Sennheiser RS 165, RS 175, RS 185, RS 195 - Impressions thread
Jan 18, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #348 of 440
Thank you for your input ! I see you wrote (With a Fiio X1 plugged on it). I have RS 180 and RS 195 which I understood have their own DAC and amp in them, at least the RS 195  is very loud.
How and why would you need the Fiio and how do you connect it?  How do they sound without Fiio?
thanks.

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #349 of 440
  Thank you for your input ! I see you wrote (With a Fiio X1 plugged on it). I have RS 180 and RS 195 which I understood have their own DAC and amp in them, at least the RS 195  is very loud.
How and why would you need the Fiio and how do you connect it?  How do they sound without Fiio?
thanks.

My music is on my Fiio X1, it's as simple as that. Sure, I can also use my laptop were my music also is, plug it in HDMI on the TV and get the sound out of it in S/PDIF, but since I really have to go out of my way to plug the laptop to the TV to begin with, I just don't do it. It's just not convenient enough for my use. Basically, I'm using the S/PDIF only for my game console, which is conveniently plugged on HDMI to the TV already.
So for my music listening needs I have the X1 hooked up on the RS185's RCA audio input with an RCA-jack adapter.

But really, whether it be in RCA or S/PDIF, the RS185 sounds fantastic. I've yet to try out watching movies with it though, just for the sake of checking if the wider dynamic range in those would become a problem.

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #350 of 440
Thank you for contacting the Sennheiser Technical Support Team. The RS 185 does have a DAC inside to convert the optical signal to analog.

The RS 180 does not have a DAC as it only has an analog input.

Please don't hesitate to reach out with any follow up questions.

Have a great day.

Lachlan Brennan

#TS100203928
Sennheiser USA Tech Support
Thank you,
Sennheiser Support Team 

Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30am - 5:00pm EDT

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #351 of 440

Yup, those are the exact velour ones you see in my picture.  They unsurprisingly (?) sound better than the pleather, but are lint-magnets.  I often find myself reaching for the pleather pair just so I don't have to plan where I temporarily lay them down when taking a break.  I blame the dog!

I do recommend the velours for pure sound quality, though.

Thanks for the recommendation
bigsmile_face.gif
 So damn comfortable and look great. Sound is lovely, though the bass boost is needed to get it to a point where it was normally with the leather originals. Hopefully doesn't impact battery life a ton. 

Do you take the pads off much? Tempted to buy the leather as well and switch up every now and then.

I still have a problem with my left ear touching the driver and getting an unpleasant vibration, my ears seem normal looking enough so I don't get it lol. Wonder if anything can be done... would a small layer of foam do much to the sound do you think?

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #352 of 440

Thanks for the recommendation
bigsmile_face.gif
 So damn comfortable and look great. Sound is lovely, though the bass boost is needed to get it to a point where it was normally with the leather originals. Hopefully doesn't impact battery life a ton. 

Do you take the pads off much? Tempted to buy the leather as well and switch up every now and then.

I still have a problem with my left ear touching the driver and getting an unpleasant vibration, my ears seem normal looking enough so I don't get it lol. Wonder if anything can be done... would a small layer of foam do much to the sound do you think?

Nice job 
biggrin.gif
  I'm not 100% sure but, assuming listening volume remains the same, I don't think battery life will be affected at all as the bass boost is done in the base station and not the headphones themselves.  I think I've taken them off the rings once, but I try to avoid it so as to not stretch the pleather lip AKA horse condom.  The pleather version are arguably more comfortable and certainly offer more bass, but don't sound as good/open on the RS185 (RS175 may be different?).  They're also more rigid due to the material, so naturally don't compress as much, therefore keeping your ears further away from the driver covers.

Seems we think alike or at least have the same problems. I've had these foam/cork inlets inside since I first put them on.  Pic related.

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #353 of 440

Nice job 
biggrin.gif
  I'm not 100% sure but, assuming listening volume remains the same, I don't think battery life will be affected at all as the bass boost is done in the base station and not the headphones themselves.  I think I've taken them off the rings once, but I try to avoid it so as to not stretch the pleather lip AKA horse condom.  The pleather version are arguably more comfortable and certainly offer more bass, but don't sound as good/open on the RS185 (RS175 may be different?).  They're also more rigid due to the material, so naturally don't compress as much, therefore keeping your ears further away from the driver covers.

