Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Apr 13, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #1,426 of 3,671
Thank you for the info. If I did not already try and reviewed the MDR-10RBT months ago, and tried the mdr-xb950bt too, and written http://www.head-fi.org/t/601665/what-are-head-fi-members-views-on-apt-x-lossless-codec-over-bluetooth/180#post_11483563, I would have not know that already and your would have surely be a useful contribution.
I am not a newbie. But I still learn.

For the av adapter for example i didn't know there are some with Bluetooth, and even less with low latency APTX. I'm a beta tester for Avantree, a company leader in low latency APTX products. So the theme is interesting to me.
I would appreciate if you can provide a link with such a wonderful av adapter.

I think I will take a break now.
It was enough of imputs from newbies for today.

Yup, we newbies can be somethin!! 
biggrin.gif
 But, I am really learning a lot around here, and that is a good thing.

Okay, not going to hi jack, so I will make is short. Real short.. Just by coincidence, I was looking at this first. Just something to plug up to my TV, and allow me to use my M2 wireless headphones(on topic) from my TV, and getting the sound in aptx too.

http://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Bluetooth-transmitter-streaming-wirelessly/dp/B00LAZ6RTW/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_12

However, as I searched on, I said, supposed I could get an A/V receiver with aptx, then I  could have more of the music worlds. First, I would have bluetooth coming from my TV to my aptx M2 headphones.The A/V receiver would be using the aptx codec. Also, I will have another headphone amp in the A/V receiver, and the A/V receiver can be the start of a an AV System, with speakers and all.

Being a newbie, I just got into headphones because of my smartphone. My HDTV was just plain, sound just  off the internal speakers.. Now, the M2, is making me go some steps further, so it looks like I will have a complete system around my HDTV.

Here are the two AV receivers I am looking at. Both are bluetooth, and aptx..

http://store.sony.com/7.2-ch-4k-wi-fi-network-a-v-receiver-zid27-STRDN850/cat-27-catid-Collections-EPIC-Sound-Bars-HAV-Systems?_t=pfm%3Dsearch

http://store.sony.com/7.2-ch.-4k-a-v-receiver-with-bluetooth-zid27-STRDH750/cat-27-catid-all-receivers

Also, I enjoy being a newbie around gurus/experts..  Cuts the learning curve big time.. 

thanks.. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #1,427 of 3,671
I had my first stutter/static issue and it was quite prolonged in nature while I was trying different things to correct it.
Battery life was at "less than 3 hours".
Phone was in my pocket while seated.
Turned the headphones on and waited for the connected prompt. Pressed play.
I was met with crazy stutters and static.
I should note that I was steaming music through the music app on my iPhone 6 from my laptop in the living room via wifi (obviously).
I pressed play to pause the music, when I pressed play again it was playing music from my playlist on the laptop!? It was no longer connected to my phone but directly to the laptops Bluetooth. It seems like the headphones connected to each of them at different times, like it was confused about which source to connect to.
The music from the laptop was playing well with no stutters/static.
Are the headphones stuck in some weird pairing loop?

Anyway, I paused them again and turned off the laptops Bluetooth.
I powered off the headphones then back on again, they connected immediately to my phone and have been playing music flawlessly ever since. Even when I got up and went to a room ~30 feet away to fold some cloths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually, when I have my M2s paired to different devices, when time come to connect to one, I turn the others off. Then connect to the desired device. Example, I have the Galaxy Gear S smartwatch, along with my Note 4.. The M2 is paired to both of them. So, if I am trying to connect to the gear, I don't use the NFC thingee, sometimes, it doesn't know which one to go to and won't connect. But, when I turn off the other source, I connect right away, no problems.  Line of sight connections have gone over 120 feet at the gym. This is line of sight, no obstacles.. I have never got any of the POPS I hear others say they get, and I just got a few stutters, and that be around tall buildings. I think everybody knows that micro waves interfere with bluetooth signals..

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #1,428 of 3,671
  What? I would like to try aptx as in "pair my Momentums to an aptx device" instead of my iPhone

In addition to the above, you have to be feeding the source lossless files/Flac to get benefits from aptx..

