Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Dec 27, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #3,256 of 3,671
I have the V-Moda M100 and enjoy everything about them except I feel they lack in the midrange department and somewhat in isolation and comfort. Also owned the ATH M50 and felt they were pretty similar in sound but more uncomfortable. I'm looking for something with close to the same bass reproduction (SLIGHTLY less impact but same or more texture/detail would suffice). How do the M2s compare to the M100s in these regards and in tone/imaging? I'm struggling to find a headphone that is just blissful to listen to. The M100s seem a little lifeless but cant put my finger on whether it's source related or tone related (I listen to 320 kb/s or lossless). Portability and all-around use is important to me so I want a pair of headphones that reach 90+% of their potential when run without an external DAC or amp; so low impedance/high sensitivity is a must.

Tried the BD COP+ but they're so heavy and big and the sound seems fatiguing to my ears, not sure why.

Also considering the NAD HP50. Anyone have direct comparisons here?

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #3,257 of 3,671
Got myself a pair Momentum wireless headphones recently but struggling to get them to work with my computer --- audio out from phone worked flawlessly though, also wire connected to PC. Are there any specific bluetooth USB dongles that are recommended for use with these headphones and Win7 PCs? The one I have is a Belkin 4.0 dongle, which works with my phone and keyboard and actually pairs and connects just fine to my headphones but I still cannot see these headphones in the sounds menu where audio devices are shown ---
The headphones are listed as "Momentum M2 AEBT" under "Devices and Printers" but the only bluetooth related devices under the sounds menu are "Bluetooth Headphones" and "Bluetooth Headset" which both list as "disconnected" (and a red arrow alongside both devices) and trying to "enable" or connect" any of these two simply does nothing. Re- pairing the set makes no difference either --- any suggestions?

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #3,258 of 3,671
Try turning off the bluetooth on your phone to begin with, then turn off the headphones, and finally disable the bluetooth on your computer.  Once everything is turned off, turn the computer's BT back on and wait for it to re-initialize.  Turning the computer's BT off and back on seems (for me anyway) to reset all the audio hooks.  Go in to the computer's BT settings and delete the M2 device so it can be found again.  Once deleted, turn your headphones back on and force it to search and re-pair with the computer.  It seems to take forever for them to pair but wait it out until the computer sees them again and discovers them by their correct name.  On my Win7 Pro boxes, the headphones will be found and then you have to go through the excruciating ordeal of windoze screw-up, er, Update, find all the drivers.  I believe it found 6 different drivers to install and failed on the last two.  Those failures are functionality that apparently only phones have.  Anyway it should successfully complete installation of everything else. When I go into to the bluetooth devices and double-click on my headphones, I have two "Supported Audio Services" - "hands-free headset with microphone" and "stereo headphones".  That seems to be good enough to get me going.  I get the basic functionality of pause/resume and next/previous song (I think - the last two seem to be hit or miss).

The keys for me to get both these and my PXC 550's working on my computer are to first disable the BT on my phone and to disable/re-enable the BT on the computer.  While the headphones will work with BT enabled on the phone and computer, I've found that if the phone gets an email, I hear that, but then the music that was coming from the computer has stopped because the connection was broken.  I then have to disable BT on both systems, turn on the computer's BT ONLY, and then manually re-pair on the computer side.  If I haven't used the phones on the computer in a couple days (I shut my home system down when I'm at work), I find that they won't pair and trying to get them to connect manually doesn't work either.  I found I have to disable and re-enable the computer's BT and then they connect up - sometimes I have to do it manually the first time, but turning the headphones off and on afterwards will see them pair automatically.

I've searched for APTX drivers for the computer (to get rid of the annoying driver errors shown in the Device Mangler) and have found some, but they wouldn't install on my two Dell systems, saying newer drivers are already installed.  Even searching Dell for new drivers came up empty.  And for what it's worth, I bought a cheapo USB BT dongle off of Amazon for my work computer and my home system has BT built-in.  Sennheiser has a dongle on Amazon for something like $50 but I don't think it will get you any extra functionality, so I wouldn't waste your money.

