Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Nov 24, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #782 of 3,594
Quote:
Has anyone found any discounts on these headphones?

They're still too new to have any discounts. 
I'm pretty sure there are agreements/laws with companies that state that new products must be sold at full price for at least [insert time period - example '3 months'] before any discounts may be made by any shop.

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #785 of 3,594
Hi!

I have a pair of these amazing headphones and I am wondering to buy Fiio E11 for them. What do you think about it? Maybe the other one? It would be great to put the amp to the notebook.
I use an iPod 4/iPhone 4S as my portable stuff.
Thanks in advance.

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #786 of 3,594
Quote:
Hi!

I have a pair of these amazing headphones and I am wondering to buy Fiio E11 for them. What do you think about it? Maybe the other one? It would be great to put the amp to the notebook.
I use an iPod 4/iPhone 4S as my portable stuff.
Thanks in advance.

You don't need ANY additional amps for this headphone!

That's the whole point of these headphones - portability and ability to run optimally off iDevices.

You will probably make it sound worse given signal/noise ratios with extra cabling and other factors.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #787 of 3,594
Thanks! It's a good news for my wallet! :wink: Besides, I hear a strong difference between portable stuff and my notebook - maybe PC amp would be a good solution for me? Which Fiio would be good for notebook and Momentum? From iPod ALAC music sounds fantastic but from PC it's weak, less detailed and softer.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #788 of 3,594
Quote:
Thanks! It's a good news for my wallet! :wink: Besides, I hear a strong difference between portable stuff and my notebook - maybe PC amp would be a good solution for me? Which Fiio would be good for notebook and Momentum? From iPod ALAC music sounds fantastic but from PC it's weak, less detailed and softer.

Nothing to do with amp at all.

Difference probably arising as a result of different media players and Equalization and sound settings, nothing more.

But it seems you are really adamant on buying an amp for some reason so I suggest just buy the most EXPENSIVE amp on the market. :wink:

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #789 of 3,594
Quote:
Nothing to do with amp at all.

Difference probably arising as a result of different media players and Equalization and sound settings, nothing more.

But it seems you are really adamant on buying an amp for some reason so I suggest just buy the most EXPENSIVE amp on the market. :wink:

There are more to it than the general statement that 'nothing to do with amp at all'.

Output current, impedance, noise floor and etc will affect the performance of any headphones/earphones. These are the limitations due to hardware. The Momentum does not need any special amp to sound great. However, they do benefit from a proper and competent output device. Some laptop are known to be noisy in their headphone jack and a simple USB/AMP would help.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #790 of 3,594
If you use the same music files and play them with something like iTunes without any EQ the differences between the iPod and your notebook are likely due to cheap DAC and analog components in your notebook, so buying a small external USB soundcard with a decent headphone out might help in that case. Using just an amp fed by your notebooks lineout/headphone out won't solve that problem.

For use with your notebook only you can take a look at the Fiio E10 while for portable use the E17 might be interesting.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #791 of 3,594
Quote:

There are more to it than the general statement that 'nothing to do with amp at all'.

Output current, impedance, noise floor and etc will affect the performance of any headphones/earphones. These are the limitations due to hardware. The Momentum does not need any special amp to sound great. However, they do benefit from a proper and competent output device. Some laptop are known to be noisy in their headphone jack and a simple USB/AMP would help.

Hey bud,

No I wasn't making a general statement but a specific one for this specific context.

I don't know of any laptop that cannot drive and 18ohm headphone and I did consider that one of the issues with some older laptops are noise interference that results in a distinct "hiss" in the background. The sound however was described as "less detailed and softer" which infers something else. For my laptops it seems manufacturers have by and large dealt with the "hiss" problem for audio jacks. Was highly common 10 years ago though.

So, if he doesn't have the "hiss" he doesn't need a USB DAC or AMP but simply needs to configure the software.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #794 of 3,594
I have received mine and have done a quick look / unboxing. It is rushed because i just wanted to get them on my ears heheh. I was quite restless and these are beautiful. Sound wise i will let them have a night burning in and so i miss any real honeymoon opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back