Sennheiser Momentum vs. PSB M4U1
Mar 8, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #61 of 98
If you're using your old ipod with the gd03 - I used a sheet of "foamies" to back it up a little bit (so the ipod lines up with the connector).

You can pick this up at any craft store - take the one that's the thinest.

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #63 of 98
Did you get it yet? How does the pairing sound? I use my PSBs with a JDS C5D. The bass boost on the C5D reaches down nice and low which, paired with the EQ in PowerAmp, gives some lovely smooth sub-bass.

It's interesting how the PSBs don't have a lot of bass by default but seem to enjoy being forced into having a lot of bass.

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #64 of 98
Did you get it yet? How does the pairing sound? I use my PSBs with a JDS C5D. The bass boost on the C5D reaches down nice and low which, paired with the EQ in PowerAmp, gives some lovely smooth sub-bass.

It's interesting how the PSBs don't have a lot of bass by default but seem to enjoy being forced into having a lot of bass.

I agree with that, they produce great bass when they're told to. I just got the amp today. I want to a little brain burn in because at the moment, I don't see much improvement. Switching between my iphone 5 and the iPod touch (amped), I don't see much of a change, even when comparing the Same parts of the same songs. Comparing the sound, the unamped 5 seems to have a tighter sound. It sounds as though the amp is a little washed out. I can't quite say it's the older ipod though, since its sound signature is much more like the iphone without the amp. Unamped, I get a sound signature that's ready to go (without eq), and it sounds bassier in comparison. I will say the amp makes the eq's sound better, but I object to using eq's that aren't manually boosted because the presets never quite work universally. The amp definitely applies a lot more power, but I haven't found it better yet. I will have to see how it is after I listen solely from the amp for a while and then compare because if you know the placebo affect, well I seem to have the reverse placebo affect: I'm always critical and under impressed with headphones until I really spend some time on them.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #65 of 98
Does the amp actually have a bass boost switch? If not you're not likely to hear a difference because the PSBs don't get much from neutral amping. But you say it allows you to EQ without it affecting the volume? Does increasing the low frequency band not give some nice bass using the amp?

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #68 of 98
Tl;dr : I'm the problem
It handles the eq's better for sure, but I guess I really need to experiment and find out what I prefer. I mentally reject the bass boost on the ipod because it has always dulled the clarity without an amp. I just tested out 2 songs though, and the amp with my ipod on bass boost sounded preferable. It seemed to tweak the soundstage, but that may be all in my head. your points are very valid. Eq's preset on the ipod always sucked to me because they aren't customized/lean heavily to one spectrum, and my mindset wants it to suck. I haven't had the chance to thoroughly test it though, and I'm excited for it. I'm sorry if I'm hard to understand. I typically hate headphones (and now amps) when I first get them, but then realize how much better they are.
Give me the weekend to accurately rate these. I'm not myself this week.

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #69 of 98
No worries, have a play and I hope you find them enjoyable :)

Just a quick note: The soundstage likely sounds tweaked (I assume you're saying it's narrower) because the bassy parts of music are almost always mixed into the middle of the stero soundstage, where as guitars and cymbals etc. are at the sides. So as you increase the bass it increases the aspects that reside in the middle and draws your attention away from the more stero elements of the mix.

Try lowering the second to lowest band on your EQ a few notches, that should increase the soundstage a little and provide slightly better instrument separation.

Sorry, that wasn't such a quick note...

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #70 of 98
Alright thanks. And yes, that's what I'm seeing but you can't tweak the ipod presets, and the 5 year old tech can't support tuneshell, but I could see if there are still any comparable apps with eq customizing.

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #71 of 98
There are people who can't stand the manual EQ even if it sound better and at times, I am one of them... I will be like "hey, this is not what the headphone were supposed to sound, the EQ is on" when I switch it off or turn it to flat I will be like "EQ is much better" hehe 

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #74 of 98
There are people who can't stand the manual EQ even if it sound better and at times, I am one of them... I will be like "hey, this is not what the headphone were supposed to sound, the EQ is on" when I switch it off or turn it to flat I will be like "EQ is much better" hehe 

Yeah I've done that before when I over eq it, but I've gotten much better at it now.

Mar 12, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #75 of 98
Oh I thought you could make custom EQs in iTunes and then transfer it over. Probably wrong, I don't use Apple stuff.

And who cares if you're using EQ as long as you like the sound? EQ has really bad connotations around here, but it's an extremely cheap way of getting similar results to those of expensive equipment (within reason and depending on what you want out of it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back