Good luck!  I don't understand why all this USB/BT connectivity has to be such a pain in the arse.  It's touted as being so easy to use.  Yeah, if you're lucky on the first shot, great!  But if it breaks, you're screwed!
confused_face.gif

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #3,259 of 3,671
Appreciate the suggestions! I don't think my phones bt is the problem here though as I hardly ever have it turned on, incl. when I've been struggling with the Sennheiser headphone bt connectivity issue. I tried it with my Lenovo  laptop yesterday though and it worked like a charm --- for all the benefits of a stationary PC it's really crazy how all the inherent variables tend to complicate things such as this over and over again. I freely admit I did not do enough research this time around as I have been struggling with BT connectivity (PC) before and these are issues I've never had using for example my old HDR 180s or any of the Logitech wireless solutions, all non-bt ...

Yes, BT drives me maaad.

Anyway, I've buckled and went ahead and ordered the BTD 800 Sennheiser dongle --- really hope it turns out to be a match, I see a lot of satisfied Sennheiser Momentum owners saying they work nicely together at least. Sennheiser's own customer service did not have a clue as to what would be compatible with their product, incredibly frustrating to say the least when you consider the price tag of this product... would it really be that hard to have a list that outlines compatibility in general terms? Even if just to give customers struggling with their product a helping nudge in the right direction... at least it would show some effort on their part. That said, I really do like Sennheiser and these headphones tick about all the right boxes for me, I just wish BT in general wasn't such hell to deal with in cases like this.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #3,260 of 3,671
Oh yes, perhaps I should mention that I also had trouble installing one of the drivers during the pairing process--- the culprit was "BT peripheral device" and it said that the driver could not be located. After searching online I found a fix that at least appeared to fix my problems in part, as before this driver was installed I could not even get the headphones in "connected" mode.... but when they still appear as "disconnected" in the sounds menu it didn't really help all that much... it was a step in the right direction though. Still stuck, hoping the BTD800 will fix this.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #3,261 of 3,671
I'm really curious of Senn's dongle will help and please post your results, because if it does work, I'd very likely get one for my lab computer at work.  I hear ya about Senn's customer service.  I've found MUCH more useful information from random Net searches than they provided me.  Specifically, I emailed them about the fact their BT headphones, both Momentum and PXC, would not pair correctly (ie. completely) with Win7 boxes.  After sending that, I did another search and found an article saying essentially "tough luck, deal with it".  Well, a couple days go by and I get a reply from Sennheiser who quoted me verbatim the article I found earlier!  They didn't even spend the 30 seconds to paraphrase it.  Lazy.  I've spent a few years of my professional life in Customer Service and even if 19 customers out of 20 asked the same question, I wouldn't copy/paste the answer.

Anyway, good luck and hope you get things working!
redface.gif

Jan 1, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #3,262 of 3,671
After weeks of deliberation and not finding a wireless headphone that fits all my uses, I've come to considering the option of selling my beloved wired headphones to justify going all-wireless with two or three pairs of wireless headphones. The freedom is absolutely worth it, even just sitting at my desk I've now grown to hate having a wire.

While I haven't heard the Momentum 2.0 yet, I've been considering the following lineup:

1. Momentum 2.0 for home office use/critical (not flat) listening/comfort hopefully
  2. Beats Solo3 for portable & gym use/fun sound signature/40+ hours of battery life
  3. V-MODA Forza Metallo Wireless for runs/podcasts/calls

Just hoping listening to AAC I'll be satisfied with the Momentum 2.0's sound. Seems like it should suffice, but I also have some qualms that the Solo3 will sound better with AAC since it natively supports the codec while the Momentum 2.0 doesn't.

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #3,263 of 3,671
Hi,

Try to insert the jack plug into the M2 Wireless, while they are turned on, after 10-15 seconds remove the Jackplug.  

