Sennheiser MX 985 vs. Shure SE215 LTD
Dec 13, 2012 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sue4

Head-Fier
Would you please help me w/ ur opinion, mates? With the available fund right now, I am considering to buy between sennheiser mx 985 and shure se215 ltd (since both are at the same price range/level). I guess mx 985 should have much better sound details and neutrality/naturality than se215 ltd, but it is an earbud. I do not know exactly about the sound quality of se215 ltd, since it is quite new (w/ only few reviews available), and considered from low-end class. But, it is iem, which I prefer compared to earbuds (since I commute a lot using public/mass transportations, I like my music w/ less noise; and, I like to hear music while sleeping). So, I guess ur opinion could help me making decision. Please

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 13
The are two different Sennheiser are great sounding earbuds, more detailed than SE215 but little light on bass compared to SE215 but still more enjoyable and fun to listen(you can buy Westone CIEMs shell these earbuds. Shure SE215 isolate more noise and also sound detailed with good punchy bass(overall great buy). But there are more IEms in same price with better soundquality than SE215 like JVC FXD80, RE0, Sony EX600, Yamah EPH100 and Klipsch Image X10i.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #3 of 13
Thank you for ur suggestion. Yesterday I bought sennheiser mx 985. Hearing it out of the box was disappointing, but after 2 hours burn-in I was so surprised by the changing of the sound quality. I wonder how far the changing will progress after more time is passed for using/burning in. It is true when reviewers said that it (mx 980, the predecessor) is one of the best sounding high-end earbuds, besides Yuin PK1. The sound really satisfies me n justifies the premium price (around 175.99 USD/108.99 GBP in IDR) for an earbud.
About 20' after buying the Senn, I went to another store n found the Shure SE215 Special Edition (SE). I had a chance to test it n was pleased by the sound. That 1st impression made strong my urge to buy it. Today, I received end-year bonus. At once, I use it for buying the Shure. Once again, I was disappointed by the out-of-the-box sound. This time, it hit me harder because I thought it has balanced armature that do not need burn-in to achieve its sound (so if my unit did not sound as good as the demo I heard yesterday, then I got a defective one that already cost me around 155 USD/96 GBP). But, now I know that it has dynamic driver n now in burn-in process. Wishing a bigger surprise for tomorrow...

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 13
Okay, moment of truth.. After almost a day of burn-in process, the Shure SE215 Special Edition started to change its sound. It's better than the out-of-the-box, but very small. I cannot say confidently that it is the same good as the demo I heard b4, but I like the change. But, compared to the Sennheiser MX 985, SE215 SE is bad. The dynamic driver of them seemed like have heaven-and-earth quality. I do not say "heaven-and-hell" because SE215 SE has some quality that not every IEMs has. It is sounded fun, w/ enough bass quantity while the texture is still guarded and the mids is clear. However, the trebel is recessed, not sparkling as I like. This may cause the "airy" sound disappear. I can accept this since it belong to low-end class from Shure. Meanwhile, Sennheiser MX 985 is belong to the highest class for earbuds. Its mid sounds so pure, like hearing a diva singing. The bass is full-bodied, like none is missing into the air (while it is a leaky earbuds!). The trebel is sparkling like a diamond in the sky. It has airy sound that make any musics sound smooth. I feel so much fun w/ MX 985! The only sad moment is when I have to go on travel or work, since I cannot enjoy its sound at all in noisy environment.
Time to sum up. Sennheiser MX 985 and Shure SE215 Special Edition have some common ground: they are dynamic-driven, share the same price class, and will give you some fun. From there everything will go separate ways. Sennheiser MX 985 has amazing sound and add so much fun to it. It is quite comfortable to wear, even while in bed w/ it against the head and pillow. It has metal and porcelain parts that gives a luxury and extremely durable sense. Its amazing things start to disappear once noise enter the environment. That is when Shure SE215 SE rise. Being an IEM, it will block the noise and give comfortable when use while sleeping. w/ the free-from-noise sound, the real quality of sound produced become obvious. It is not equal to its price (even my VSonic GR07 mkII has so much clear sound w/ lower price). It is still fun, but not as much as MX 985. And, it all made from plastic!

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 13
I am thinking of getting one of the Sennheiser xx985 series myself, but probably the CX because I prefer the way it interfaces with the ear canal. Regarding SE215, it has a very significant bass hump and this actually suits it very well to classical and computer gaming in my experience (especially on account of the excellent isolation when used with the Shure olive tips). Regarding burn-in, I own two pairs of SE215 - and new pair and a pair I have been using for a year. The year old pair sound better than the new pair - warmer, faster, clearer treble with more air. So yours may improve over time.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 13
Guys are Sennheiser really selling the MX985 model or not ? Because we are in March 2013 and I still can't find it anywhere.
For the guys who bought it (especially in the US) can somebody guide me please ? I really want these headphones

sorry for the bump

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 13
They do sell it. I got mine several months ago. There was an exhibition in my city last weekend and they showed it once again. Since I do not live in US, I cannot guide you. Sorry.

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #9 of 13
What about those adapters you can buy for apple earbuds to make it like IEM? I forget the name. I found an example,

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?itemId=130615442463&index=5&nav=SEARCH&nid=52204723011

I'm sure you can find them somewhere with cheap shipping. This would allow better isolation for transit.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
They do sell it. I got mine several months ago. There was an exhibition in my city last weekend and they showed it once again. Since I do not live in US, I cannot guide you. Sorry.

For the love of god you got it on some underground event hold in a Sennheiser basement ? 

edit: and do you like them ? is the ear-fit better, how are they overall 

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 13
Guys are Sennheiser really selling the MX985 model or not ? Because we are in March 2013 and I still can't find it anywhere.
For the guys who bought it (especially in the US) can somebody guide me please ? I really want these headphones

sorry for the bump

The MX985 is not sold here in the US. Us dumb Americans apparently aren't worthy enough for the almighty Sennheiser earbud. :rolleyes:

Dear Sennheiser,

Sincerely Yours,
kjk1281

On a more serious note, it appears that the MX985 are out of stock virtually everywhere online. I'm guessing that Senn only make a small amount at once, and the next batch hasn't shipped yet.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 13
The MX985 is not sold here in the US. Us dumb Americans apparently aren't worthy enough for the almighty Sennheiser earbud.
rolleyes.gif
Dear Sennheiser,

Sincerely Yours,
kjk1281

On a more serious note, it appears that the MX985 are out of stock virtually everywhere online. I'm guessing that Senn only make a small amount at once, and the next batch hasn't shipped yet.

I was really lucky as I've got the MX985 as a gift from my mum for Christmas 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back