Sennheiser RS160, 170 ,180... Anyone?
Feb 24, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #76 of 633
Here's a thought. With Wi-Fi music servers becoming popular, I wonder if a Wi-Fi enabled headphone could produce near audiophile sound quality.

I don't know much about Wi-Fi. Perhaps we have to wait for Wi-Fi NextGeneration.

Anybody know if Wi-Fi enabled wireless headphone exsit?

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #77 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
astro mixamp is precisely what I've been planning to get to bring simulated surround to the 180's.

It and the JVC SU-DH1 (w/ ac adapter) were the main contenders for me.
What made you chose it over the JVC SU-DH1?

Thanks.

No real reason to be honest, I liked the fact that the mixamp was usb powered and easily buyable in the uk. Also ,from reading around, the general consensus seemed to be that the Mixamp has better surround for the gaming, the JVC for movies. I was more interested in gaming performance.

I originally bought it for use with my pc. But didn't seem much difference from using CMSS3D so hooked it up to my ps3 and 360. Makes quite a difference to the sound IMO. The virtual centre channel means there's a less obvious separation between left and right and vocals seem more upfront.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #78 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by aabottom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a thought. With Wi-Fi music servers becoming popular, I wonder if a Wi-Fi enabled headphone could produce near audiophile sound quality.

I don't know much about Wi-Fi. Perhaps we have to wait for Wi-Fi NextGeneration.

That's what a lot of the ones about using 2.4Ghz spectrum are based on...
It's clearly becoming more finely tuned // better adapted with the advent of tech like Kleer etc.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #79 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by watusi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No real reason to be honest, I liked the fact that the mixamp was usb powered and easily buyable in the uk. Also ,from reading around, the general consensus seemed to be that the Mixamp has better surround for the gaming, the JVC for movies. I was more interested in gaming performance.

I originally bought it for use with my pc. But didn't seem much difference from using CMSS3D so hooked it up to my ps3 and 360. Makes quite a difference to the sound IMO. The virtual centre channel means there's a less obvious separation between left and right and vocals seem more upfront.

Great to hear that it works so nicely!

As I'm building a HEPC I might simply take advantage of virtual-surround software available in Windows like DH etc.
But like you it could still be handy for my x360 and ps3, & instances where I'm in a Linux environment for media playback.

I will investigate both in more depth soon, thanks.

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #80 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by aabottom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have not seen any known brand coming up with a Wifi enabled headphone though it may not take long before its application reaches the Hi-Fi headphones market.

The solution (I believe) is still in its early development phase which allows simultaneous PAN (Personal Area Network) and LAN (Local Area Network) use. This provides a dedicated bandwidth within the Wi-Fi region which means one can listen to music played over a Wi-Fi enabled PC/phone and surf the internet at the same time. Techno Guys should be able to digest the content of below link:
Ozmo Devices Announces New Wi-Fi PAN-Enabled Products - In collaboration with Avago Technologies and Wolfson Microelectronics - Softpedia

The only problem with Wi-Fi, being a wideband channel without automatic channel hopping is the susceptibility to interference from other wireless devices within the 2.4GHz frequency range. Of course, the other way around would be to go for 5GHz transmission which could mean double the transmit power (shorter battery life) to cover the same distance as the 2.5GHz.

Feb 25, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #81 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaylotc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have not seen any known brand coming up with a Wifi enabled headphone though it may not take long before its application reaches the Hi-Fi headphones market.

The solution (I believe) is still in its early development phase which allows simultaneous PAN (Personal Area Network) and LAN (Local Area Network) use. This provides a dedicated bandwidth within the Wi-Fi region which means one can listen to music played over a Wi-Fi enabled PC/phone and surf the internet at the same time. Techno Guys should be able to digest the content of below link:
Ozmo Devices Announces New Wi-Fi PAN-Enabled Products - In collaboration with Avago Technologies and Wolfson Microelectronics - Softpedia

The only problem with Wi-Fi, being a wideband channel without automatic channel hopping is the susceptibility to interference from other wireless devices within the 2.4GHz frequency range. Of course, the other way around would be to go for 5GHz transmission which could mean double the transmit power (shorter battery life) to cover the same distance as the 2.5GHz.

