Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 23, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #3,001 of 4,141
You planning to sell your hd 6xx?

Has anyone tried the mass drop TH-X00? The group sale is ending in a day and I am very tempted to trade in for those, but have not tried them.

I appreciate that not everyone was put off by the comparisons I was making with my SR-303s, but I don't have much to add anyway. I read an interesting article in defense of Beats about how a lot over "overshoot" on square wave charts can make headphones sound fatiguing and I definitely find the Stax fatiguing when there is a lot of treble. They're frustrating because what they do well nothing else compares with that I have heard, but the brightness is overblown because they're detailed to begin with. The HD650 was actually the first dynamic headphone that was better in some ways that I tried, so I wanted to step up to that, but it is a lot slower sounding, too slow for my taste, slower sounding than my old Grados.

I've become really fond of my DT1350 headphones I use at work. Wow. They are definitely faster than the HD6XX and have deeper bass without any distortion. Really incredible given how tiny they are! But they have a small "boxed in" sound, of course, and aren't as relaxing or lush. They sound more like headphones and less like speakers or a concert. I don't mistake them for real sounds, I do mistake the Sennheiser and Stax for real sounds. I think it has to do with over the ear vs on ear and open vs closed.

But I think that's the sound signature I like. And I also live in a really loud area so I find myself reaching for them even at home. The TH-X00 are semi-open and the driver I've heard is very fast. 

Sorry again to bring comparisons into this discussion. I do think the Sennheisers are just about perfect at what they do but I need something with a bit more isolation and a "faster" sound (this is just my preference, but I love detail). 

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #3,003 of 4,141

It depends on if I order the TH-X00 and how much I like it. I doubt I will sell it for a while. I have spent years trying to find a decent headphone so want to take time to A/B everything. 

What is your source and amp?

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #3,004 of 4,141
  What is your source and amp?

gamma2 DAC (love it), Objective 2 amplifier (don't notice any real difference or improvement, considering buying a tube amp with higher output impedance–not sure why that's good, but someone said it is) 

I have A/Bed everything pretty extensively using the same source but matching volume by ear. I'm not trying to get into this as a hobby any more than I already have, I just want something I'll like with the music I listen to. Unfortunately, I listen to a wide range of music and badly recorded tracks really do sound great on the HD6XX. It's euphonic if not fully accurate. But I can't notice the detail I like, especially in vocals.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #3,005 of 4,141
  Has anyone tried the mass drop TH-X00? The group sale is ending in a day and I am very tempted to trade in for those, but have not tried them.

I would say that if you're not sure, take your time and no need to rush into joining the drop. The TH-X00 in its variants (mahogany, purpleheart, ebony) will be available regularly.

Based on your comments, I think you should try to audition some closed back planar magnetic such as Audeze and Oppo.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #3,006 of 4,141

gamma2 DAC (love it), Objective 2 amplifier (don't notice any real difference or improvement, considering buying a tube amp with higher output impedance–not sure why that's good, but someone said it is) 

I have A/Bed everything pretty extensively using the same source but matching volume by ear. I'm not trying to get into this as a hobby, I just want something I'll like with the music I listen to. Unfortunately, I listen to a wide range of music.

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, but I have heard that the 02 is not the best match for the Senns. I promise you, if you find the right pairing, you will not care so much about the speed. They sound incredible with my Crack, like warm honey in my ears. Something to consider anyway.

I also just ordered the E-Mu Teak and can't wait to get my hands on them, but I know my Senns will always hold a place in my heart. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #3,008 of 4,141
  I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, but I have heard that the 02 is not the best match for the Senns. I promise you, if you find the right pairing, you will not care so much about the speed. They sound incredible with my Crack, like warm honey in my ears. Something to consider anyway.

I also just ordered the E-Mu Teak and can't wait to get my hands on them, but I know my Senns will always hold a place in my heart. 

I think you did mention that. How big a difference can an amp make? To me they sound good in almost every respect except speed so I'm not sure how improving everything except speed will improve them. But... I do remember my friend having a very high end audio interface (he's a musician/producer) and his HD650s sounded great.

That and I couldn't tell the difference in a blind test and the gamma2 drives them pretty loudly,

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #3,009 of 4,141
I have the TH-X00 Ebony and I LOVE them. Bass monsters that do it right. The other 2 will be in production a while I'd think. The Ebony will not. They only have wood for up to a possible 1000 or maybe more. Once they're gone they're finished. It's a rare wood that they could only get so much of. I was in the second drop and got them the start of this month. They're amazing. Read the thread on them, and the reviews comparing the 3 models. They're similar but different. Ebony are the favorite of most reviews I read. I wouldn't sell them ever. The HD6XX I would, and may do just that in a few months. The Fostex are a very possible endgame for me. This weekend I'll try almost every headphone I have ever wanted at a local meet. Cannot wait, because I will be shocked if I prefer another headphone. The bass is that good!

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #3,010 of 4,141

I think you did mention that. How big a difference can an amp make? To me they sound good in almost every respect except speed so I'm not sure how improving everything except speed will improve them. But... I do remember my friend having a very high end audio interface (he's a musician/producer) and his HD650s sounded great.

That and I couldn't tell the difference in a blind test and the gamma2 drives them pretty loudly,

For some cans it doesn't matter much, for these it matters a lot. I would say that if you feel like you can never be happy with them not having the speed you want, it's probably not worth investing more money in a nicer setup for these. You can get the Fostex for twice the price of these, but from what I've heard, are not as demanding. I'll keep these because they are masterful for classical, jazz, and most of the indie rock that I'm interested in. They suit my favorite genres very well. I expect the E-Mu Teaks (a very close cousin to the TH-X00) to make other genres more fun for me, like EDM, rap, and prog rock. They should fill the gaps nicely. My final goal is to get a truly sealed eng-game can and I'll be happy.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #3,011 of 4,141
To me the Fostex and the Senn sound nothing alike.  The Fostex is in your face, with strong bass and somewhat peaky treble, while the HD-6XX is smoother and more laid back.  The Fostex is like sitting in the front row of a concert - it's fun and engaging, but also a bit fatiguing.  The HD-6XX is sitting in the 25th row - you just sit back and enjoy the show, but it can almost seem boring at times.  I like them both, but for different reasons. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #3,012 of 4,141
To me the Fostex and the Senn sound nothing alike.  The Fostex is in your face, with strong bass and somewhat peaky treble, while the HD-6XX is smoother and more laid back.  The Fostex is like sitting in the front row of a concert - it's fun and engaging, but also a bit fatiguing.  The HD-6XX is sitting in the 25th row - you just sit back and enjoy the show, but it can almost seem boring at times.  I like them both, but for different reasons. 
That's a pretty good analogy. Yeah the HD-6XX are pretty laid back but that's make them easy to listen to for hours on end for people who use them in a computer desktop situation.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #3,013 of 4,141
Jan 23, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #3,015 of 4,141
Can use extension cable:
XLR 4Pin Male to Female cable.

Yeah but that's not cool. 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back