Regular mp3 files, there should be no difference.. Although some have said there is a difference with mp3 files and aptx. I have not experienced it.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #1,429 of 3,671
Right peeps as this headphones still don't fit well with my glasses on I'm going to have to sell them! Just two days old and hardly used I've put them up on eBay. They are in Ivory so if your interested head over to eBay as I have them up there with best offer! Just to uncomfortable for my head.! ☺

Yup, there is a trick to wearing M2s, and having glasses.  I just happen to have some long nappy hair, and sometimes I put a du rag on.. So, anytime the glass feel uncomfortable, first I re position them, if that doesn't work, I put them outside of the du rag, then the headphones..  It works for me..

Plus, I am quite a sight too. Mid 70s, full long grey hair, du rag sometimes, headphones, cowboy boots, and jeans, and I be snapping fingers too. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #1,430 of 3,671
  Does anyone know when Sennheiser plans to resupply retailers like Best Buy with the momentum wireless? Amazon estimates 1-3 months, but i have Best Buy giftcards and i just wondered if anyone had a more specific estimate. Thanks

Dag, I just looked at Amazon, where I got mine from, and they are saying 1 to 3 months.. and BestBuy is sold out online for the both colors..

I wonder why these M2s are selling like hotcakes?? 
biggrin.gif

I would check Amazon used, those RETURNS should be hitting the market, but I am almost sure they are gong to be asking $450 or above for used and open box M2s..

They have a black M2/used for $425 on Amazon. Most likely a recent return. Good thing is it is sold by Amazon Prime. That means you get free shipping, and free returns..Amazon has a no hassle return policy too. Hope that helps..

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #1,431 of 3,671
I have the M2 wired. They are the most comfortable headphones I have ever had, really lightweight, but I'm planning on returning them for the other headphones though less comfortable but more balanced. I think the M2 raised the treble little too much which makes it hard to hear other subtle things in the song like the background, instruments, or backup vocals... Anyway, still give the perfect 10 for the comfort I've got from the M2. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #1,432 of 3,671
Does anyone know when Sennheiser plans to resupply retailers like Best Buy with the momentum wireless? Amazon estimates 1-3 months, but i have Best Buy giftcards and i just wondered if anyone had a more specific estimate. Thanks

Called up one of their authorised retailers and said they were on back order from May to July as well. Finally got in contact with Sennheiser and they said there's a delay in their factories and gave the same time frame. Maybe they're holding out on the next batch for feedback on the current ones and give improvements on the next batch like for connectivity issues.

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #1,434 of 3,671

Called up one of their authorised retailers and said they were on back order from May to July as well. Finally got in contact with Sennheiser and they said there's a delay in their factories and gave the same time frame. Maybe they're holding out on the next batch for feedback on the current ones and give improvements on the next batch like for connectivity issues.

This is wishful thinking, in my view. BT stuttering issues are common to both new series of Sennheiser headphones (Momentum and Urbanite XL), so doubt Sennheiser will acknowledge any problem. They all work fine in a fixed environment where the user is not moving around at all with the source - eg a train, at home. Start walking about with a smartphone in a pocket or bag, and it all begins to fall apart.

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #1,435 of 3,671

In addition to the above, you have to be feeding the source lossless files/Flac to get benefits from aptx..

Regular mp3 files, there should be no difference.. Although some have said there is a difference with mp3 files and aptx. I have not experienced it.

No you have not. Maybe you don't know how bluetooth and aptx work
This is wishful thinking, in my view. BT stuttering issues are common to both new series of Sennheiser headphones (Momentum and Urbanite XL), so doubt Sennheiser will acknowledge any problem. They all work fine in a fixed environment where the user is not moving around at all with the source - eg a train, at home. Start walking about with a smartphone in a pocket or bag, and it all begins to fall apart.

The problem is much smaller than it seems, i have had a bit of lag right when i put my phone in standby in my pocket, that's it.

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #1,436 of 3,671

No you have not. Maybe you don't know how bluetooth and aptx work
The problem is much smaller than it seems, i have had a bit of lag right when i put my phone in standby in my pocket, that's it.

