Sennheiser RS160, 170 ,180... Anyone?
Dec 31, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #16 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NB: The European version is illegal in the USA and the USA version is illegal in Europe.

Why?
I'm dying to know.
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #17 of 633
I just took delivery of the RS 180. I'm new to full size cans and am very excited. They're recharging now but will give them a thorough go as soon as this evening. What a way to ring in 2010.
I've got a 2 year old and have been getting back into LPs. I'm going to feed the transmitter directly to my phono pre amp and see how that works.

Jan 1, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #18 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by huigter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sorry, I do not remember the exact model number because the last time I had them was 2006. At that time, I had a set of wired Sennheiser over the ear headphones that were about $140. (if that helps you remember the exact model). I looked at the current model line, and what I had was very similar to the 595s.

Thanks, that helps!

Happy New Year, y'all headphone fanatics!

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #19 of 633
Does nobody have a descent review about those headphones?? They have been out couple of months already and I cant find any proper reviews about those.

Do you guys know where I can buy those in UK. Every online store is out of stock.

Jan 4, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #20 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you very much for the mini-review. I have long wanted another wireless set (the last pair I had was a Sennheiser model at least 8 years ago), and these are very tempting. Can you tell us what Sennheiser models you are comparing the RS180 to, for reference purposes? Thanks.

Priest,

Did the pair of Sennheiser Wireless you owned in the past have the auto tune 'one push' button or the manual tune wheel like the models in my signature? Do you remember any model numbers? If they took the small BA 151 battery they where close to what I have in performance.

My first pair of Wireless Sennheiser were purchased back in 1997 [HDR 8-9 HiDynplus] and took some adjustment since I was using my HD 540 reference that I still use for audio editing to this day.

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #21 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exact Sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Priest,

Did the pair of Sennheiser Wireless you owned in the past have the auto tune 'one push' button or the manual tune wheel like the models in my signature? Do you remember any model numbers? If they took the small BA 151 battery they where close to what I have in performance.

My first pair of Wireless Sennheiser were purchased back in 1997 [HDR 8-9 HiDynplus] and took some adjustment since I was using my HD 540 reference that I still use for audio editing to this day.

Good question. They definitely had a manual tune wheel. I could ID them if I saw a picture. I googled yours, and that didn't turn anything up that looked like mine. Mine looked almost Grado-ish. Totally supra-aural. It was probably more like 10 or more years ago that I bought them.

ps, Welcome to Head-Fi. And I like your signature.

Jan 5, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #22 of 633
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good question. They definitely had a manual tune wheel. I could ID them if I saw a picture. I googled yours, and that didn't turn anything up that looked like mine. Mine looked almost Grado-ish. Totally supra-aural. It was probably more like 10 or more years ago that I bought them.

ps, Welcome to Head-Fi. And I like your signature.

Thanks!

My avatar has a partial pic of the wireless units I use now. I'm almost 100% sure you had the same ones I currently still use. Works well for TV but RF noise floor takes getting used to.

Here is link for the wireless series that replaced mine. Review: Sennheiser RS 65 wireless headphones

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #23 of 633
I hope I didn't miss any info already posted online reviews but here goes.

[size=medium]These questions are addressed to any owners or testers of the Sennheiser RS 160, 170 or 180's:[/size]

How exactly is the input configured?

Is there a level input adjustment like there was on the old school Senn HDR 8-9 base transmitter?...flashing red led when being over driven?

Can the transmitter base be over driven causing clipping or distortion?

Is the automatic level control on the 180's noticeable?....can you hear it compressing or pumping?

Are the head phones for the 160 and the 170 essential identical in sonic performance?

What models can be used with what transmitters? 160 base with a 170 or 180 headphone? ....180 base with a 160 or 170 headset...etc....?

How much obstruction can these transmitters penetrate without degradation of signal?...and realistic broadcast range? Line of sight range?

My older Senn HDR 8-9's and 6-9's do ok through normal household construction up to about 60 feet or so for non-critical listening but require a fair amount of fiddling of tuning especially when a neighbor uses a 900 mHz phone causing the reception to get pushed over. I wonder if the 2+ gig Hz phones will affect them? I have 2 separate wireless lines in my house each on their own system in this frequency range.

What corded Sennheisers sound similar?

Would these be appropriate for legally blind folks?...Simple enough to operate for 85 year old senior? My dad is in this situation and cord would be tripped over or yanked and needs to use a 10X map magnifier to read most anything.

I understand this forum is mainly for headphone audiophiles in search of sonic excellence and purity but real world practicality often wins out over idealism in all areas of life. I have listened to class "A and B" audiophile systems and frankly it is tough to go home listen to my compromise. I have always had a tough time being tethered to wired headphones unless I force myself to stay put or I'm editing spoken word content which I do for a living. I'd love to be able to retire my wired headphones for audio editing and even most music listening. I have yanked cords out of my HD 540's countless times. This is why most of my non editing listening is done with my old Sennheiser wireless 8-9's or 6-9's. I'd love to semi-retire them with a very stable almost imperceptable real world acceptable nosie floor wireless in a radius under 50 feet with minmal obstructions.

