(Sennheiser related...) Is it wrong of me...
Jul 4, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #16 of 37
joelpearce just won the thread! make the first ever pair of monster beats by dre planar magnetics, and make sure to vent them. then once you've tweaked them into sounding killer you can go to meets and fool people. maybe tell them that all you did was recable...
this idea sounds legendary.

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #17 of 37

Quote:
joelpearce just won the thread! make the first ever pair of monster beats by dre planar magnetics, and make sure to vent them. then once you've tweaked them into sounding killer you can go to meets and fool people. maybe tell them that all you did was recable...
this idea sounds legendary.

This idea DOES sound legendary. Any closed headphone with 40mm drivers could be transplanted into that thing. So guys, willing to start a fake Beats Studio mod thread? :D bet those DIY guys would FLIP

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #18 of 37
eek.gif

I actually don't like the look of the Beats all that much.
I think the 598s look A LOT more elegant.
Still I can see why the appeal for the Dre's is... too trendy for me I guess
(and I don't take my headphones outside, only use them at home and work).

Whoever mods the Dre's, post pictures!
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #21 of 37

Quote:
eek.gif

I actually don't like the look of the Beats all that much.
I think the 598s look A LOT more elegant.

Couldn't agree more. There is no comparison IMO. The 598s are elegant. The Beats? Not so much.

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #22 of 37
Oh I was NOT saying that I like the look of the beats. But I do like the idea of a planar magnetic beats imposter. Swaddled in the fabric of head-fi hatred, secretly harboring their greatest love. The 598 is clearly a more handsome phone, but is it poetic?

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #23 of 37
Jul 13, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #24 of 37
You have to do some heavy duty abuse to get the 650's to crack, not impossible, but you'd have to treat them like trash

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #26 of 37
Ok.
I read that this happened on old batches and that Sennheiser is replacing cans
that crack so I guess that should be Ok...

Question: Is the sound from the HD598s different from what I currently have or had? (check my signature.)

If not, I might skip these even though I love their looks!!!!
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #27 of 37
Yes, I think the 598 sounds significantly different from anything you have or have had. It will be better than any of your closed cans for all of the reasons that open is better (more realistic soundstage, generally a little less congested). And while it's maybe the most grado sounding sennheiser, it's still a sennheiser. I found it to maintain the laid back sennheiser house sound but a little more brightness and mid presence.

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #29 of 37
If it's more the looks you're concerned with you should learn to work with wood yourself. The cost of ahd2000s, sr60is, a lathe, a drillpress, accessories, and wood is altogether much cheaper than ahd7000s and rs1is. And what's more, it's both fun and rewarding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back