Sennheiser RS 165, RS 175, RS 185, RS 195 - Impressions thread
Jan 11, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #332 of 440
What are your opinions on the RS 185 Vs. RS 195 , those of you who have heard both?  I use the RS 180 for music and the RS 195 for films.  I had asummed that the RS 195 as top of the line was better than the RS 185, I think I was wrong? Opinions on the audio comparative quality?  The use of the side buttons? Etc.

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #333 of 440
I'll just leave a note here that after testing an RS 175 I am returning it. The mids and highs are just not there and I'm coming from an Ultrasone HFI-780 and a Sennheiser IE80. Add to that that my AVR doesn't seem to convert AC3/DTS to 2ch PCM on second zone out and the receiver that comes with it does not decode any of the movie formats (which I knew but it is still a miss), it does not appeal at all.

I'm going to give aptX LL a try paired with my Sound Blaster E5; it's not as convenient as this but I really don't understand how Sennheiser can sell this as TV/movie type cans with such lack of definition and clarity in mid and high range. 

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #334 of 440

Looks perfect to me.  Let us know whatever you try as, if it works, it can help others with similar problems.

I opted for a cheaper USB sound card and it was total garbage, lots of stutter etc. - lesson learned.

Anyway I got the Asus card and it's perfect. There's a night and day difference from using analog, much less audible white noise and no dynamic changing of volume when gaming or using VOIP/Teamspeak etc. Thanks a lot.

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #335 of 440
Want to stick some RS185 velour earcups on my RS175, does anybody know where I can buy these? (UK)

Found them direct from Sennheiser but the wait is up to 30 days:
http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/wireless-headphones/rs-185/ear-pads-1pair-hdr185.html

Also the picture there doesn't look right? Yet it does say they're RS185 pads.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #336 of 440
  Want to stick some RS185 velour earcups on my RS175, does anybody know where I can buy these? (UK)

Found them direct from Sennheiser but the wait is up to 30 days:
http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/wireless-headphones/rs-185/ear-pads-1pair-hdr185.html

Also the picture there doesn't look right? Yet it does say they're RS185 pads.

That's them, picture makes them look a little rounder than they are.  German Sennheiser site has a better picture.  I don't know of anywhere else to purchase the official pads.

Come to think of it, I have two new pairs of pads (minus the mounting rings) as I've only ever used third party ones.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #337 of 440

That's them, picture makes them look a little rounder than they are.  German Sennheiser site has a better picture.  I don't know of anywhere else to purchase the official pads.

Come to think of it, I have two new pairs of pads (minus the mounting rings) as I've only ever used third party ones.

Ah, the picture on Sennheiser's site I linked is actually the RS180 if you look carefully - I guess a mistake on their part.

I guess I'll order and wait.

What third party ear pads have you been using, were they easy to install?

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #338 of 440

Ah, the picture on Sennheiser's site I linked is actually the RS180 if you look carefully - I guess a mistake on their part.

I guess I'll order and wait.

What third party ear pads have you been using, were they easy to install?

RS180, really?  Good catch!  I'm not familiar with with how those look.

If you're in a rush and/or don't mind trusting random guy from internetz, I can post you a pair for £20 to my PayPal.  You'd have to attach them to your mounting rings yourself, though.  I assume a new pair comes with the mounting rings included?

The stock pads are actually my least favourite thing about the RS185.  I mention the pads I'm using, and application, here and here.  I did break a mounting clip over the last few months though - vigorous lint removal
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #339 of 440
I got my RS185 this past December, so since it's been some time, I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents about it.

I've had a RS120 for about 7 years that I mainly used for console gaming and took the opportunity to upgrade (RS185 at 229€ on sale vs. 350€ MSRP, no brainer) and oh wow, what an upgrade! I mean yeah no kidding they don't cost the same and don't play in the same ballpark for sure, but man, I didn't expect such a leap forward in... pretty much everything, really.

Had the RS120 hooked up to the TV's audio jack output, and it served me well for all those years, but had its share of problems most likely due to the VHF radio transmission, like the permanent background white noise and interferences with stuff like mobile phones, not to mention the volume scrollwheel that had worn out (causing L/R balance to fly out of the window and scratching noise), combined all together they became dreadful to use so I was really aching for something else, something new, something better, but something that was still wireless (let's be real, once you tasted the freedom of wireless headphones, you don't want to go back to wired if you can help it :V ).

Enter the RS185, and I'm a happy man. It's like night and day. It solved every problem I had previously. I'm not reluctant to use them for simple music listening anymore (with a Fiio X1 plugged on it), and last but not least, it's now hooked up on the TV in optical S/PDIF.
From an audio standpoint, what stands out the most is that its V shaped sound, while still there, is so light that it actually makes it actually the versatile type, it's basically good at everything you throw at it. It feels like it was made to be the only pair of headphones you'd need at home. It sounds absolutely clean, like no hiss or interference or anything, you wouldn't be able to tell that you're wearing wireless headphones.

No regrets, I love it.

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #340 of 440
  I got my RS185 this past December, so since it's been some time, I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents about it.