Hey, in order to avoid hijacking this thread on RS160/170/180, I started a new thread on Wi-Fi headphones here.

Here's some Google hits on "wifi headphones".

1. [size=x-small]Acoustic Research Wi-Fi Headphones[/size]

2. LTB's FreeZone WiFi headphones

3. Gee, I couldn't find much else relevent!

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #82 of 633
Quote:

Great to hear that it works so nicely!

As I'm building a HEPC I might simply take advantage of virtual-surround software available in Windows like DH etc.
But like you it could still be handy for my x360 and ps3, & instances where I'm in a Linux environment for media playback.

I will investigate both in more depth soon, thanks.

Sorry this is way OT, so moderator please feel free to tell me to move on...

But I've been investigating in-depth which of these two DH adapters I should get (may buy from diff retailers)
AudioCubes.com - JVC SU-DH1 Surround Headphone Adapter - SU-DH1 -
Astro Gaming | Professional Gaming Equipment | MixAmp™

And I've just had an epiphany....
Shouldn't a HTPC w/a decent soundcard (e.g. Essence ST) & the right software be able to emulate "all" the functions of these devices?
And do it with more flexibility and better quality to boot?!

Sure they can still be useful where one doesn't have easy access to such a machine....
But in a room where one already has a HTPC running Windows (ytd Linux's capabilities in this area) they're entirely redundant.

Wouldn't ya'll agree?

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #83 of 633
Quote:

Sorry this is way OT, so moderator please feel free to tell me to move on...

But I've been investigating in-depth which of these two DH adapters I should get (may buy from diff retailers)
AudioCubes.com - JVC SU-DH1 Surround Headphone Adapter - SU-DH1 -
Astro Gaming | Professional Gaming Equipment | MixAmp™

And I've just had an epiphany....
Shouldn't a HTPC w/a decent soundcard (e.g. Essence ST) & the right software be able to emulate "all" the functions of these devices?
And do it with more flexibility and better quality to boot?!

Sure they can still be useful where one doesn't have easy access to such a machine....
But in a room where one already has a HTPC running Windows (ytd Linux's capabilities in this area) they're entirely redundant.

Wouldn't ya'll agree?

That's the very reason I stuck my Mixamp into my 360. There was little difference between that and just using CMSS3D on my Auzentech prelude.

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #87 of 633
What are you plugging headroom's amp/dac into?
If the source is non-tampered digital it's possible the dac might have an impact (I'd be surprised if it made a huge difference), the amp won't.
It's got to run through an adc in the transmitter, be transmitted digitally, and then run through another dac/amp in the cans...

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #88 of 633
Just the computer's soundcard, ok...thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
So it's not really going to help much

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #89 of 633
Well it's possible that the DAC component may make a difference but personally I don't see how. And even if it did, I doubt it'd be "night and day"....

What would be more handy is one of those surround sound adapters that can take multi-channel digital-in & remix it into a stereo format so you can get virtual surround sound.

You'd plug it into any gaming consoles you have, if you have more than one you can use a toslink splitter to switch between them.

Unfortunately it's not looking like one can do multi-channel digital-in via a HTPC w/anything newer than XP.
Which is what I was hoping to do.... (haven't given up yet)

The most popular of these sort of devices are the Astro Mixamp, and the Victor SU-DH1. (make sure you get this Asian version not the NA "JVC", as it has the ability to take DC-in, not just batteries)

The former doesn't do DTS 5.1, which by all accounts is a tad better than DD 5.1.
But not may games use DTS 5.1 compared to DD 5.1, more movies do though so it depends on what you'd mostly want it for.
And if you care the Mixamp also has a mic built-in.

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #90 of 633
I have a question regarding the post above: what happens to this line of headphones when i feed them a 5.1 DTS signal? Can they handle it, or do i need a receiver/amp that has a "Dolby headphone' or similar tech to decode the signal first?

Or are these just not suited for DTS playback and I should go with the Sony DS6000 or pioneer DIR800C?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back