Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 19, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #2,956 of 4,141
Yep they sent me a brand new HD650 to replace my dead HD6xx.

Looks like I will take the cable MD sends out and make it balanced for future use.

Lucky guy. Makes one wonder then if there will ever be another HD6XX drop.

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #2,958 of 4,141
Lucky guy. Makes one wonder then if there will ever be another HD6XX drop.

Indeed. It's hard to speculate without understanding their facility. It's possible how, and or where, they are assembled makes it a challenge for Customer Service to pull a finished HD6XX from stock. Who knows what stage they are at in this new batch. Whereas of course they would have easy access to 650s. There's probably spare 650s in every drawer in every desk at Sennhesier. :)

Or, yes, this might indicate the HD6XX is over, and no new stock is being amassed.

We just don't know enough to guess one way or another.

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #2,959 of 4,141
  this might indicate the HD6XX is over, and no new stock is being amassed.

Of course no new stock is being amassed. That's not how Massdrop works. For HD6XX and many drops, there is no ready stock for the item. A drop ends, Massdrop places the order with the manufacturer, and the manufacturer builds to fulfill the order. It's great for the manufacturer because they get paid up front and only build as many as they sell immediately. That's why many drops have a long lead time before shipping (sometimes months). This isn't the case for all drops – depends on whether it's a type of product that is already stockpiled in warehouses.

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #2,960 of 4,141
Well you'd think there would be at least a couple of spares at least for warranty and exchanges.

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2,961 of 4,141
6XX's original 4" cable is 0.4Ohm. The cable I made from a SPC wire is 0.2Ohm. There is a noticeable difference in sound. Just for record. :)

And I would bet that double blind you couldn't tell the difference. It changes the load the amp sees, and isn't enough IMO to make any disernable difference in sound. That is very low resistance still. I don't know the threshold of where resistance comes into play, but I would think at 1 ohm and above is the minimum. I do have electronics in my education background.

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #2,962 of 4,141
And I would bet that double blind you couldn't tell the difference. It changes the load the amp sees, and isn't enough IMO to make any disernable difference in sound. That is very low resistance still. I don't know the threshold of where resistance comes into play, but I would think at 1 ohm and above is the minimum. I do have electronics in my education background.

In general, louder music is considered more enjoyable. So the cable having less resistance made the music just slightly louder, and thus perceived as better. Which makes sense, because most after market cables have lower resistance than stock.

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #2,963 of 4,141

The difference isn't day/night, true. Especially I wouldn't expect a dramatic change from a 303Ohm headphone because of a 0.2Ohms difference in the cable but there is a difference. A very slight one. IEMs generally having more difference(sometimes a very dramatic one) because of the cable. The resistance, material, etc. Things change other things.
For example, I've tried making a cable from a steel garden wire when I was using HE-400S. I don't know why. It seemed funny at the time. It didn't had an 'off the chart' resistance or anything else. It sounded awful. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #2,964 of 4,141
When I most definitely noticed a sound change from a cable was with the Fidelio X1. The cable resistance was about 1.8 ohm, the replacement about 0.3 ohm. Both values from memory, but regardless, the original cable is in the box essentially new.

The sonic difference was the mids cleared up and the highs extended a bit with the new cable. I think this is an extreme example and I don't by any means think that everyone should run out and upgrade their cables as I do believe that's the least cost efficient way for SUBTLE audio improvement. Last detail, the replacement cable was copper, nothing special.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #2,965 of 4,141
I am still glad I sold my HD6xx, comparing the imaging and soundstage to other headphones it just is not my personal taste. The HD6xx have great slam and clarity, I just wish it had a little more soundstage and imaging.  My Pioneer SE-A1000 headphones are my personal all time favorite out of the 60-70 headphones I have tried in the last year.  

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #2,966 of 4,141
  I am still glad I sold my HD6xx, comparing the imaging and soundstage to other headphones it just is not my personal taste. The HD6xx have great slam and clarity, I just wish it had a little more soundstage and imaging.  My Pioneer SE-A1000 headphones are my personal all time favorite out of the 60-70 headphones I have tried in the last year.  

Initially I thought the same and was temping just to move them on. But I stuck with them, upgraded the amp from a monoprice dac/amp to a matrix m-stage and imaging is back.

Jan 20, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #2,967 of 4,141
The HD6XX is good, a cable upgrade would take it a step higher and a good amp/dac combo can take it another step higher. But for me the end dame is still the LCD-X. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back