Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Nov 28, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #811 of 3,594
These actually sound rather nice straight from a iPod or iPhone. If you was going to get an amp then yes the Pico would be a lot better than the Fiio but also more expensive. The Pico i have not tried with the momentum but i can see a good synergy between the two as Pico is rather neutral, extremely transparent and slightly bright which will overall help the momemtnum and not hind its laid back treble!

The Pico amp is warm sounding. Pico slim is the one that is neutral and slightly bright sounding.

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #812 of 3,594
Quote:
The Pico amp is warm sounding. Pico slim is the one that is neutral and slightly bright sounding.

You've got it backwards according to my ears.

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #813 of 3,594
Quote:

Oops, sorry my mistake, yes i was referring to the Pico slim, i have not tried the Pico. Editing post now!

I certainly agree about the Pico slim, neutral refined and slightly bright!

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #814 of 3,594
Well I can get the pico slim for $270 (used, 7 months old) is that a good deal and would there be a very noticeable difference? I don't mean to keep asking the same question in different ways, I just wanna make sure the benefits would justify the price. I would be using with Low Rider LOD from Alo Audio.

Thanks again everybody!

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #816 of 3,594
Got mine from Drew at Moon Audio early on. Matched them with the DragonFly from my laptop.

Replaced DACPort and AT ESW10JPN.

DragonFly clearly a better Dac/Amp. While the AT excels at the high end, the midrange,mid bass, and bass are much smoother from the Senn.

As well, the Momentum is more comfortable to me. With the rotating ear parts, the case for the AT cans is half the size of the Momentum case, although it had to be purchased separately.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #817 of 3,594
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Oops, sorry my mistake, yes i was referring to the Pico slim, i have not tried the Pico. Editing post now!

I certainly agree about the Pico slim, neutral refined and slightly bright!

I found the Pico Slim to have slightly warmer and more inviting mids than my original Pico. I think the treble was about the same between the two - I owned and compared both for a few months before I sold the original.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #818 of 3,594
Quote:

I found the Pico Slim to have slightly warmer and more inviting mids than my original Pico. I think the treble was about the same between the two - I owned and compared both for a few months before I sold the original.

I've been following this part of the thread with interest, and would love to hear any impressions of those who have tried the Momentum with a portable amp.  I would love an amp that tightened up (read: toned down) the bass and perhaps brought out the mids more.  I realize that an amp cannot change the original nature of a headphone, and that any changes likely would be relatively marginal, but if there are some amps to which the Momentum responds very well, that would be great to know. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #823 of 3,594
Quote:
I've been following this part of the thread with interest, and would love to hear any impressions of those who have tried the Momentum with a portable amp.  I would love an amp that tightened up (read: toned down) the bass and perhaps brought out the mids more.  I realize that an amp cannot change the original nature of a headphone, and that any changes likely would be relatively marginal, but if there are some amps to which the Momentum responds very well, that would be great to know. 

I tried the Momentum at RMAF 2012 with my iPod Nano 5th Gen > TWag LOD > Pico Slim.  The bass was pretty strong and tight, but I don't think it brought out the mids as they seemed to still fall below the levels of bass and treble.  Changing the source to the iPod Nano 6th Gen seemed to help more (still with Pico Slim).  I didn't try them un-amped, but the main area where the Nano's offer less bass than the Slim is in the 40Hz and below range, so I don't think anything was being "toned down".  I think my RSA SR-71b might have been a better match for the Momentum's bass and mids, and I regret that I didn't have more time to try it, but I waited until closing time on the last day to audition them.

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #824 of 3,594
Quote:
What happens if you compare the Momentum with the Mad Dog??

Mad Dogs have more even FR - a bit more treble and upper mids presence than the Momentum. Soundstage is also a bit larger. There's more bass kick, too. But the Mad Dogs need a powerful amp to sound the way they should while the Momentum sound very good straight from an iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back