Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Dec 2, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #871 of 3,594
Quote:

Actually, IMHO, if the bolded the criteria then the MDR-1R would win out. They feel more comfortable and secure over the head than the Momentums and the MDR-1Rs are true circumaural. I'd grant the Momentums to be more "common hi-fi" sound with it's somewhat U-shaped signature.

It really depends on the shape of your head. For me, the Sony felt much less comfortable and secure than the Momentum. They're also lighter than the MDR-1R. The Senn is one of the most comfie portable cans I've ever worn.

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #872 of 3,594
Quote:
So far, I have returned UE6000, 1R and P5 just kept Momentum and still waiting for m-100. For my ear, these headphones I returned may have more punchy bass, bigger sound stage, more forward vocal or more comfortable fit. But I significantly prefer the overall preference on Momentum. I listened so many different genes: rock, folk, alternative, jazz, vocal... Momentum is the best among all the portable headphones I have tried recently (there's a lot...) to handle all my tracks so well in general (It's not that fun in some rock tracks but certainly not bad. and I really really really enjoy these with my huge collections of folk music).  And it's so light so comfortable (not compared to Sony 1R which is the single most comfortable headphone I have ever tired on) and so easy to use. it‘s actually stealing a lot of my time with my home use HE500.
Still looking forward to m-100 though. sometimes I think I do need more bass when I'm in the noisy environment or for some heavy metal tracks.  And we'll see if I'm gonna to keep m-100 or not  in about three weeks (hope so...).

Quote:

Actually, IMHO, if the bolded the criteria then the MDR-1R would win out. They feel more comfortable and secure over the head than the Momentums and the MDR-1Rs are true circumaural. I'd grant the Momentums to be more "common hi-fi" sound with it's somewhat U-shaped signature.

Quote:

It really depends on the shape of your head. For me, the Sony felt much less comfortable and secure than the Momentum. They're also lighter than the MDR-R1. The Senn is one of the most comfie portable cans I've ever worn.

Wow dpipel, you snatched Momentum as well. How do you like the sound comparing to 1R?
I start feeling that MDR-R1 are some sort of transformer phones, sonically and physically.
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #873 of 3,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow dpipel, you snatched Momentum as well. How do you like the sound comparing to 1R?
I start feeling that MDR-R1 are some sort of transformer phones, sonically and physically.
biggrin.gif

After living with both for 2 weeks I ended up liking the Momentum better for several reasons, but I settled on the MDR-V6. The price-performance ratio was just too high to ignore. Now, if I can only do something the with absolutely abysmal cable!
blink.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #874 of 3,594
Quote:

It really depends on the shape of your head. For me, the Sony felt much less comfortable and secure than the Momentum. They're also lighter than the MDR-1R. The Senn is one of the most comfie portable cans I've ever worn.

Yes that is a good point. For me the the 1Rs held more due to their true circumaural for my ears. The Momentums were less secure cos of their pseudo circumaural (supra-aural for me).

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #876 of 3,594

Agree that the R1 is more comfortable. However, I don't find the momentum to have a U-shape sound signature. In fact, it's highs is rolled off and it's mids is not recessed. Think the measurement confirms that as well.

On a side note, why do we hear differently? :)

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #877 of 3,594
Agree that the R1 is more comfortable. However, I don't find the momentum to have a U-shape sound signature. In fact, it's highs is rolled off and it's mids is not recessed. Think the measurement confirms that as well.

On a side note, why do we hear differently? :)

When did you last clean your ears?? Jk Jk :wink:!!

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #878 of 3,594
I'm torn between the sennheiser momentum and v-moda m-100 for general purpose headphone. What do you guys think? I listen to mostly pop, r&b, and acoustic music. Thanks for your input in advance!

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #879 of 3,594
I'm torn between the sennheiser momentum and v-moda m-100 for general purpose headphone. What do you guys think? I listen to mostly pop, r&b, and acoustic music. Thanks for your input in advance!

Momentum. Love the slightly emphasized bass and most comfortable headphones ever. You'll forget you are wearing them. Plus they have that old school look that no other headphones can match.

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #880 of 3,594
Quote:
Is the Momentum a good headphone for dance music like house, techno, dubstep, etc. or should I pick the Fidelio L1 or something else? In the Netherlands, I can pick these two headphone for both 150 euros, so I can save a lot of money.

Excuse for my English, is not so good :)

I owned them both, though I did not use the L1 outside. IMO the Momentum is less dark and has the overall more enjoyable sound signature. It fits said EDM genres very well.

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #882 of 3,594
Quote:
Agree that the R1 is more comfortable. However, I don't find the momentum to have a U-shape sound signature. In fact, it's highs is rolled off and it's mids is not recessed. 

Agreed - I found the Sony MDR1 to be more U-shaped in signature. Not a bad thing though - just a slightly different flavour. I wish I could own both $_$

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #883 of 3,594
I
Good reminder. It is arguably the best way to increase the SQ of your rig at virtually zero cost (except for that of the ear cotton bud) :bigsmile_face:

I've heard in several different threads across the webs that the Momentums sound different whether they fit as around the ear or on the ear. Basically, the best "ear position" for these are when your ear barely fits in snug. Reportedly when this happens, the bass sounds much better to some people. And the rest (mids and treble) sound slightly better. I can't really seem to think of why this is, unless the speakers in each ear are "focused" to a certain point away from the speakers, so the smaller eared people get the focus and the bigger eared people get the muddier sound. Kind of like focusing a beam of light.

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #884 of 3,594
I think that might have something to do with how much of the textile interior of the pads is not covered by your ears: when the pads sit on your ears the inner ring (the part which is not leather) is exposed and leads to more upper bass with less treble. Unfortunately I could not deduct from Tylls review whether his ears were completely in the cups or not.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #885 of 3,594
I think that might have something to do with how much of the textile interior of the pads is not covered by your ears: when the pads sit on your ears the inner ring (the part which is not leather) is exposed and leads to more upper bass with less treble. Unfortunately I could not deduct from Tylls review whether his ears were completely in the cups or not.

Which is EXACTLY what I've been complaining about (well more annoyed)in my short time in this forum. People should list their ear size and type of music. I've read other threads on different headphones too and the people with larger ears always feel as if there is a different sound compared to the smaller eared. This usually brings up arguments in those threads that don't need to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back