Seems we think alike or at least have the same problems. I've had these foam/cork inlets inside since I first put them on.  Pic related.

Did you actually experience vibration issues before you put in the foam/cork? My ears always (I think) used to touch the driver on my HyperX Cloud but I never had this issue, perhaps they just didn't produce enough kick.

Don't suppose you'd happen to know what I'm searching for to find some foam inserts? Coming up blank, I ripped the small foam cover off my old headset for now and there's been some improvement.

Thank you for being my Spirit Guide in this process :wink:

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #354 of 440
Did you actually experience vibration issues before you put in the foam/cork? My ears always (I think) used to touch the driver on my HyperX Cloud but I never had this issue, perhaps they just didn't produce enough kick.

Don't suppose you'd happen to know what I'm searching for to find some foam inserts? Coming up blank, I ripped the small foam cover off my old headset for now and there's been some improvement.

Thank you for being my Spirit Guide in this process :wink:

I can't remember ever experiencing any vibrating with these headphones. I added the inserts just for comfort as ear touching driver cover is one of my pet peeves. Try pulling the cups away from your ears slightly just to check it's the touching of the cover that causes it.

You'll want some heavy duty packing foam, though I've seen everything stuck in headphones including rolled up toilet paper (!). The foam compresses surprisingly easily, so find something rigid.

No worries :)

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #355 of 440
Bought a pair of RS165 this week for TV listening only. Initial impressions were better than expected sound but also extremely distracting lip sync issues, even though plugging a wired set of headphones into precisely the same headphone jack reveals no lip sync issues at all.

Luckily however, I had anticipated the above scenario prior to purchase (based on existing user reviews). So I only bought them knowing that my LG Smart TV (32LB6500) can actually advance the audio ahead of the picture (or delay the picture with respect to the audio) by 5 increments. After setting an increment of 4 out of the 5, I found the lip sync issues gone with the RS165. But without that enabled, yuck! I honestly don't know how people can use these things without an "audio advance" feature in their system setup, though I suppose given that the audio is always processed faster than video, perhaps no audio delay at all on many setups does actually translate to audio advance in practical terms. Though as I say, my LG Smart TV has an adjustable audio delay in increments of 1 to 15 and adjustable audio advance in increments of 1 to 5. A setting of 0 is neutral and results in no lip sync issues with speakers or wired headphones. I do not know if audio advance features are common in TVs or not.

Anyway, for anyone who is very sensitive to lip sync issues, I would not recommend such wireless headphones as these Sennheisers unless you firstly check your TV / AV headphone / audio outputs and check that you are actually able to advance the audio ahead of the picture when using ordinary wired headphones connected via the same output you intend to use for the wireless phones. Because if you can't, you will certainly have lip sync issues. Whether you can see them or not appears to be a different question and I have to conclude I am much more sensitive than the average person, since there are no mass complaints.

Like others, I do not like the stock pads. Too insulating in terms of heat retention and lack of breathability. Only any good in low humidity conditions or winter. Bad choice by Sennheiser here. Useless here in Australia.

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #356 of 440

The pads for RS 175 and RS 185 are made of different materials but they should be about the same size. 

Can you officially confirm or deny  please that the RS185 pads will fit the RS165? The stock RS165 pads are arguably not a good choice for Australia where temps and humidty are higher than most other markets for these headphones. But nor did I wish to spend money on an open-backed TV headphone with features I did not need just for the sake of a wearing part like earpads.

Thanks

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #357 of 440
  Bought a pair of RS165 this week for TV listening only. Initial impressions were better than expected sound but also extremely distracting lip sync issues, even though plugging a wired set of headphones into precisely the same headphone jack reveals no lip sync issues at all.