Jackplug inside the M2 Wireless has a BT radio On/Off function (Flightmode) and this switch can if it is dirty hang.  You might need to perform this multiple times. 

Try to bring it into Paring mode again and see if it helps. 

See Post:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/749606/sennheiser-momentum-2-0-and-wireless/2820#post_12528525

Cheers
Flemming Bach Andreasen

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #3,266 of 3,671
  I'm really curious of Senn's dongle will help and please post your results, because if it does work, I'd very likely get one for my lab computer at work.  I hear ya about Senn's customer service.  I've found MUCH more useful information from random Net searches than they provided me.  Specifically, I emailed them about the fact their BT headphones, both Momentum and PXC, would not pair correctly (ie. completely) with Win7 boxes.  After sending that, I did another search and found an article saying essentially "tough luck, deal with it".  Well, a couple days go by and I get a reply from Sennheiser who quoted me verbatim the article I found earlier!  They didn't even spend the 30 seconds to paraphrase it.  Lazy.  I've spent a few years of my professional life in Customer Service and even if 19 customers out of 20 asked the same question, I wouldn't copy/paste the answer.

Anyway, good luck and hope you get things working!

Good news: The BTD800 works nicely right out of the box with the Momentum 2.0 wireless headphones! Again, my OS is Win7 64 Home Premium for those that are possibly going through the same issues... the Belkin 4.0 BT dongle I was trying to use before did NOT work for sending audio out to these headphones.
Yes, it almost connected immediately after being set in pairing mode--- oddly enough the BTD800 is listed under "Unspecified" in "Devices and printers" and the headphones aren't listed there at all (like before), only under the "Sounds" menu as "Headset Earphone BTD 800", so it appears that, for the lack of a better way of phrasing it, both the Momentum headphones and the dongle list as one entity, namely the Sennheiser BTD800. No matter, it works and that's the whole point... only too bad Sennheiser can't be bothered making more of an effort with regards to compatibility and AT LEAST try t make  PC users aware that they may end up having to buy another of their products to have these headphones work as they should.

Only downside here appears to be that the BTD800 does not pick up the bt signal from my bt Logitech keyboard, which probably means I will have to reconnect the Belkin 4.0 dongle to have that one work as well... I guess the BTD800 might be headset/audio specific. Just hope connecting the Belkin and have it working alongside the BTD800 won't screw up the headphone connectivity...

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #3,267 of 3,671
Glad to hear the Senn dongle works and hope you find both of them will work together!

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #3,268 of 3,671
Got my Momentum 2 today... am kinda disappointed honestly. Is it normal for it to feeling like its lacking bass? The mids are def kinda recessed but the highs are there.
I have listened to purely IEMs and HD598 (open headphone) for the past 2 years, so the closed experience is definitely a life changer...

I also have the QC25 which seems to sound more bassey and easy to listen to as a result.

Should I just listen to it over the next few days? Get used to it? I had the HD598c (the closed one) a month ago and it really sucked for sure, recessed everything compared to open HD598. This momentum 2.0 is def. an improvement but are closed headphones like this?

Like I am listening to some songs off my iPhone and some vocals definitely sound tinny... worried here :frowning2:

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #3,269 of 3,671
I can't say that mine are lacking bass.  I don't use EQ and am not a bass-head, but I'm happy with them playing my music.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #3,270 of 3,671
  Got my Momentum 2 today... am kinda disappointed honestly. Is it normal for it to feeling like its lacking bass? The mids are def kinda recessed but the highs are there.
I have listened to purely IEMs and HD598 (open headphone) for the past 2 years, so the closed experience is definitely a life changer...

I also have the QC25 which seems to sound more bassey and easy to listen to as a result.

Should I just listen to it over the next few days? Get used to it? I had the HD598c (the closed one) a month ago and it really sucked for sure, recessed everything compared to open HD598. This momentum 2.0 is def. an improvement but are closed headphones like this?

Like I am listening to some songs off my iPhone and some vocals definitely sound tinny... worried here :frowning2:

That is not the sound signature I know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back