Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Dec 1, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #841 of 3,594
Any momentum come across this problem with their headphone jack?
Before

After

Pretty disappointed considering I've babied these cans since September. I always grab the metal jack when I unplug and this eventually happened. Considering how much they cost it kind of got under my skin a little.
They still work fine though.

Oh wow. No, nothing like that on mine. Though I'll try to be more careful now.

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #842 of 3,594
Any momentum come across this problem with their headphone jack?
Before

After

Pretty disappointed considering I've babied these cans since September. I always grab the metal jack when I unplug and this eventually happened. Considering how much they cost it kind of got under my skin a little.
They still work fine though.

Didn't have any issue with the pair I had. I'm sure Sennheiser will just send you out a new cable at no charge though. I guess we'll have to see if this becomes an issue, though so far you appear to be the only one.

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #844 of 3,594
So Tyll reviewed these at innerfidelity and really, really liked them.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-adult-sennheiser-momentum

"The Sennheiser Momentum is going up on the "Wall of Fame" as the best sealed headphone for general purpose uses."

And there's a new set of measurements to review for anyone interested in that (like me)

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #845 of 3,594
Quote:
"The Sennheiser Momentum is going up on the "Wall of Fame" as the best sealed headphone for general purpose uses."
And there's a new set of measurements to review for anyone interested in that (like me)

Surprisingly good measurements!

Very linear from bass all the way to 2kHz. Treble is shelved down though consistently flat (a bit like a dimmer LCD2r2 in FR). 30Hz square wave is nice and square indicating great extension though very slightly loose compared to planars but not by much at all, 300 Hz seems nice too. Nothing seems off about the THD and the impulse response is very quick indeed. Now barring a CSD measurement to seal the deal, these seem to be objectively very potent closed headphones.

Edit: in fact they are definitely the best-measuring closed full-sized headphones on InnerFidelity from the looks of it. Everything checks out. The only thing in question really is how well-behaved the treble is; the only information is from the FR but not much can be said until a full-blown CSD waterfall plot is done.

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #846 of 3,594
Dec 1, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #847 of 3,594
So far, I have returned UE6000, 1R and P5 just kept Momentum and still waiting for m-100. For my ear, these headphones I returned may have more punchy bass, bigger sound stage, more forward vocal or more comfortable fit. But I significantly prefer the overall preference on Momentum. I listened so many different genes: rock, folk, alternative, jazz, vocal... Momentum is the best among all the portable headphones I have tried recently (there's a lot...) to handle all my tracks so well in general (It's not that fun in some rock tracks but certainly not bad. and I really really really enjoy these with my huge collections of folk music).  And it's so light so comfortable (not compared to Sony 1R which is the single most comfortable headphone I have ever tired on) and so easy to use. it‘s actually stealing a lot of my time with my home use HE500.
Still looking forward to m-100 though. sometimes I think I do need more bass when I'm in the noisy environment or for some heavy metal tracks.  And we'll see if I'm gonna to keep m-100 or not  in about three weeks (hope so...).

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #848 of 3,594
Quote:

!!! I wonder if he's sampled the Signature DJ's when he decided on that!!

I sold my Momentums but recently heard them again in the Apple store in Perth. Maybe I should have kept mine for a longer term listen. I do remember that at least for me, I felt they sounded congested though.

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #849 of 3,594
The timing of Tyl's review is interesting given that I just pulled these back out a couple days ago and decided to give them another chance.  I purchased them when they were released and did let them burn in for about 10 hours before deciding that they were good, but not as much so as the PSB M4U2 I've been rocking for a few months.  I also got the M100 recently as well and still the PSB in active mode were my preferred headphone.

I pulled the Momentum and the M100 out a couple days ago and decided to give them both more burn in time, so they've both got close to 60 hours on them now.  Oddly enough, the M100 didn't change all that much with the extra burn in, I still enjoy it alot but still think the PSB is the better headphone overall even though I like the styling and fit of the M100 better.

The Momentum was a different story though, they're like a completely different set of cans now.  One thing I will say is that on the first go around I had some bad sinus issues, but those same issues were there when listening to the PSB as well, and even with all that I CLEARLY preferred the PSB.  Fast forward to today when I got some time to listen to them post burn-in, and these Momentums are absolutely spectacular.