Luckily however, I had anticipated the above scenario prior to purchase (based on existing user reviews). So I only bought them knowing that my LG Smart TV (32LB6500) can actually advance the audio ahead of the picture (or delay the picture with respect to the audio) by 5 increments. After setting an increment of 4 out of the 5, I found the lip sync issues gone with the RS165. But without that enabled, yuck! I honestly don't know how people can use these things without an "audio advance" feature in their system setup, though I suppose given that the audio is always processed faster than video, perhaps no audio delay at all on many setups does actually translate to audio advance in practical terms. Though as I say, my LG Smart TV has an adjustable audio delay in increments of 1 to 15 and adjustable audio advance in increments of 1 to 5. A setting of 0 is neutral and results in no lip sync issues with speakers or wired headphones. I do not know if audio advance features are common in TVs or not.

Anyway, for anyone who is very sensitive to lip sync issues, I would not recommend such wireless headphones as these Sennheisers unless you firstly check your TV / AV headphone / audio outputs and check that you are actually able to advance the audio ahead of the picture when using ordinary wired headphones connected via the same output you intend to use for the wireless phones. Because if you can't, you will certainly have lip sync issues. Whether you can see them or not appears to be a different question and I have to conclude I am much more sensitive than the average person, since there are no mass complaints.

Like others, I do not like the stock pads. Too insulating in terms of heat retention and lack of breathability. Only any good in low humidity conditions or winter. Bad choice by Sennheiser here. Useless here in Australia.

That TV has an optical output, is there a particular reason are you using the analogue headphone jack?  They should of course be able to perform without a lip-sync delay in all modes, but I would hazard a guess that the optical out might eliminate sync issues.

Not sure what else to say about your sync issues.  I have my RS185 set up with my HTPC (optical out) and if I watch a movie at 1080p@23hz, there is no delay.  If I watch the same movie at 2160p@23hz (my preferred method), there is 250ms~ delay which I must correct.  The point is that I don't think the delay is inherant to the headphones, but rather what (and how) audio is fed to them.

I know you asked the question to @Rosmadi Mahmood but I'll weigh in on the pads question.  I can unofficially confirm (
tongue_smile.gif
) they will probably fit.  I believe RS165, 175, 185, 195 pads are all interchangeable.  Apologies if I'm wrong.

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #358 of 440

That TV has an optical output, is there a particular reason are you using the analogue headphone jack?  They should of course be able to perform without a lip-sync delay in all modes, but I would hazard a guess that the optical out might eliminate sync issues.

Not sure what else to say about your sync issues.  I have my RS185 set up with my HTPC (optical out) and if I watch a movie at 1080p@23hz, there is no delay.  If I watch the same movie at 2160p@23hz (my preferred method), there is 250ms~ delay which I must correct.  The point is that I don't think the delay is inherant to the headphones, but rather what (and how) audio is fed to them.

I know you asked the question to @Rosmadi Mahmood but I'll weigh in on the pads question.  I can unofficially confirm (
tongue_smile.gif
) they will probably fit.  I believe RS165, 175, 185, 195 pads are all interchangeable.  Apologies if I'm wrong.

He said he had a RS 165, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't optical in.

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #360 of 440

tongue_smile.gif

As I pointed out, the delay has to be on account of the RS165, because plugging a set of wired headphones into the exact same jack as the RS165 reveals no lip-sync issues whatsoever  - it is exactly the same as listening via the in-built speakers - perfect. Perhaps Rosmadi can advise whether the higher end models have less lag than the inexpensive RS165 since there are very few reviews here or elsewhere relating to the RS165 and I simply assumed the lag would be no worse than the 175 and 185.\\

I deliberately avoided buying the RS195 because the DSP would add even more lag and I was worried about spending the money only to find the TV wouldn't be able to compensate. But with the RS165, even when I set the audio advance to maximum - which, when using wired headphones puts the sound WAY ahead of the picture - is not always enough to compensate for the considerable RS165 lag. I was watching something on Netflix last night and even with maximum audio advance, the lip sync issues (sound behind the video) - were still obvious with the RS165 and yet non-existent with wired phones plugged into the very same jack.

I'd been using wired headphones for two years out of the very same headphone jack without any lip sync problems at all, so it is disappointing for them to only start after getting these wireless headphones, especially after reading comments that the lag shouldn't be noticeable and having done a considerable amount of testing to make sure my TV was able to advance the audio over the video to compensate. Whilst it can do this, it is still obvious that the adjustment is not enough in all cases and that 5 increments is too broad an adjustment to get it really perfect (as I say, the setting that seems best most of the time is between -4 and -5).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back