I have had three sets of M2s (two ivory, one black) from different retailers, and one set of Urbanite XL wireless.  All show the BT issues I am talking about.  A number of people in this thread (and others) also mention, or have returned, their M2s for BT stuttering issues.  It might be hardware dependent (source), but it is a real problem.  Just because you don't experience it personally does not mean it is not there.  However, given such comments, even if Sennheiser are looking this thread, I doubt they will feel compelled to do anything as the issue is not evident for every pair sold.

For the record, I have a Sony Xperia Z3 compact, and use uncompressed FLAC files. Files types have no impact - same stuttering issues whether playing music from my phone in FLAC or low quality streaming from Spotify.  I have a pair of Sony MBR-10RBT BT headphones, and they never stutter.  Therefore, I know there is no fault with my BT connection (it also streams without fault to my Yamaha YSP-2500 soundbar).  However, with all three M2s and the Urbanite XLs, if I sit in my office or home with the phone sitting still on a table or desk, I can walk around with no stutters or disconnects from the headphones via BT. Same on a train or a bus, where the phone is sitting in my pocket or bag.  If, however, I start walking with the phone in my pocket, then the signal will stutter every so often, sometimes very badly.  Can be reproduced at home, doing the same, but can also replicate it walking down a street.  

Given that I am now on my third M2 (having returned all the others, including the XLs, which were v good, but not quite as rich as the M2s in sound and suffered same BT issues), I have to decide whether these go back too.  They came with me today on a train journey from Liverpool to London, where they behaved faultlessly.  Have not walked them round London, as I know what will happen re: BT stuttering issue.  Like the sound signature, and have been using the wired connection when out and about, but really wondering what I am paying for in the BT connection, if it only works when virtually stationary.  For those without issues, as I've said before, lucky you.  The M2s are a good headphone, but they are not problem free.

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #1,437 of 3,671
Hi, I've been searching through this thread (and Google must be getting tired of my queries) to find an answer to my question with no luck.

I'm wondering if audio is supposed to sound horrible when using the microphone? This happens on all my devices and the headphones will say "Call ended" after I'm done accessing the microphone indicating some kind of call-mode. My Macbook tells me it is using the SCO codec when this happens. If I start skype or access the mic in any way it will switch from aptX to SCO and it sounds like an underwater speaker....

Is this a Bluetooth limitation, the Momentum, or something I can fix hardware/software-wise (BTD 800?) ?

Also I read it was possible to use the wired remote/mic from the wired version. Is this true? At least this could remedy my purchase as I use Skype etc. a lot. Anyone know of any shops that ship these internationally?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #1,438 of 3,671
I just got back from a short walk in my quiet, low traffic residential neighborhood.  I was wearing my M2's and I think I've experienced what others have reported.  With my iPhone 6 in my left pocket I would get skips in the music that would happen when I would turn my head quickly to check for traffic and infrequent skips just out of the blue.  It kind of broke the immersion of the music for me. 
I'm kind of sad about this. I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of exchanging for another pair but 5 notes is a lot of money to ignore and hold on to a potentially defective product.  I really love the comfort and sound and will mainly be using them at home though.  I may just keep them, I'll write a lengthy letter to Sennheiser and hopefully hold out for a new revision that they'll offer up...

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #1,439 of 3,671
  I just got back from a short walk in my quiet, low traffic residential neighborhood.  I was wearing my M2's and I think I've experienced what others have reported.  With my iPhone 6 in my left pocket I would get skips in the music that would happen when I would turn my head quickly to check for traffic and infrequent skips just out of the blue.  It kind of broke the immersion of the music for me. 
I'm kind of sad about this. I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of exchanging for another pair but 5 notes is a lot of money to ignore and hold on to a potentially defective product.  I really love the comfort and sound and will mainly be using them at home though.  I may just keep them, I'll write a lengthy letter to Sennheiser and hopefully hold out for a new revision that they'll offer up...

That sounds exactly like my issues, and the immersion point is key.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #1,440 of 3,671

I can absolutely agree that sudden movement (even slight) causes a stutter. I guess the question is, what is that prone to movement in the headphone? The antenna, the mic(s)? Or are you suppose to reman rigid while using? To be honest, the only device that is most affected by this problem is my MacBook Pro, all other connections to other devices are usually solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back