I've had a RS120 for about 7 years that I mainly used for console gaming and took the opportunity to upgrade (RS185 at 229€ on sale vs. 350€ MSRP, no brainer) and oh wow, what an upgrade! I mean yeah no kidding they don't cost the same and don't play in the same ballpark for sure, but man, I didn't expect such a leap forward in... pretty much everything, really.

Had the RS120 hooked up to the TV's audio jack output, and it served me well for all those years, but had its share of problems most likely due to the VHF radio transmission, like the permanent background white noise and interferences with stuff like mobile phones, not to mention the volume scrollwheel that had worn out (causing L/R balance to fly out of the window and scratching noise), combined all together they became dreadful to use so I was really aching for something else, something new, something better, but something that was still wireless (let's be real, once you tasted the freedom of wireless headphones, you don't want to go back to wired if you can help it :V ).

Enter the RS185, and I'm a happy man. It's like night and day. It solved every problem I had previously. I'm not reluctant to use them for simple music listening anymore (with a Fiio X1 plugged on it), and last but not least, it's now hooked up on the TV in optical S/PDIF.
From an audio standpoint, what stands out the most is that its V shaped sound, while still there, is so light that it actually makes it actually the versatile type, it's basically good at everything you throw at it. It feels like it was made to be the only pair of headphones you'd need at home. It sounds absolutely clean, like no hiss or interference or anything, you wouldn't be able to tell that you're wearing wireless headphones.

No regrets, I love it.

Congrats on getting the RS 185! Glad you like em! 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jan 17, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #341 of 440
Having owned these for few weeks now, i have mixed feelings towards this headphone.

1. Rock Solid connection
2. Plays LOUD. many wireless headphones don't
3. Comfortable shape and lightweight
4. Free headphone stand.

DISLIKE
1. Itchy, rough, cheap earpads. These earpads definitely belong to $50 headphones. Even the old HD5XX series have much nicer pads and they now all comes with very nice 'luxurious velour'.
2. Lacking in subbass. 
3. Small soundstage for a Closed back. My DT1770 has bigger soundstage.
4. Slightly lacking in dynamics.
5. The balance button is in the wrong place.

I don't really know how to judge a wireless headphone like this. On one hand, they have many flaws when compared with wired headphones but on the other hand, they are one of the best wireless headphones and comes with a built-in DAC and some nice accessories. 

They are currently very cheap in Amazon but the retails prices in stores are higher than HD650. I would rate the SQ as something slightly below HD5XX series. Detail levels are slightly below HD5XX but they lack dynamics and bass.

When compared to Bluetooth headphones like PXC550, this have a bit more detail but lacking in bass. Considering their retail prices are not too far apart, it's a really difficult to pick one over the other.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #342 of 440

RS180, really?  Good catch!  I'm not familiar with with how those look.

If you're in a rush and/or don't mind trusting random guy from internetz, I can post you a pair for £20 to my PayPal.  You'd have to attach them to your mounting rings yourself, though.  I assume a new pair comes with the mounting rings included?

The stock pads are actually my least favourite thing about the RS185.  I mention the pads I'm using, and application, here and here.  I did break a mounting clip over the last few months though - vigorous lint removal
tongue_smile.gif

Haha I appreciate the offer but there's no need, I think I much prefer the idea of third party after seeing your pic!

Something like this should do the job you think?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDX4YO?th=1

I've actually never had decent enough ear pads from Sennheiser, my previous HyperX Clouds were an absolute dream compared to the RS175 at about 1/4 the price.

Not a big deal like, quite keen to experiment here :)

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #343 of 440

Haha I appreciate the offer but there's no need, I think I much prefer the idea of third party after seeing your pic!

Something like this should do the job you think?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDX4YO?th=1

I've actually never had decent enough ear pads from Sennheiser, my previous HyperX Clouds were an absolute dream compared to the RS175 at about 1/4 the price.

Not a big deal like, quite keen to experiment here :)

Yup, those are the exact velour ones you see in my picture.  They unsurprisingly (?) sound better than the pleather, but are lint-magnets.  I often find myself reaching for the pleather pair just so I don't have to plan where I temporarily lay them down when taking a break.  I blame the dog!

I do recommend the velours for pure sound quality, though.

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #345 of 440

Yup, those are the exact velour ones you see in my picture.  They unsurprisingly (?) sound better than the pleather, but are lint-magnets.  I often find myself reaching for the pleather pair just so I don't have to plan where I temporarily lay them down when taking a break.  I blame the dog!

I do recommend the velours for pure sound quality, though.

That's always the problem with velour pads though, find myself cleaning them too often - but it's worth it for the sound stage and comfort aspects. The bass on the RS175 can often be too much for me too, with vibrations that tickle/irritate my ears... so hopefully this can be a remedy too.

Just ordered the Red Velour ones, will come back to update on Thursday. :)

Quote:
  I bought the RS185 earpads (velour) for my Rs175 set in here:

Ah that's the same link I posted above, they said 30 days ETA on stock just 2 days ago! Oh well.

Thanks for linking but I've gone for the Brainwavz pads for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back