Sennheiser Momentum vs. PSB M4U1
Mar 12, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #76 of 98
I'm no fan of the eq's myself, at least without proper amping. I'm all over a nice stereo with eq knobs, or a customizable eq across the different spectrums as long as it is amped better than with the one onboard the phone/ipod. The bass boost preset on my ipod with the amp is slightly preferred at the moment. Right now, I am working on the custom eq. I can make a custom eq, but can't put the eq right onto my ipod. I have to select all songs and then make the custom eq a preset for the songs. iTunes processes all that, and then all of the songs are re synced to the ipod.

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #77 of 98
I'm no fan of the eq's myself, at least without proper amping. I'm all over a nice stereo with eq knobs, or a customizable eq across the different spectrums as long as it is amped better than with the one onboard the phone/ipod. The bass boost preset on my ipod with the amp is slightly preferred at the moment. Right now, I am working on the custom eq. I can make a custom eq, but can't put the eq right onto my ipod. I have to select all songs and then make the custom eq a preset for the songs. iTunes processes all that, and then all of the songs are re synced to the ipod.

Funny how Apple didn't allow custom EQ on their IPod / iPad / iPhone. Maybe they know that they are not capable of it? hehe

Mar 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #78 of 98
It's a shame if you ask me. The iphone 4 and 4s still have some if the best sound for a smartphone to date (has a very flat frequency response, low distortion, louder, etc), but it can at least support 3rd party apps that let you edit your eq, unlike my 5 year old iPod touch.

I did more testing with the amp. I don't think the preset eq did anything on the ipod because it didn't sound different or have lower volume at the same level. However, I found that the loudness eq does very well universally. The sound signature doesn't change much at all (bass booster brings it forward and in sometimes), the bass is punchy and strong enough at this point, and the sound isn't harsh either. In comparison to bass booster, vocals sound a little better, and it doesn't put so much stress on bass guitars. With bass booster on, the bass guitar blends with the bass. Maybe that's enjoyable for select songs and genres, but on loudness, the bass guitar was audible, and only the lower notes had bass impact (the way it should be IMO).

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #81 of 98
It's suitable, and usually sounds good. I still want a stereo receiver for these though. That's where they headphones start to sound like they were really worth the money. I don't think portable devices can get close to that without a lot of money though, because... They're portable.

On a side note, the fiio x3 player is interesting, only I don't think it can play mp3 songs. I can't get everything in flac. Are there other MP3 players that are equipped with a good amp and Dac? I'm not serious about buying now, I'm more curious.

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #87 of 98
Awesome! Let me know how they sound with the x3 compared to whatever iphone/ ipod/smartphone/ mp3 player(s) you have

They paired very well and loved the SQ..wow.  How ever I returned them for the NAD HP50, really for vain reasons and they were heavy. I will say to me there were a couple of very tiny differences in sq between the Nad and the PSB, I think the sq of the PSB was more to my liking, could be my imagination. Ask me in a couple of hours this might change, who knows. I received my NAD and got a great deal on Momentums so I had both shipped to me. I have a clue about the signature of the NAD so I have been spending much time with the Momentum. I feel spoiled after hearing these 3 great headphones. The X3 does a great job with all. I am not sure how you decided which one to return.

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #88 of 98
They paired very well and loved the SQ..wow.  How ever I returned them for the NAD HP50, really for vain reasons and they were heavy. I will say to me there were a couple of very tiny differences in sq between the Nad and the PSB, I think the sq of the PSB was more to my liking, could be my imagination. Ask me in a couple of hours this might change, who knows. I received my NAD and got a great deal on Momentums so I had both shipped to me. I have a clue about the signature of the NAD so I have been spending much time with the Momentum. I feel spoiled after hearing these 3 great headphones. The X3 does a great job with all. I am not sure how you decided which one to return.
Well said. First I found it interesting how you returned them because of their weight. Yes they're heavy, but they don't feel like a weight on my head at all, even compared to the momentum. Would you say the x3 bare bones no amp provides a significant increase to an unamped iphone or ipod? I know what you mean feeling spoiled with all the nice stuff. For how I decided which one to return was mainly that the momentums were painful to wear. I thought they were a perfect overall package of great look and luxurious everything, with a sq that is not as good as the PSB, but tuned to be more likable on the go with no amp. I honestly would have chosen the momentums if it weren't for the tiny ear cups, but I'm happy with the PSB's amazing sq across the board despite being picky with needing good amps and the need to manually adjust the eq to my liking

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #90 of 98
Well said. First I found it interesting how you returned them because of their weight. Yes they're heavy, but they don't feel like a weight on my head at all, even compared to the momentum. Would you say the x3 bare bones no amp provides a significant increase to an unamped iphone or ipod? I know what you mean feeling spoiled with all the nice stuff. For how I decided which one to return was mainly that the momentums were painful to wear. I thought they were a perfect overall package of great look and luxurious everything, with a sq that is not as good as the PSB, but tuned to be more likable on the go with no amp. I honestly would have chosen the momentums if it weren't for the tiny ear cups, but I'm happy with the PSB's amazing sq across the board despite being picky with needing good amps and the need to manually adjust the eq to my liking

1) The X3 is a dap and dac. The device as a dap is a powered device as is. Use it the same as you would an iPod or Clip+

The weight was evenly distributed in the PSB and you are correct you couldnt really feel it, however I knew the NAD were lighter.

I kinda bumped the bass a bit with both the PSB and NAD...by the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back