Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Jan 19, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #3,287 of 3,671
  Crap :frowning2: That is so bad! There are literally no good bluetooth headphones around with at least AAC support. I've ordered the Crossfade Wireless, but we all know that's for dance music and movies. B&W are V-shaped, Sony has questionable build quality I guess, Bose... What's even left?

Parrot Zik is AAC.

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #3,289 of 3,671
I'm going to do a full comparison between the Momentum 2.0 Wireless and Beats Solo3 along the lines of "year-old wireless hi-fi vs perfected wireless... Beats." I already foresee a compressed Bluetooth sound putting the Momentum behind but they both have their merits.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #3,290 of 3,671
As a Momentum 2 user for a year now I will be curious to hear your thoughts. Judging from your signature knowing you like the bassy bloat of the M-100 and use Apple I would say the Beats will come out victorious as they probably pair better with Apple for obvious reasons.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #3,291 of 3,671
As a Momentum 2 user for a year now I will be curious to hear your thoughts. Judging from your signature knowing you like the bassy bloat of the M-100 and use Apple I would say the Beats will come out victorious as they probably pair better with Apple for obvious reasons.

I did open the Momentum after that post and am listening to them for the first time now. Initial impressions are that the detail resolution, dynamics, and separation are incredible. I'm hearing details I certainly haven't heard on other headphones. As much as I love the M-100 the Momentum might be better. They're undoubtedly the most comfortable. Bass isn't lacking either.

Only initial disappointment is that the CapTune app doesn't seem to work with anything other than non-DRM tracks saved on the device. I was expecting it to change the EQ locally on the headphone.

Thus far, these would be virtually perfect with AAC support and EQ on the headphone itself so it works with all sources. With the bass boost these could be incredible. I used the bass booster EQ built into the phone to listen to a few hip-hop/dance tracks and the bass literally tickles your ears. It's like a quality version of Beats Studios lol. I really wish I could use the bass booster built into the app because they really rumble without losing notable clarity in the mids or treble with Apple's bass booster EQ.

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #3,292 of 3,671
Honestly the Momentum and the Solo3 are both excellent in different ways. Hopefully this comparison helps me decide which to keep (I'm surprised how much I like the Solo3 every time I put it on :)), or whether it's worth keeping both.

The Momentum sound better overall, but the question is whether the Solo3 sounds less compressed. I can say that I do like having the contrast of a small but still fairly spacious soundstage and a large, well-separated one. Both headphones provide two different, pleasant ways to experience a song.

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #3,293 of 3,671
Wow, the Momentum sound wonderful over aptX with my MacBook Pro. Perfect pair of wireless headphones for an office. Though it still sounds compressed.

Tried it with the wire for about 20 seconds. Frankly I think I prefer it in wireless mode, at least with a Mac. The sound signature definitely changes. I feel like it's more mid-forward, powerful, and spacious in wireless mode. The Beats are similar actually, wired vs wireless. Sennheiser also put a solid DAC in here. AAC Momentums would equal near-perfect wireless headphones as the clarity with a wire is better. The lack of AAC support me do these in for me. aptX is good but not good enough IMO.

Exactly why I'm becoming so fanatical about the potential of wireless headphones -- a proper DAC can make the headphones sound like they're plugged into an amp.

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #3,294 of 3,671
As surprising as the level of detail resolution being higher than expected is the sub-bass in wireless mode. It's almost earcup-rattling strong, but not overpowering. With a bass boost the sub-bass tickles the ears. I know the bass isn't as important to most audiophiles, but these drivers are capable of serious power.

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #3,295 of 3,671
Wow, the Momentum sound wonderful over aptX with my MacBook Pro. Perfect pair of wireless headphones for an office. Though it still sounds compressed.

Tried it with the wire for about 20 seconds. Frankly I think I prefer it in wireless mode, at least with a Mac. The sound signature definitely changes. I feel like it's more mid-forward, powerful, and spacious in wireless mode. The Beats are similar actually, wired vs wireless. Sennheiser also put a solid DAC in here. AAC Momentums would equal near-perfect wireless headphones as the clarity with a wire is better. The lack of AAC support me do these in for me. aptX is good but not good enough IMO.

Exactly why I'm becoming so fanatical about the potential of wireless headphones -- a proper DAC can make the headphones sound like they're plugged into an amp.

So let me get this straight, as I'm not sure how the aptX/aac stuff works. If I have an iPhone 6s, I'd only get compressed wireless sound? A macbook pro supports aptx but an iPhone 6s doesn't?

