Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 11, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #2,851 of 4,141
Yeah sometimes that can happen, you get too carried away in any little flaws or upgrades that you forget to actually just sit back and listen. I tend to do same thing, but I agree the HD6XX are fantastic and I also viewed them as a near end game for me. Can't imagine every dropping $1000 on headphones, I'm more of a speaker guy anyway.
If you like the smooth and slightly veiled sound of Sennheiser, I think this is THE end game for you. I haven't found any "better" cans that follow the same signature

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #2,852 of 4,141
We have similar headphones. I really like my DT990 for watching movies. You have that huge sound stage, bass for explosions and the highs for bullet casings hitting the ground! Lol. Really are awesome. Not my favorite for music.

I need to pull the DT990 out and try them with the MZ2. Maybe a little tube magic will help them out a bit. No matter what they are awesome for gaming and movies. Can't beat them for the price. I think I paid $129 for the all black Pro SE 250 ohm. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #2,853 of 4,141
  How is the Dark Voice amp someone linked to? I could spend $200 on an amp if it improves over my O2 I was using.

Maybe I'll see if I can try the LCD-2 but I'm not going to buy it based on it maybe not being a huge step up. 

I would gladly sell the SR3030 system and the HD6XX and buy one headphone that combines the strengths of both, but maybe it doesn't exist. If the treble is more recessed on the LCD-2 that is way too recessed for my taste. The SR3030 is treble heavy. The SR-007 seems like it might be the closest thing but too expensive.

To me the sound of the electrostatics truly is "airier" though. What's weird is it measures as heavy enough bass, and the bass is very clear:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR404S2742.pdf

But there's no punch to it. It feels too transparent.

I did like the SR-Lambda a bit more I believe:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxLambdaSBsnA19858.pdf

A few of us just got the DV336SE (xmas time and all) I for one have been enjoying mine greatly.. It has enhanced my listening with my DT880 Premium 250Ohms headphones..     I have found it too be as the tube sound was advertised to me.. warmer ..   I have appreciated the taming of the highs on the DT880's

I have been using mine with a RCA 6SN7GT and GE 6AS7GA ... replaced the stock Chinese tubes fairly quickly..  it is a kewl looking amp and messing around with tube rollin' is fairly rewarding (imho).

I believe the DV has a solid rep for use with the Senn HD600 and 650's and of course also with the Beyer's such as my own.

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #2,854 of 4,141
Is there a big difference when upgrading the amp for a HD650/HD6XX?
I'm considering upgrading to a Magni 2 from my DACport HD.

DACport Slim's amp specs below.  HD is a little more powerful, but I unfortunately can't find the specifications.
---------------------------
Output power (preliminary):  
16Ω: 250mW max, per channel  
32Ω: 225mW max, per channel  
300Ω: 52mW, max, per channel  

Magni 2 for comparison.
--------------------
16 ohms: 1.8W RMS per channel  
32 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel  
300 ohms: 260mW RMS per channel
So yeah a lot more power on paper, but both the DACport Slim and HD I have provide enough power to blow my ears out.

Or maybe I just need to dip out of these forums and enjoy some music, haha.

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #2,855 of 4,141
  Is there a big difference when upgrading the amp for a HD650/HD6XX?
I'm considering upgrading to a Magni 2 from my DACport HD.

DACport Slim's amp specs below.  HD is a little more powerful, but I unfortunately can't find the specifications.
---------------------------
Output power (preliminary):  
16Ω: 250mW max, per channel  
32Ω: 225mW max, per channel  
300Ω: 52mW, max, per channel  

Magni 2 for comparison.
--------------------
16 ohms: 1.8W RMS per channel  
32 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel  
300 ohms: 260mW RMS per channel
So yeah a lot more power on paper, but both the DACport Slim and HD I have provide enough power to blow my ears out.

Or maybe I just need to dip out of these forums and enjoy some music, haha.

get the magni. yes the hd650 needs a good amp!

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #2,856 of 4,141
At last, i received my HD6XX today, but i paid $100 for custom :frowning2:

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #2,858 of 4,141

A few of us just got the DV336SE (xmas time and all) I for one have been enjoying mine greatly.. It has enhanced my listening with my DT880 Premium 250Ohms headphones..     I have found it too be as the tube sound was advertised to me.. warmer ..   I have appreciated the taming of the highs on the DT880's

I have been using mine with a RCA 6SN7GT and GE 6AS7GA ... replaced the stock Chinese tubes fairly quickly..  it is a kewl looking amp and messing around with tube rollin' is fairly rewarding (imho).

I believe the DV has a solid rep for use with the Senn HD600 and 650's and of course also with the Beyer's such as my own.

The DV is great with high impedance cans like the Sennheisers.  Good thing you replaced the tubes since the stock Chinese ones are really terrible.  When I had my DV, I didn't use it much at first just because of the stock tubes (also had a Bottlehead Crack at the same time) and almost wrote them off until I upgraded the tubes.  Yeah, the DV is a great inexpensive way to get into tubes and to power the Sennheisers well.

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #2,859 of 4,141
Congrats! Any initial thoughts on the sound?

I have the HD650 from last 10 months, so yes there is sound difference. But let me do the burn-in for 100 hours atleast and then compare side by side.

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #2,860 of 4,141
The texture of tape hiss is so much more articulate on the Stax. It's ridiculous. SD to HD levels. 

I feel like they're exceptional at revealing how bad recordings are. I can't believe something like the SR-009 or Utopia is that much better because that much better would sound that much worse with 99% of recordings. Or do they have round smooth emotional bass coupled with the phenomenal transparent detail and superior dynamics to hide all the awful compression (loudness compression, not mp3 compression, which bothers me far less)?

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #2,861 of 4,141
Is this the HD6xx thread or the Stax thread, I'm confused...

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #2,862 of 4,141

HD6XX finally arrived. I loved it.
I've also made a silver-copper hybrid custom cable for it. It increased the treble a little. My measurements confirms it. There is a +2-3dB difference on high frequencies.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #2,864 of 4,141
Till i buy a dedicated amp... i have an old pioneer vsx 421 that has phones output in its front side. Can it drive the hd6xx? Could not understand it from the manual. Any help is apreciated http://docs.pioneer.eu/Manuals/VSX_421_K_VSX421Ken_manual/

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #2,865 of 4,141
Till i buy a dedicated amp... i have an old pioneer vsx 421 that has phones output in its front side. Can it drive the hd6xx? Could not understand it from the manual. Any help is apreciated http://docs.pioneer.eu/Manuals/VSX_421_K_VSX421Ken_manual/

For sure. When I bought by HD600 (my first higher-end can) way back when, I only had my Denon receiver to drive them at first. I was absolutely blown away by them. You will still get plenty of joy from your receiver until you can figure out a more synergistic setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back