Sennheiser Momentum vs. PSB M4U1
Feb 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 98

curtisngl

100+ Head-Fier
At this point, I can buy either for the same price. I know the preferences will be quite opinionated, so here's how I'd be using them: I generally listen to rock where the momentum's slightly more v shaped sound is a general preference, but the PSB's supposedly cleaner and natural sound is also very appealing to me. I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either as in the wire cutter article, the PSB were the winners with the slightly bassier momentums right behind them. Now here's also a big factor: the majority of time I use the headphones will be unamped from my iphone 5 if not always. I know the PSB are very efficient and are good without one, but I don't know if the momentums are at all. If I were to use an amp with either, it would be nothing special, most likely a fiio e6. I like to have a punchy bass, but I also like the bass to sound natural. The PSB are said to have sufficient bass, but the momentums are tempting. I like to listen to many varieties of classic rock, and bands like Linkin Park and Rise Against. Again, I like bass, but I want songs like Billy Joel's "only the good die young" to sound fun and lively. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the PSB, but I would really like your help and opinions. And while I appreciate the effort, I'd rather not have other options introduced. I've spent a long time looking at different options and finally narrowed it down to two. Thanks!

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 98
Hello,

I say go for the Sennheiser Momentum! While it does not sound as clean as PSB M4U1 but it does not show any hint of sibilant, distortion or things like that. It does not need an amp either.

The only thing that I am against you in buying the Momentum is because of it's lack of tight bass.

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 98
Between the two, Momentum is the better-sounding choice. I could hear some slight reverberation in the housing on PSB and the treble was sometimes sharp. But don't get Momentum if you have big ears because the earcups are small. It's otherwise light on the head and comfortable.

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #6 of 98
My ears aren't huge, but they're definitely not small. Does anyone have measurements or picture with a ruler?

Search for earcup measurements or something similar. I'd link to it but I'm not at a computer. I contributed to that thread, which reminds me that I have some new ones to add.

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #7 of 98
My ears aren't huge, but they're definitely not small. Does anyone have measurements or picture with a ruler?

Hello,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/653032/size-matters-earpad-hole-measurements-for-over-ear-headphones <- check out this link :)

I believe it feels on ear to almost everyone IMO

Billson :)

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 98
The height is definitely fine, and the width is very similar to a cheap pair of skullcandy crushers I've got laying around. Is there any padding over the driver though? Because the back end of my ears will touch the driver. I'll need slight cushioning to be comfortable vs a paper thin polyester/ elastic material

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 98
I contacted the seller of the psb on amazon, and they are open to me returning them after using them if I don't like them. On seller of the momentums is ok with it, but charge 15% ($45) for restocking, but I'll contact other sellers to see if they don't charge that. If so, I might buy both at once and evaluate from there. If my mom freaks out about me spending $600 on headphones even though I'll only end up spending $300, I'll probably go for the momentums.

Feb 24, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #12 of 98
Another possible option is NAD Viso HP50, Innerfidelity's Tyll seems to like it more compared to the momentum

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #14 of 98
Haha yeah as long as it doesn't freak out my Mom! A $300 pair itself is insane to her.

Tell her that some of our's are 10times more xD nah... Just let her listen to one of them, she will love you and make you your favorite dinner xP

From what I hear it's pretty much the same as the psb, the psb has slightly more bass. They're designed by the same guy. Didn't make my top pick but was close. Thanks though.

^+1 the NAD may look weird as well, just an additional info :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back