Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Jan 7, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #3,271 of 3,671
Thinking of replacing my old momentum v1 headphones with momentum 2.0 wireless. Already tried them and loved them, but having tough time deciding because it's already two years old (announced at CES 2015). Maybe Sennheiser is going to refresh them soon? Anyways, I'm having trouble deciding between momentum 2.0 wireless, B&O H9, ATH-DSR9BT. Got hands on H7 but didn't like really that much. Maybe H9 would be significantly better? Also, I wonder if ATH-DSR9BT pure digital drive system is that a big deal and the sound quality is going to be way better? 

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #3,272 of 3,671
Momentums are pretty excellent, based on 5 minutes trying on a buddy's pair. Some of the best mids and instrument separation I've heard. High-end build quality as well with the best earpads I've ever felt on a pair of headphones. Bass/seal also aren't affected by glasses!

The only real cons are the hiss from the ANC, and that the Bluetooth quality from an iPhone isn't as good as it is with a wired connection. I suppose with an aptX device it'd sound excellent over Bluetooth. AAC support would make these an all-around winner.

Unfortunately though the Solo3 do sound better over Bluetooth with AAC on an iPhone -- not to discount the soundstage and instrument separation of the Momentum. Wired the Momentum will destroy the the Solo3 of course, but Sennheiser wants the Momentum to sound great on the iPhone they need to release a 3.0 model with ACC support ASAP.

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #3,273 of 3,671
Momentums are pretty excellent, based on 5 minutes trying on a buddy's pair. Some of the best mids and instrument separation I've heard. High-end build quality as well with the best earpads I've ever felt on a pair of headphones. Bass/seal also aren't affected by glasses!

The only real cons are the hiss from the ANC, and that the Bluetooth quality from an iPhone isn't as good as it is with a wired connection. I suppose with an aptX device it'd sound excellent over Bluetooth. AAC support would make these an all-around winner.

Unfortunately though the Solo3 do sound better over Bluetooth with AAC on an iPhone -- not to discount the soundstage and instrument separation of the Momentum. Wired the Momentum will destroy the the Solo3 of course, but Sennheiser wants the Momentum to sound great on the iPhone they need to release a 3.0 model with ACC support ASAP.

But do they have the same level of bass as beats?  

Anything less is weak to me and my urbeats will probably break within a couple months

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #3,274 of 3,671
But do they have the same level of bass as beats?  

Anything less is weak to me and my urbeats will probably break within a couple months

No, of course the bass isn't as thick or accentuated as on the Solo3. I was surprised by the amount of thump and sub-bass that is present in the Momentum though. There's a better low-end than I was expecting.

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #3,275 of 3,671
Placed an order for a pair of my own. I was impressed by the leather/metal build and comfort on my friend's pair (who I referred to these and also referred to the M-100) so I figured I'd audition at home with a pair of my own. Definitely wouldn't wanna sweat on these just because the leather is high quality so they probably won't be used at the gym. 

Funnily enough I still don't want to give up the Solo3 even though I got a great deal on these, and may not unless I find the Momentum blows them away for me personally -- not just sound which it has in wired mode, but wireless quality primarily. In a five second non-scientific test they sounded noticeably more compressed with the iPhone over wireless mode than they do with a wire. It was the build quality/comfort that really sold me on the Momentum though.

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #3,276 of 3,671
Momentum 3.0 Wireless rumors, anyone?

1. They desperately need AAC/AAC+ support
  2. Not to mention Bluetooth 5 standard is finished
  3. There are now wireless models on the market with much better ANC
  4. They are still too pricey for lacking good ANC and not supporting AAC makes them bad for iPhone, a primary market for fashionable, portable headphones
  5. It seems that retailers, including official Sennheiser retailers, start to discount Momentum models by a lot (and only them)

Hit me!

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #3,277 of 3,671
My Momentum Wireless headphones are arriving today, but I've already tried the Momentum 2.0 wired and know that the earcups are painfully small for me. I was looking at the Brainwavz sheepskin pads to replace them with, but I'm not sure whether I should get the angled or straight ones. Any suggestions?

