said that, it could have been intentional by the designer.

6XX's original 4" cable is 0.4Ohm. The cable I made from a SPC wire is 0.2Ohm. There is a noticeable difference in sound. Just for record. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #2,954 of 4,141
Thank you, I'll try to find a better source for them

Make sure the cans are powered properly. The source is important, of course, but a good source that isn't powerful enough for the impedance of the cans won't sound much better if any.

My HD600s sounded "ehh" on my iPhone alone. They sounded "decent" when I upgraded from Rhapsody to Tidal HiFi. Sounded "really nice" when I connected to Fiio E11 portable amp. Then sounded "great" when I used my Bottlehead Crack tube amp!

Every part of the chain is important to some degree. Start with improving the weakest link in your system & eventually you'll be enjoying your headphones. :)

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #2,955 of 4,141
Yep they sent me a brand new HD650 to replace my dead HD6xx.

Looks like I will take the cable MD sends out and make it balanced for future use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back