Sennheiser RS 165, RS 175, RS 185, RS 195 - Impressions thread
Dec 20, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #316 of 440
  I own The RS 175 base and the HDR 185 headphones. I´m really loving them so far.

But i really dislike the Surround sound feature.

Interesting ...

Likewise, I too just received my RS 175, and placed an order for the HDR 185 just yesterday!
Curious to know if you have a preference between the two?
Also, what was your reasoning for acquiring the additional HDR 185 and not a 2nd HDR 175?

Ted in Niagara Region of Canada

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #317 of 440
I wouldn't say that surround sound headphone are BS at all. I have a pair of Sony MDR-HW 700 which are absolutely terrific for AV, but fall bit short on the Hi-fi side of things, which is why I have supplemented them with a pair of 185s. No complaints on those either, very pleased with both my purchaces.

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #318 of 440
I wouldn't say that surround sound headphone are BS at all. I have a pair of Sony MDR-HW 700 which are absolutely terrific for AV, but fall bit short on the Hi-fi side of things, which is why I have supplemented them with a pair of 185s. No complaints on those either, very pleased with both my purchaces.

Preferring the Sony for movies and RS185 for music? The thing that put me off the Sonys was the irremovable battery and confusion over using two pairs with one receiver. Almost all of my listening is AV these days though; quite happy with the RS185 but would like to hear your comparisons.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #319 of 440
I got hdr 175 headsets and im having little problem whit this setup. When im listening music whit software and when i go watch like youtube video or play games it lowers automatically music lower. How fix this anybody know?

Jan 2, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #320 of 440
  I got hdr 175 headsets and im having little problem whit this setup. When im listening music whit software and when i go watch like youtube video or play games it lowers automatically music lower. How fix this anybody know?

I've experienced this a few times whilst playing CSGO, thought it was the headset running out of power. Would like to know the reasoning behind this.

I wonder if switching to SPDIF would fix this?

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #321 of 440

Assuming you're using the analogue input as well?  See below.

I've experienced this a few times whilst playing CSGO, thought it was the headset running out of power. Would like to know the reasoning behind this.

I wonder if switching to SPDIF would fix this?

Switching to SPDIF would almost certainly solve this problem.  I made this post a few months ago and, although it refers to the RS185, I think it may be similar to what you guys are experiencing.  There sounded to me like the analogue input had some noise filtering/reducing/limiting feature which was undefeatable.

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #322 of 440

Assuming you're using the analogue input as well?  See below.

Switching to SPDIF would almost certainly solve this problem.  I made this post a few months ago and, although it refers to the RS185, I think it may be similar to what you guys are experiencing.  There sounded to me like the analogue input had some noise filtering/reducing/limiting feature which was undefeatable.

Thanks for the reply.

I suspect there is some filtering there, which I found odd due to the lack of ALC on the 175 compared to the 185. I guess it's part of the KLEER wireless technology they use.

I've always used analog so know little about digital output. If I buy a soundcard is using SPDIF likely to add any latency? As there's already 45ms delay on the headphones due to KLEER.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #323 of 440
Thanks for the reply.

I suspect there is some filtering there, which I found odd due to the lack of ALC on the 175 compared to the 185. I guess it's part of the KLEER wireless technology they use.

I've always used analog so know little about digital output. If I buy a soundcard is using SPDIF likely to add any latency? As there's already 45ms delay on the headphones due to KLEER.

I can't say I have ever noticed any delay using optical. I watch a lot of movies so lip sync is very important.

KLEER isn't used in this range btw, rather Sennheiser's own in-house wireless technology.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #324 of 440
I can't say I have ever noticed any delay using optical. I watch a lot of movies so lip sync is very important.

KLEER isn't used in this range btw, rather Sennheiser's own in-house wireless technology.

Yep that's my bad I read the information wrong, it's the 160/170/180 range that uses KLEER.

I assume a simple internal soundcard will do the trick? I only need PCM 2.0 (I assume) so this should be fine: https://www.asus.com/Sound-Cards/Xonar_DGX/

Or perhaps I could gamble on something cheaper.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #325 of 440
  Yep that's my bad I read the information wrong, it's the 160/170/180 range that uses KLEER.

I assume a simple internal soundcard will do the trick? I only need PCM 2.0 (I assume) so this should be fine: https://www.asus.com/Sound-Cards/Xonar_DGX/

Or perhaps I could gamble on something cheaper.

Looks perfect to me.  Let us know whatever you try as, if it works, it can help others with similar problems.

Jan 3, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #327 of 440
Swmbo has "stolen" my HD 598s and my ears just can't take the ancient HD 525s anymore.. And I'm tired of cooking and cleaning with 5 m extension cord hanging behind my behind :)

So I need new headphones.

I do appreciate good, clear and spacious sound, even though I mostly listen to different types of heavy metal / hard rock. I liked 598s well enough, so something similar might be good choice. Preferably wireless and open backed.

RS 185 look like obvious choice, but the question is: Are my sources so crappy that it'd be waste of money to buy that good headphones?

Typically I use laptop / desktop PC, Sansa Clip mp3-player or Ruark Audio R1 as a source (mostly flac/fm). And maybe with wireless headphones I could use my Denon AVR as a source, if the range of wireless Sennheisers would be enough.

Are there any other viable options except RS 185?

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #328 of 440
Hi,

I am debated by buying
RS 165 at 120 Euro
vs.
RS-175 at 185 Euro

I would use them in my living room attached to a Projector for TV viewing (documentaries and some movies).

After a while I will buy a second set for another member of the family (up to 3 unit/family member in total)

Recommendfation?

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #329 of 440
  Swmbo has "stolen" my HD 598s and my ears just can't take the ancient HD 525s anymore.. And I'm tired of cooking and cleaning with 5 m extension cord hanging behind my behind :)

So I need new headphones.

I do appreciate good, clear and spacious sound, even though I mostly listen to different types of heavy metal / hard rock. I liked 598s well enough, so something similar might be good choice. Preferably wireless and open backed.

RS 185 look like obvious choice, but the question is: Are my sources so crappy that it'd be waste of money to buy that good headphones?

Typically I use laptop / desktop PC, Sansa Clip mp3-player or Ruark Audio R1 as a source (mostly flac/fm). And maybe with wireless headphones I could use my Denon AVR as a source, if the range of wireless Sennheisers would be enough.

Are there any other viable options except RS 185?

Since the RS185 has it's own DAC, your source does't really matter unless you plan to use it with analog input.

While RS185 is probably the best wireless headphone, it's not really super resolving. I would rate it some around HD558 level of refinement which is surprisingly good for a wireless. I have not tried using a good source with the analog input, so i can't comment on the scalability of the RS185.

On another thought, if you need wireless open headphones, unfortunately, there's not much choice available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back