Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 16, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #1,951 of 4,141
............... So, $199 HD6XXs probably cost them around $160. They make up for the short margin with high volume.

I brought it up earlier as the HD650s have always hovered around the $600 Canadian even if we were on parity with the US $ ..so $200 US is fairly reasonable from where we're sitting. : )
Thing is when I was in the industry way back when the best price I could get the HD580s for $365 Canadaian and that was at dealer cost...needless to say I bought them from Audioadvisor.com for $99US and our dollar was almost at par with the US. : (

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #1,952 of 4,141
My original delivery date was tomorrow, Saturday. They are out for delivery today, which is Friday. I wouldn't put much faith in their estimates. They could come early, and possibly later, bit I think they give themselves a lot of cushion, so late is less likely. I cannot wait. I'll be driving these with my Creative X7, and my LG V20. I'm going to pull the trigger on an OTL tube amp. Thinking the Schiit Valhalla 2, bit still not sure. The Bottlehead Crack with Speedball would be a really fun project, but not crazy about the looks and all connections being on top.

Is the Valhalla 2 the right choice? (Also like it can be used with almost any headphone, and preouts is also a huge plus). Anyone else grabbing a tube amp?
I would pick the Crack over Valhalla 2 every time. The Crack is also fantastic with my HD 700's . They weren't as good with the V 2 way too bright but I didn't keep it long enough to roll tubes . Tubes would have to go a long way to change that not for should it could but maybe. I don't have the speedball in my BH Crack yet will be ordering soon.

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #1,953 of 4,141

It should not be about tube vs SS. It should be how well does the amp give you the sound of the source without coloration. The more coloration (other than tone controls or bass boost), the worse the amp is.

Well that is just your opinion, and you are entitled to it ! However some like coloration in amps, does not mean they are wrong, it means they like what they like.

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #1,954 of 4,141
I would pick the Crack over Valhalla 2 every time. The Crack is also fantastic with my HD 700's . They weren't as good with the V 2 way too bright but I didn't keep it long enough to roll tubes . Tubes would have to go a long way to change that not for should it could but maybe. I don't have the speedball in my BH Crack yet will be ordering soon.

What exactly is the speedball? like a dac or more ampage?

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,955 of 4,141
Dec 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #1,956 of 4,141
Anyone else still awaiting shipping notices?

Yes....but then with MassDrop I've found one just needs to be really patient....
popcorn.gif

I've got 3 Danacables on the way to enjoy with other headphones so I'll be entertained.
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #1,957 of 4,141
I'm ok with being patient but when other people have had theirs for days and I haven't even received a shipping notice despite being logged in the moment the drop went live is disappointing and will be enough for me to avoid massdrop in the future.

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #1,958 of 4,141
I am also awaiting a shipping notice. However, I am taking the long view here: I consider myself lucky to be given the opportunity to buy in on this drop following the first failed attempt and if the headphones are a little slow to arrive, it's no big deal. Seriously, if this is the worst thing to ever happen to me then I've been leading a charmed life.

Dec 16, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #1,959 of 4,141
I get that, this is certainly not that big a deal at all and I'm sure it'll get here soon. But it doesn't mean it hasn't been a disappointing experience either.

Dec 16, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #1,960 of 4,141
I get that, this is certainly not that big a deal at all and I'm sure it'll get here soon. But it doesn't mean it hasn't been a disappointing experience either.
Have faith, I'm a member of the last 8 percent as well. Should be next week:)

Dec 16, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #1,961 of 4,141
HD650 is a boring sound signature, it does everything perfectly, but it has no fun factor.

The 650 is far from boring, it is quite engaging really. The midrange is fantastic, has lowend oomph and with a solid setup it is quite nice. I still prefer the 400i but, the 6XX is going to be quite the compliment. 

Dec 16, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #1,962 of 4,141
Just opened mine. The blue is really subtle, but either way I really like the look of it. Got number 194, and the sticker looks kinda last minute. The box is impressive, very well done. Loud house so no listening impressions. I'll get some time tomorrow morning I hope.

Dec 17, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #1,964 of 4,141
2 people or so reported faulty right drivers.  Fingers crossed that it's just those two with issues...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back