Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 17, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #1,996 of 4,141
How do you know his old amp wasn't confining the soundstage and the Fulla 2 isn't just bringing the true capabilities out for his headphones?

You don't do you? Because you don't even care to listen to other gear. You've made up your mind that you know everything in the world of audio without having even experienced half of it. You probably read some blog by some dude who made this one okayish amp and took it as gospel. Now you try and spread your "wisdom" around the internet and lash out towards people with differing opinions, even if they have more experience than you. Why? Because how dare they refute that thing you read on a blog once.
These are the worst people who give their opinions on gear they've never heard before. Total misinformation. Guys who are looking for good info could be mislead by this. You have guys who own the 650's & nice tube amps debating with a person who doesn't have the 650's yet & has never heard a tube amp. And speaks as if everything he quotes is word. It's actually trolling

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #1,997 of 4,141
Technially, it's not good because it is changing the sound significantly.

I used to feel this way, but I grew out of it.

There is more to great sound than just low THD.  Some tube amps sound amazing.

Yes, they are coloring the sound, and yes, this results in a slightly higher THD, but that doesn't mean they cant sound better than a completely neutral uncolored sound.

Stuff like this is very subjective, and more about preference than it is about absolute measurable statistics.

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #1,998 of 4,141
Just got my HD6xx's :)

The packaging is pretty impressive.

I almost feel like the packaging cost them more than the headpohones themselves did :p

Rather than a typical throwaway cardboard box, like what my Beyerdynamics came in, this came in a hard case with hinges, and 3D foam cutouts that perfectly fit the headphones...

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #1,999 of 4,141
Formal introductions are in order...

Beyerdynamic, meet Sennheiser!

It's the worlds smallest German collection!

The flash apparently brings out the otherwise very very subtle (even to the naked eye in good lighting) blue.

So, what are you people thinking when it comes to burn-in on these?  

Are the burn-in evangelists on to something, or simply on something?  I already have mine sitting playing pink noise off of YouTube just in case.

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #2,002 of 4,141
These are the worst people who give their opinions on gear they've never heard before. Total misinformation. Guys who are looking for good info could be mislead by this. You have guys who own the 650's & nice tube amps debating with a person who doesn't have the 650's yet & has never heard a tube amp. And speaks as if everything he quotes is word. It's actually trolling

I agree. 

I just purchased a pair of HD650 around Black Friday and they were waiting for me when I got back from work on Friday (worked a 21 day shift out of town) and I was surprised that I prefer them with my Cypher Labs Sustain84, which is a SE Class A tube amp, over my Liquid Carbon with a balanced cable or the stock cable SE.  The Sustain84 just sounds more natural to me, but I do love the Liquid Carbon as well and would be happy with either. The improvement was immediately noticeable to me when switching to the Sustain84 though.  I am using a Hugo as a DAC for either amp.  

Now that I have the heavy balanced cable for my Nighthawks from Surf Cables, which is silver plated copper I prefer the Liquid Carbon for the Nighthawks.

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #2,003 of 4,141
A good amp should not sound better. It should sound transparent. It should sound like the source. If it doesn't, it's coloring the sound and it's worthless.

Why don't some of you get this that a good amp should amplify the sound & not modify the sound? When an amp changes the sound (other than EQ controls and/or bass boost) then the amp is not doing what it should do. It should give you the sound from the source with as little coloration as possible.

Do you use an amp? Better yet: do you use the same DAC/amp/speakers/headphones/ambient noise floor/temperature/humidity/power conditioner that they used when they mastered the track?

Because if not, then "technically" you are altering the sound...

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #2,004 of 4,141
Do you use an amp? Better yet: do you use the same DAC/amp/speakers/headphones/ambient noise floor/temperature/humidity/power conditioner that they used when they mastered the track?

Because if not, then "technically" you are altering the sound...

I agree 100%....

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #2,005 of 4,141
Formal introductions are in order...

Beyerdynamic, meet Sennheiser!

It's the worlds smallest German collection!

The flash apparently brings out the otherwise very very subtle (even to the naked eye in good lighting) blue.

So, what are you people thinking when it comes to burn-in on these?  

Are the burn-in evangelists on to something, or simply on something?  I already have mine sitting playing pink noise off of YouTube just in case.

nice, looking forward to you impressions

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #2,006 of 4,141

nice, looking forward to you impressions

They will be forthcoming.   We got a bunch of snow today though, and we have a large long driveway.

Snowremoval work before pleasure.

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #2,007 of 4,141
I could care less about listening to anything, except the way I want it to sound. I know how I want my favorite music to sound, and that's what I'm chasing. I don't care how I get it either. At the end of the day, my enjoyment won't come from knowing any statistics about my gear. It'll be the music is the best I've ever heard, and that's going to be towards my sound signature preferences.

I think people who don't EQ their sound are weird. No speaker/headphone is made perfect. Adjusting them to how I want them to sound, within their parameters without destroying the sound, is by far the most important.

No one knows what the original artist intended, I doubt the guys mixing the album do half the time. Make the sound WHAT YOU WANT, and you'll be far happier listening.

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #2,009 of 4,141
I've paired the 650's with plenty of amps. The best I've heard is with an otl. Find it funny that people will bash amps they haven't heard before. I owned the a5 by Fiio back when it was the e12.the e12 doesn't have the voltage swing and the 650's bass is slow and sloppy. That & asgard2 were the worst two amps I've heard them with. I've also got a really nice as amp now but still prefer the tube amp.thats another big misconception here, that you can drive the 650's with a portable amp. Sure it'll make noise, but your not getting what the 650's can offer. That's why meets are so important, so guys can get out & check out nice rigs & get a taste of what the 650's can really do.

The m9XX also sounds horrible with the HD650's, it seems to be SS amps in general. Which is funny, because most recommend the 650 as the "budget king" hands down, when in reality there doesn't seem to be any amp under $300 that "does it justice". People forget the added cost, and the fact that it only sounds good with a number of amps, all of them tube. I feel like this is the tube rolling thread ("It's the best amp out there! Just add in a $250 tube and it'll sound great!")

I think some tube amps sound amazing. I'm not for the "coloration is bad" argument, unless it takes away some detail or soundstage (which many of them seem to do, FWIW).

...But to declare the HD650 as the "king" of headphones, with the added caveat that it "needs" a $450 Bottlehead Crack with Speedball? Lol, no thanks. I'll be sticking to my K7XX and DACport Slim combo.

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #2,010 of 4,141
I think people who don't EQ their sound are weird.

I guess I am weird. 
wink_face.gif
  Well, I already knew I was weird, just not in an audio way.  I run everything flat, though with the GeekOut V2 Infinity + I like the "green" filter.  Also really love the tuning of the Mojo, so maybe I am not that weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back