Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 17, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #1,967 of 4,141
  2 people or so reported faulty right drivers.  Fingers crossed that it's just those two with issues...

2 out of 5000 thought they would sound like Beats.

Must be bad drivers...

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #1,969 of 4,141

Where?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx/talk/607532

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx/talk/606289

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #1,970 of 4,141
A good tube amp won't sound just like a solid state. It sounds better.

A good amp should not sound better. It should sound transparent. It should sound like the source. If it doesn't, it's coloring the sound and it's worthless.

Why don't some of you get this that a good amp should amplify the sound & not modify the sound? When an amp changes the sound (other than EQ controls and/or bass boost) then the amp is not doing what it should do. It should give you the sound from the source with as little coloration as possible.

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #1,971 of 4,141
A good amp should not sound better. It should sound transparent. It should sound like the source. If it doesn't, it's coloring the sound and it's worthless.

Why don't some of you get this that a good amp should amplify the sound & not modify the sound? When an amp changes the sound (other than EQ controls and/or bass boost) then the amp is not doing what it should do. It should give you the sound from the source with as little coloration as possible.

Then don't even bother with an amp. Plug them into your phone. I guarantee you can get adequate volume from most phones.

Dec 17, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #1,972 of 4,141

Why are we even arguing about this.

Then by your logic the only headphones we need are ones with a completely flat sound signature because that is what the artist intended.

If it sounds good and you like the way a damn headphone and amp pair together, then enjoy the dang music. The schiit ain't useless unless it's damn broken. Tubes have been out for ages and are popular for a reason. There's no need to sit on your high hat preaching that amps need zero distortion, otherwise they're garbage. Audio is subjective and everyone has different tastes. What if you just like a warmer sound and are fine with a slightly altered sound signature?

Why do people use the EQ if the only thing we should be listening to is the artist's exact and precise rendition of their music?

Geez holy crap. When my HD 6XX comes in I'm planning to post a ton of pictures. So be it.

Dec 17, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #1,973 of 4,141

Dude you are totally misinformed. I bet you haven't even heard a tube amp. Go to meet & check one out.

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #1,976 of 4,141

This. 1000% this.

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #1,977 of 4,141
No it's not. Go see some live music. Go listen in on a recording session.

I know all about the loudness wars and how the sound is modified. That's not what this is about. This is about getting the most neutral sound you can from your source/amp and you pick the cans that sound good to you. It's not about how the amp colors the sound. If you color the sound via the amp then you cannot properly tailor the sound using your cans

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #1,978 of 4,141
I know all about the loudness wars and how the sound is modified. That's not what this is about. This is about getting the most neutral sound you can from your source/amp and you pick the cans that sound good to you. It's not about how the amp colors the sound. If you color the sound via the amp then you cannot properly tailor the sound using your cans

Or...you tailer your entire setup to your sound preferences! *GASP*...

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #1,979 of 4,141
I've paired the 650's with plenty of amps. The best I've heard is with an otl. Find it funny that people will bash amps they haven't heard before. I owned the a5 by Fiio back when it was the e12.the e12 doesn't have the voltage swing and the 650's bass is slow and sloppy. That & asgard2 were the worst two amps I've heard them with. I've also got a really nice as amp now but still prefer the tube amp.thats another big misconception here, that you can drive the 650's with a portable amp. Sure it'll make noise, but your not getting what the 650's can offer. That's why meets are so important, so guys can get out & check out nice rigs & get a taste of what the 650's can really do.

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #1,980 of 4,141
Or...you tailer your entire setup to your sound preferences! *GASP*...

This too. I am with JWolf and want my sound always to sound as intended as closely as possible, but if you want to change recordings to all sound the way you like, go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back