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #3,296 of 3,671
So let me get this straight, as I'm not sure how the aptX/aac stuff works. If I have an iPhone 6s, I'd only get compressed wireless sound? A macbook pro supports aptx but an iPhone 6s doesn't?

Correct. An iPhone 6s at the best will transmit A2DP. Apple's codec AAC is theoretically capable of about 30% higher quality audio, but the Momentum don't support AAC which was the biggest oversight of their design imo. 

Macs do indeed support aptX. Apple disables it on iOS due to its power consumption. Regardless of the compression the Momentum are able to dig a lot of insight out of the recordings, more so than most wired headphones.

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #3,297 of 3,671
Definitely better with a wire unfortunately, which is why I didn't buy them at release -- I was waiting for wireless headphones that sound as good or better in wireless mode up to a certain bitrate.

I actually prefer the sound of the Momentum with the bass reducer EQ turned on. For EDM/hip-hip/bassy pop I do enjoy my bass though. Maybe I'm turning into a neutral audiophile 
eek.gif
?

Yeah, bass reduction brings a greater sense of clarity to the headphones. Much more impressed with the Momentum wired with a more neutral sound since the driver is that damn good to provide the detail and clarity.

As somebody who loves the M-100 and Solo3, I'll even go as far to say that the bass on the Momentum overpowers the other frequencies to the point they're not as crystal clear as they can be with a more neutral tuning. The M-100 handles the bass boost better without muddying the mids (which the Momentum do ever so slightly), though the mids on the Momentum are incredibly transparent and easily more detailed than the M-100. It'd be a toss-up choosing which is better: M-100 is funner, Momentum are more detailed.

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #3,298 of 3,671

I got somewhat bored of the Momentums and wanted something better so I got B&W P7 Wireless this week.
They sound excellent, much richer sound than the Momentums - going back to them I can hear how they sound muffled, no treble, mudded mids (in comparison, not saying they sound bad, I enjoyed them tremendously!)
They are much more bassy than the Momentums and much louder as well.
The negatives - they hiss when the DAC switches on, I'm going into a service centre on Monday to get a comparison and ascertain whether mine are bad or it's just common (it seems to be common though, since I'm not the only one complaining about it). It's maybe even worse than the ANC noise on the Momentums - at least with them it's always there so you get used to it, and it has its "purpose".
I posted a more in-depth comparison in the P7 thread if anyone is interested, but feel free to ask.

If anybody's looking for a worthy upgrade and you don't need ANC _that_ much, give them a try.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #3,299 of 3,671
I got somewhat bored of the Momentums and wanted something better so I got B&W P7 Wireless this week.
They sound excellent, much richer sound than the Momentums - going back to them I can hear how they sound muffled, no treble, mudded mids (in comparison, not saying they sound bad, I enjoyed them tremendously!)
They are much more bassy than the Momentums and much louder as well.
The negatives - they hiss when the DAC switches on, I'm going into a service centre on Monday to get a comparison and ascertain whether mine are bad or it's just common (it seems to be common though, since I'm not the only one complaining about it). It's maybe even worse than the ANC noise on the Momentums - at least with them it's always there so you get used to it, and it has its "purpose".
I posted a more in-depth comparison in the P7 thread if anyone is interested, but feel free to ask.

If anybody's looking for a worthy upgrade and you don't need ANC _that_ much, give them a try.

Do they hiss the entire time or just when it initially switches on? Are you comparing the wireless modes of both headphones? The mids on the Momentum definitely sound rich with a wire.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #3,300 of 3,671
They hiss when the DAC is on. Usually only after something's been playing and you pause it (the headphones detect silence and switch off the DAC in a few seconds though), sometimes when something just "opens" the audio device and is ready to play. For example if you use it with a tablet, open some game but turn Music in the game off - the audio stays on even when nothing is playing and all you get is this white noise. Some people say it's not that bad, some live with it, but personally it annoys me as hell because I can hear it all the time when not playing something loud. Might be that mine are faulty but...

I don't notice that mich difference on Momentums with wireless/wired except for dynamics and bass (and general loudness), but I didn't actually try comparing them head to head when wired. I can just tell you that P7 sound absolutely brilliant wired and wireless, and wireless is so much better sounding than the Momentums. And I hate wires :wink:
Btw they are soooo comfy compared to the Momentums. I actually fall asleep with them on my head and they don't bother me at all, while the Momentums... 
Read my comparison in the P7 thread, no need repeating everything here, but feel free to ask :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back