Sennheiser Momentum vs. PSB M4U1
Feb 25, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #16 of 98
Well, I ordered both. It wasn't too bad. I don't think my Mom understands the buying both still, but I convinced her it would work out fine and I will handle it. I'll update the thread soon with the free trial of amazon prime 2 day shipping!

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #18 of 98
Yeah, we'll see. I also just realized how easy burn in will be with the psb. I use my ipod and my phone for burn ins, but if I have to take my phone somewhere, I can plug the momentums into the psb!

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #19 of 98
Yeah, we'll see. I also just realized how easy burn in will be with the psb. I use my ipod and my phone for burn ins, but if I have to take my phone somewhere, I can plug the momentums into the psb!

Good thinking. I recommend using pink noise (http://simplynoise.com) too. You can probably run it off of wifi.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #20 of 98
Good thinking. I recommend using pink noise (http://simplynoise.com) too. You can probably run it off of wifi.

Yeah I've known of pink noise but does it really do any better? I usually just put it on shuffle for all songs that way they play on all ranges. And There are some songs with a lot of bass that will move the driver more. That's the way I think, but I don't know much about pink noise.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #22 of 98
Yeah I've known of pink noise but does it really do any better? I usually just put it on shuffle for all songs that way they play on all ranges. And There are some songs with a lot of bass that will move the driver more. That's the way I think, but I don't know much about pink noise.

I find that pink noise opens up the whole sound and tightens the bass. I like to use both music and pink noise. For music, I try to use something with a lot of different instruments, especially basses but also brass (e.g., a Mahler symphony).

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #24 of 98
  Alright, I downloaded some. The website you linked charged money though. It's 60 minutes but I just got a 10 second one and can have it on loop. 

Sorry, I didn't know they charged; I've always streamed on my laptop. I've had very good results with their pink noise. (I wasn't impressed with the effects of the white noise and even less the brown noise--whatever that is.)

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #25 of 98
I look forward to reading your comparisons. I bought the PSB M4U 1s and the SoundMAGIC HP100s at the same time to compare and then ended up sensing the HP100s back. I'm very happy with my PSBs and would choose them over the Momentums for their more neutral sound. But the Momentums are cooler looking and more comfortable if they fit well.

I don't know about the Momentums but the PSBs don't need much burn in at all. I like to listen to my headphones right out of the box anyway, so that I can pick up the differences along the way. Also, as your sellers return used items, you may well be receiving used items, so they may already be burned in.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #26 of 98
I look forward to reading your comparisons. I bought the PSB M4U 1s and the SoundMAGIC HP100s at the same time to compare and then ended up sensing the HP100s back. I'm very happy with my PSBs and would choose them over the Momentums for their more neutral sound. But the Momentums are cooler looking and more comfortable if they fit well.

I don't know about the Momentums but the PSBs don't need much burn in at all. I like to listen to my headphones right out of the box anyway, so that I can pick up the differences along the way. Also, as your sellers return used items, you may well be receiving used items, so they may already be burned in.

I'll try them out before burning in anyway. I can't wait! Usually when people open them, the product is marked "like new", but as long as they're in perfect condition.

In my reading, white noise is flat across the spectrum, but is hard on the treble (some people think it may be bad for the transducers). Pink noise slopes down a little, decreasing towards the treble, and brown is even more on the low end.

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #27 of 98
First impressions: sennheiser momentum:
Premium presentation. Very luxury. Very light and well designed. Ear cup size doesn't bother me, but my ears touch the drivers, which don't feel great on the ears. I will have to see for long term. Sound: definitely needs burning in. They just sound faded when listening to rock. These were said to be bassier, and I think the bass needs burning in for sure. They performed well with intricate sounds, but less with crazy rock punk smashing and you get the idea, instrumental separation need improvement. These definitely need a burn in, otherwise they are no bueno in sound.

Psb: also look great, but very simple presentation (but they didn't waste money on a box filled with high quality foam like the momentums.). They're big, heavier, but the weight isn't bothersome at all. You probably won't forget they're there, but I like them. Much more comfortable and the clamping pressure is perfect to me (others said it clamps really hard). They aren't as high quality materials, but I don't think it will be a problem. I like the initial sound much better. They sound like the way the music was meant to be heard, and everything just sounds right. People were being very modest on the bass. It's very punchy and doesn't mud up. In going to see how these headphones burn in and probably get some long term comfort tested.

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #30 of 98
Nice impressions. I find the bass in the PSBs very lacking without bass boost, but that could be down to my DACs. What source are you using? The PSBs are definitely capable of beautiful, deep bass though, and it stays very separate from the rest of the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back