Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Oct 10, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #407 of 3,594
Quote:
Despite your praise at the end for the Momentum, I would suggest that based on terminology, and actual product, the Momentums are still circumaural. They do envelop the whole ear. I don't know of anyone who tried the Momentums who can't get their ears in.

http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/What-are-supra-aural-headphones

Here's where I think we disagree. Enveloping the whole ear is vague. I believe the operative words being on vs in.

Based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphones and other definitions I've read, I've always interpreted that circumaural cups mean that the entire ear sits inside the earcup where the earpads (mostly) rest on the skull and upper jawbone. Whereas for supra-aural the earpads actually rest on the ear itself (helix all the way down to the lobule; or even if it's smaller resting on the scaphoid fossa, anti helix, anti tragus, etc.).

As such at least for me, I'll stand by my opinion that the Momentums are really more supra-aural in design, despite what their marketing says.

I don't think I'm the only one who couldn't get my entire ears into the Momentums 'cos I thought quite a few of those Head-Fi members who did sell their Momentums in the For Sale section didn't have their ears sit in their earcups. If I fold my helix and lobule, then yes it would fit into the earcup. But I'm sure sonically it'll change.

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #408 of 3,594
Oct 10, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #410 of 3,594
UPS just dropped mine off... Initial impression, this is what bass heavy hp's sounds like? :rolleyes: inter DT 990 or the DT 770 or the P5's in my possession. They sound great but please people STOP with bass heavy statements! They do punch but they do not rumble, at least not ATM.

That out of they way, to me they sound like Sennheiser's like my HD 598's with a little more lower end and not as clinical but definitely from the same gene pool. I really like them so far but I'll chime in a bit later tomorrow after a little more playtime.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #411 of 3,594
UPS just dropped mine off... Initial impression, this is what bass heavy hp's sounds like? :rolleyes: inter DT 990 or the DT 770 or the P5's in my possession. They sound great but please people STOP with bass heavy statements! They do punch but they do not rumble, at least not ATM.
That out of they way, to me they sound like Sennheiser's like my HD 598's with a little more lower end and not as clinical but definitely from the same gene pool. I really like them so far but I'll chime in a bit later tomorrow after a little more playtime.

To each their own, but the HD598 and other open Sennheisers, have a completely different sound signature. I have called the Momentum bass-heavy, but I will admit I have an aversion to emphasized bass and may have exaggerated this a little bit. That said, they are certainly not neutral.

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #414 of 3,594
I got these today at a local Apple reseller in the Netherlands.

My headphones history is open circumaural (Sennheiser HD 570, and red anniversary-edition HD 595) for many years, and got this one mostly for on the go / office listening. First impression after cranking up the volume was: "wow, I got my bass back!". When I went from HD 570 to HD 595, I immediately noticed the laid back lows on the 595 which I now realize I've never really gotten used to, but also a very clear mid range which sounded a bit distant and muddy to me on the 570 in comparison. The Momentum feels like it has both this pronounced bass and mid-range clearness in one package, without the bass drowning the rest (which is my common complaint with closed headphones), at the loss of some sound stage width which is inherent to the closed design.
I mostly listen EDM with my fair share of pop/rock/classical mixed inbetween, and I really like the bass signature of the MOMENTUM for this... however for classical I still prefer my HD 595 very much because of the wide stage that the open cups provide. 

For comfort, the cups appeared smaller than I expected, but they fit well around my ears without much clamping which I have with a lot of other closed headphones I tried on. So far, no complaints after wearing it a couple of hours.
The design is gorgeous, most of other portables look like plastic child's toys compared to this one. This dark brow leather / metal / minimalist combination gives it a very luxurious look. For instance, I would not even consider a model like the Amperior as a portable purely from its looks... but I guess this is a bit subjective.

Build quality is good, very sturdy compared to my plastic HD models which tend to make a crackling sound whenever you handle them. However, I feel that the MOMENTUM could improve on wire thickness. Compared to the kevlar reinforced wires on my open models it just looks a bit thin and fragile, and especially for on the go models it should be able to survive a little stress. I'm afraid it will break too quickly if you make a wrong move, which will happen sooner or later in my experience 
blink.gif

Conclusion: a quite expensive, but very sexy portable if you have a preference for a little more pronounced bass. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #417 of 3,594
Ok, I have been listening since 6 a.m PST (roughly 8 hours non stop) plugged directly into my iMac (no amping yet). Ok there is more bass then originally detected, but just the right amount for someone like me. Very versatile, no ear fatigue, still sound like Sennheisers or what I imagine the DT880 might sound like...

But (JUST MY OPINION) its like if Momma Beyer and Daddy Senn where out drinking late one night, ran into each other in a dirty German disco tech... Daddy was like... You have a fat bottom end and I can't stand your shrillness. And Momma was like... You better get your vocals outta my face! Some hair puling, angry kissing and BOOM MOMENTUM!!! 

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #418 of 3,594
Quote:
Sennheiser direct?  I believe they are available for purchase on their web site.

Hmm I wonder if its a location thing but whenever I click on 'shop' I keep getting redirected. (tried on us/german site) Canadian site for Senn doesn't list Momentum.

Try razordogdeals, that's where I got mine. I'm in USA though, so that might not help...

Ugh I bought from that guy once, got no support from him when I asked for help regarding a defective phone.

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #419 of 3,594
Quote:
Ok, I have been listening since 6 a.m PST (roughly 8 hours non stop) plugged directly into my iMac (no amping yet). Ok there is more bass then originally detected, but just the right amount for someone like me. Very versatile, no ear fatigue, still sound like Sennheisers or what I imagine the DT880 might sound like...

But (JUST MY OPINION) its like if Momma Beyer and Daddy Senn where out drinking late one night, ran into each other in a dirty German disco tech... Daddy was like... You have a fat bottom end and I can't stand your shrillness. And Momma was like... You better get your vocals outta my face! Some hair puling, angry kissing and BOOM MOMENTUM!!! 

I don't quite agree as I think high end and vocals are well represented in the momentum but I'll +1 for originality!

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #420 of 3,594
Quote:

Here's where I think we disagree. Enveloping the whole ear is vague. I believe the operative words being on vs in.

Based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphones and other definitions I've read, I've always interpreted that circumaural cups mean that the entire ear sits inside the earcup where the earpads (mostly) rest on the skull and upper jawbone. Whereas for supra-aural the earpads actually rest on the ear itself (helix all the way down to the lobule; or even if it's smaller resting on the scaphoid fossa, anti helix, anti tragus, etc.).

As such at least for me, I'll stand by my opinion that the Momentums are really more supra-aural in design, despite what their marketing says.

I don't think I'm the only one who couldn't get my entire ears into the Momentums 'cos I thought quite a few of those Head-Fi members who did sell their Momentums in the For Sale section didn't have their ears sit in their earcups. If I fold my helix and lobule, then yes it would fit into the earcup. But I'm sure sonically it'll change.

I disagree, for you they just don't fit.  The design is circumaural.  I've worn circs that were way too large on my head/ear, not that it effected the sound but it does effect the comfort and portability.  Would it be nice for companies to offer different sized cans...yes, but if I had my ears cut off (pinna & lobule) I wouldn't go labeling all headphones circumaurals just because they fit around my external auditory canal.

Criticize the Momentums for not fitting your ear but they are designed to be circumaurals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back