I've spent the better part of the evening switching back and forth, and honestly think I prefer the Senns over the PSB.  They're very different cans, and my preference is not by a mile, but overall I think I like the Momentum better.  Compared to the Senns the PSBs do sound a little forward, they're not bright by any means but are a tad more forward in their presentation.  It's odd, but these two cans sound completely different, and yet both sound so good, and further still my preference of one or the other is not by much.

I suppose if I were forced to chose I'd go with the Senns, but thankfully I don't.

Basically, I agree with everything that Tyll said in his review.  I don't think I have the experience and have listened to enough cans to say how good these are in the grand scheme of things, but these are VERY good and right now are one of my favorite headphones.

So I guess I'm not really adding anything new here, just repeating what some have said already, these are some really great cans.

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #850 of 3,594
You guys who got these but sold/returned them, or auditioned but hated them, don't need to be swayed by reviews even if they are from someone reputable like Tyll, your subjective hearing is ultimately what that determines if a pair of headphones sound good or not, to you.

The only possible reason why you want to be swayed is if you were pre-conceived that these were terrible when you got them, so there was a negative bias when you auditioned or listened to them.

Dec 2, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #851 of 3,594
Quote:
You guys who got these but sold/returned them, or auditioned but hated them, don't need to be swayed by reviews even if they are from someone reputable like Tyll, your subjective hearing is ultimately what that determines if a pair of headphones sound good or not, to you.

The only possible reason why you want to be swayed is if you were pre-conceived that these were terrible when you got them, so there was a negative bias when you auditioned or listened to them.

I didn't feel they were as bad as how others have described it here, in the MDR-1R, or M-100 thread. However I did feel they were congested sounding. I just wonder if I didn't give them enough time.

The graphs don't seem to show the somewhat loose bass I heard though. Where is that?

Personally for me, if I'm looking for my isolating closed back end-game headphone, it'll be the Ultrasone Signature DJ or Signature Pro (if I can get hold of a properly working one). But the Momentum's weight and design is quite appealing.

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #852 of 3,594
Good point jerg, and I should note that I'm not always on the same page as Tyll. He generally seems to like a more laid back sound than I do so on some headphones that causes a difference of opinion.

I'm with him 100% on this one though, same applies to his M100 review.

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #853 of 3,594
Now, I enjoy reading Tyll's reviews, but this review is hard to take seriously. Better bass than the HD800? When I had the Momentum I directly compared these to the Hd800s off the same amp (a lowly Matrix m-stage) and it was no contest. The Hd800 bass is infinitely more layered, textured and resolving even with a significant 10 db eq boost in the sub bass. The Momentum is bloated in the upper bass-mid bass region which drowns out much of the subbass and has a dull, fuzzy sound overall. It is NOT better than the stock hd-25, let alone comparable to a full size open headphone of HD600 class or above.

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #854 of 3,594
Quote:
When I had the Momentum I directly compared these to the Hd800s off the same amp (a lowly Matrix m-stage) and it was no contest. The Hd800 bass is infinitely more layered, textured and resolving even with a significant 10 db eq boost in the sub bass. The Momentum is bloated in the upper bass-mid bass region which drowns out much of the subbass and has a dull, fuzzy sound overall. It is NOT better than the stock hd-25, let alone comparable to a full size open headphone of HD600 class or above.

I wouldn't be surprised by your findings. The Matrix M-Stage has an output impedance of 5ohms and the Momentum pairs very poorly with it (I can confirm that). The HD800, HD600, HD-25 and other higher impedance headphones will sound much better with the M-Stage.

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #855 of 3,594
Quote:
Now, I enjoy reading Tyll's reviews, but this review is hard to take seriously. Better bass than the HD800? When I had the Momentum I directly compared these to the Hd800s off the same amp (a lowly Matrix m-stage) and it was no contest. The Hd800 bass is infinitely more layered, textured and resolving even with a significant 10 db eq boost in the sub bass. The Momentum is bloated in the upper bass-mid bass region which drowns out much of the subbass and has a dull, fuzzy sound overall. It is NOT better than the stock hd-25, let alone comparable to a full size open headphone of HD600 class or above.

hmm, I wonder if Tyll meant to say that. I wonder if he meant to say that it has better bass than the HD600 (which I would agree with) but not the HD800 (I'm with you on that one, no doubt)

As for the HD 25, those are just too V shaped in FR for my taste. The momentum have much better bass extension, less grain to the sound overall, and don't have the peaky treble of the HD 25. I wouldn't call the Momentum dull or fuzzy - even on my M-stage. I'd characterize them as a cleaner sounding HD650. better bass extension, similar FR, but smaller soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back