Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 20, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #2,987 of 4,141
  Loving these so far. Managed to get 00045 serial. They pair wonderfully with my Jotunheim with a balanced cable upgrade.

Ditto, Jotunheim/Modi Multibit/HD-6XX is some seriously high end sound quality for about 800 bucks.

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #2,988 of 4,141
I just ordered a Modi Multibit today. Looks like it will get here Monday or Tuesday. I cannot wait to pair it with my MicroZOTL2. I have wanted one of these since they launched, and now I will own it. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #2,989 of 4,141
You'll love it. So smooth yet detailed.

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #2,990 of 4,141
You'll love it. So smooth yet detailed.

Yeah it's silly how little it costs for the level of sonics you are getting from this little bad boy. Wouldn't have even fathomed this setup possible for under 3 grand 5 years ago.

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #2,993 of 4,141
Hoping for another drop!

Would like to ask how it pairs with an audioquest dragonfly red.

I'm impressed with what the DFR brings to the table for such a such and convenient device. I use it almost daily with my ciem's, and a few headphones. With the hd 6xx, I'd call the pairing reasonably good, but I can tell that the 300 ohm impedance is at the top of what the DFR is able to drive comfortably. I have no problem enjoying the combo but I have heard better portable setups with the 6xx. Very good for the price though. 

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #2,994 of 4,141
I'm impressed with what the DFR brings to the table for such a such and convenient device. I use it almost daily with my ciem's, and a few headphones. With the hd 6xx, I'd call the pairing reasonably good, but I can tell that the 300 ohm impedance is at the top of what the DFR is able to drive comfortably. I have no problem enjoying the combo but I have heard better portable setups with the 6xx. Very good for the price though. 

Thanks for the reply! May I ask if there's a way to make the dfr be able to drive the hd 6xx? Maybe an amp? Or is that double amping? Would you suggest i invest in a desktop setup too?

Jan 21, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #2,995 of 4,141
^^ If not disappointed with the pairing. The only issue is that if you like to listen at "loud" levels this might not work for you. Tonally the two work very well together. 

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #2,997 of 4,141
  May I ask if there's a way to make the dfr be able to drive the hd 6xx? Maybe an amp? Or is that double amping?

Yes, that would be double amping. For connecting to a laptop, you might consider the Apogee Groove, which Sennheiser endorses and even sells bundled with HD650:
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/audiophile-headphones-high-end-hd-650
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/groove

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #2,998 of 4,141
Jan 23, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #3,000 of 4,141
Has anyone tried the mass drop TH-X00? The group sale is ending in a day and I am very tempted to trade in for those, but have not tried them.

I appreciate that not everyone was put off by the comparisons I was making with my SR-303s, but I don't have much to add anyway. I read an interesting article in defense of Beats about how a lot over "overshoot" on square wave charts can make headphones sound fatiguing and I definitely find the Stax fatiguing when there is a lot of treble. They're frustrating because what they do well nothing else compares with that I have heard, but the brightness is overblown because they're detailed to begin with. The HD650 was actually the first dynamic headphone that was better in some ways that I tried, so I wanted to step up to that, but it is a lot slower sounding, too slow for my taste, slower sounding than my old Grados.

I've become really fond of my DT1350 headphones I use at work. Wow. They are definitely faster than the HD6XX and have deeper bass without any distortion. Really incredible given how tiny they are! But they have a small "boxed in" sound, of course, and aren't as relaxing or lush. They sound more like headphones and less like speakers or a concert. I don't mistake them for real sounds, I do mistake the Sennheiser and Stax for real sounds. I think it has to do with over the ear vs on ear and open vs closed.

But I think that's the sound signature I like. And I also live in a really loud area so I find myself reaching for them even at home. The TH-X00 are semi-open and the driver I've heard is very fast. 

Sorry again to bring comparisons into this discussion. I do think the Sennheisers are just about perfect at what they do but I need something with a bit more isolation and a "faster" sound (this is just my preference, but I love detail). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back