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #3,278 of 3,671
Momentum 3.0 Wireless rumors, anyone?

1. They desperately need AAC/AAC+ support
  2. Not to mention Bluetooth 5 standard is finished
  3. There are now wireless models on the market with much better ANC
  4. They are still too pricey for lacking good ANC and not supporting AAC makes them bad for iPhone, a primary market for fashionable, portable headphones
  5. It seems that retailers, including official Sennheiser retailers, start to discount Momentum models by a lot (and only them)

Hit me!

Nope. Spoke to a Sennheiser rep the other day who confirmed that the rebadged Momentum 2.0 Wireless is now called HD1 and will not have a successor before end of 2017, beginning of 2018. He also confirmed that the HD4 will be positioned under the HD1.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #3,279 of 3,671
Nope. Spoke to a Sennheiser rep the other day who confirmed that the rebadged Momentum 2.0 Wireless is now called HD1 and will not have a successor before end of 2017, beginning of 2018. He also confirmed that the HD4 will be positioned under the HD1.

Crap :frowning2: That is so bad! There are literally no good bluetooth headphones around with at least AAC support. I've ordered the Crossfade Wireless, but we all know that's for dance music and movies. B&W are V-shaped, Sony has questionable build quality I guess, Bose... What's even left?

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #3,280 of 3,671
I'm frustrated because I know they're going to sound fantastic wired but I think the compressed sound from an iPhone will bother me in wireless mode. I have a pair reserved for store pickup but don't want to pick it up if I'm going to return it for sounding compressed over Bluetooth.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #3,281 of 3,671
I'm frustrated because I know they're going to sound fantastic wired but I think the compressed sound from an iPhone will bother me in wireless mode. I have a pair reserved for store pickup but don't want to pick it up if I'm going to return it for sounding compressed over Bluetooth.

If you want good wired Momentums, just go for the wired version! Everyone has significant discounts for those. You will, for sure, have bad quality off an iPhone. Macs are a different story (they have Apt-X support), but iPhones.. Sorry man.

Wired is not that bad.

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #3,282 of 3,671
  If you want good wired Momentums, just go for the wired version! Everyone has significant discounts for those. You will, for sure, have bad quality off an iPhone. Macs are a different story (they have Apt-X support), but iPhones.. Sorry man.

Wired is not that bad.

haha Yes, I know the wire isn't too bad but I'm specifically searching for a pair of wireless headphones. Plus I received a deal on the Momentum 2.0 Wireless that makes it effectively the same cost as the wired 2.0 deals I can currently find. If only these had AAC support...

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #3,283 of 3,671

haha Yes, I know the wire isn't too bad but I'm specifically searching for a pair of wireless headphones. Plus I received a deal on the Momentum 2.0 Wireless that makes it effectively the same cost as the wired 2.0 deals I can currently find. If only these had AAC support...

Get them! I am sure they will sound good and you can always use them as wired. I do feel the wired only version has a slightly different sound than the BT version wired. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #3,284 of 3,671
  Get them! I am sure they will sound good and you can always use them as wired. I do feel the wired only version has a slightly different sound than the BT version wired. 

Hey, I've been curious how the Momentum 2.0 compare to the HD 650. You own both, so thoughts?

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #3,285 of 3,671

Hey, I've been curious how the Momentum 2.0 compare to the HD 650. You own both, so thoughts?

Two different worlds. One is portable one is not. One is open one is not. The HD650 is a classic, sure enough. I will try to throw some comparisons at you when I have time to articulate. 

To help you with the 2.0. The 2.0 have been my portable BT for a year. If you can get a deal on them I would do it. Worse case you can sell them as they are still popular and you can pass the deal on to others on headfi. I like the Meze Classics 99 as another wired portable option but their design to me does not lend itself to be the most portable and for that reason I think the 2.0 will work well for you.!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back