Any input much apreciated.

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #24 of 633
I've had a chance to put my hands on an unboxed RS160 (not the transmitter, only the headphone), but unfortunately not to listen to them. few seconds only, but from what I've seen they are a nice piece of gear, both aestethically and construction wise. Just waiting for someone that could tell us how they sound.

Regards
K.

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #26 of 633
I've had about 10 hours on the new RS-180. I've been listening to my old vinyl records and I have to say that I'm very impressed with these cans. They sound Fantastic. I'm comparing them to the MDR-7506 Sony's I use for Editing Video and listening to music off my computer while I'm working. The Sony's are just harsh and very one dimensional. It's seems like everything is up front and center. The RS-180s are so much nicer to listen to especially at low volume. I still prefer to listen to my speakers but this type of listening is really appealing to me. It's very different.

So I'll complain just a little. I can't believe how light these are. That's a good thing I know but the plastic feels just ok. There is some creaking that happens when you remove them or put them on. A little disappointing. They're fine once on and very comfy but just creaky with normal handling. I'd expect it after a few years but right out of the box?

OK. Answers... there is a switch in the back of the transmitter that switches from 0 to -8db. One is recommended for Ipods or portable devices and the other is for Home Hifi. I use the -8 DC setting and I use the provided adapter to hook it directly to my source. I use the Pro-ject SE II Tubebox. I noticed the the levels on the headphones need to be up in the higher range and I tried to switch it to the 0 setting but it was just too loud. Not distorted or clipping as you say but definitely way to loud for my liking.

As far as range, it's pretty incredible. I went downstairs to wash my car as I live in a three story condo and I'm on the third floor and heard no difference but just the ambient noise from other cars and such. No dropping at all. The only times it cuts out for a split second is in front of the nuker. just walking by it will cause it to drop. just briefly however. There is a manual pairing option but I haven't felt the need to do that just yet.

I wish I can say more about the SQ but I'm just not experienced. I really like how the mids sound. Vocals, electric and acoustic guitars are excellent. I've since just listen mostly to Cat Stevens and a bunch of Mark Knopfler stuff and the RS-180 are so much sweeter and fuller than my MDR-7506s. I know they're totally different cans but its my only reference. I really like accurate and responsive mids and as far as the sens they're delivering. This is my first open Headphones and I'm liking a...lot.

I've got a question to throw back at everyone. I know amplification is super important. I don't know if these wireless cans need it since I don't have one. I've talked to my Stereo Repair, Vinyl Sensei here in town and he said for best results, I should just go straight the source. Meaning straight from the phone stage through RCAs or the headphone jack from my Yamaha CD player. It's sounds great to me but getting new gear is so much fun. BTW, if you can get your hands on a Yamaha CDX 820, 920, 1100 or whatever, you should this CD player, it rocks. Sounds great. and cheap. My Audio Sensei played one side by side by side to some customer CD players and he and I just smiled and went straight to fleabay. He's buys any he can get his hands on and makes his tweaks and voila, I've unplugged my adcom CD Player.

Anyhow, I'm full rambling now so I guess it's time for bed. Peace everyone. I've really enjoyed this forum. Great stuff.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #27 of 633
FWIW,

I grabbed a pair of "B" stock open box wireless Sony MDR-DS6000 from Headroom for $99 Sony MDR-DS6000 - Digital Wireless Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

Figured I can't loose at that price - if I don't like them I'll put them on eBay.

At some point I'll get the new RS 160-180's and I'll be able to directly compare them myself and be done with it already.
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #28 of 633
Quote:

FWIW,

I grabbed a pair of "B" stock open box wireless Sony MDR-DS6000 from Headroom for $99 Sony MDR-DS6000 - Digital Wireless Headphones | HeadRoom Audio

Figured I can't loose at that price - if I don't like them I'll put them on eBay.

At some point I'll get the new RS 160-180's and I'll be able to directly compare them myself and be done with it already.
wink.gif

Nice deal.
smile.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #29 of 633
Quote:

FWIW,

wink.gif

Is that where you bought it? I don't see the deal.

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #30 of 633
I've been researching the best RF cans on the market for 6mth+ on & off.

There's a huge lack of quality comparative reviews for RF cans.
Even just quality reviews of one RF model are hard to come by.

This is all I've been able to put together so far...
high fidelity wireless headphones - AVS Forum

I'll prolly be going for the RS-180 for combination of reasons...
Not necessarily because they're the best overall SQ, their RF delivery system is the single biggest factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back