Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Apr 12, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #1,396 of 3,671
  Tested my 2nd pair of M2s using the usb dac feature. I posted on how to use it here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/749606/sennheiser-momentum-2-0-and-wireless/855#post_11409321

The feature still works on Chromebooks and the stock android music player but not with UAPP. However, since my Note 3 is now upgraded to android 5.0, the audio skips at times with the M2's usb dac through the stock player and JetAudio Plus (same with my idsd micro). Had to buy UAPP which corrected the playback issue for the micro but the app doesn't work with the M2's dac.

So, if you're still on android 4.4, it may be better to stick with that for best usb dac compatibility. 5.0 appears to require UAPP which won't work with some usb dacs.

The M2's dac feature may not be a strong point or deal breaker, but I thought it was a nice added feature. Now that I'm unable to use the dac feature smoothly, combined with the known bluetooth issues, it makes me think anyone considering the M2 may just want to get the wired version and save some money. I'm already beginning to feel that if I keep the M2, I'll likely be using them wired anyway for the most trouble free sound.

On my Note 4, I am with Tmobile, and it seems like they are not issuing the 5.0 update until all the bugs are out.. I am cool with that..

I think I lucked out my M2. First, wireless was my main priority. For me, my M2 works flawlessly. It could be because my work doesn't require me to be in the city  or a lot or places where there is a lot of interference. However, I do use my M2 wired sometime, but when I do, I got them connected to my 02-0DAC. They perform!

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #1,397 of 3,671
Only on the third day of use I've realized I was wearing my headphones backwards. They switched the cable position from the left to the right. I just assumed it would be the same. LOL.

I do wonder why this change was made too..

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #1,398 of 3,671
Had my m2 for a little while now, still need to burn them in. Tested on my iPhone 6 Bluetooth and wired and much prefer wired with NC off. Ran it through my fiio e12 and that improved the sound a little. Also tested with my X5 and fiio e12 they sound ok. I'm not totally impressed at the moment to be honest! I'm hoping once burned in they will improve! I'm sure when I put the Parrot Zik 2.0 on in the shop they sounded better! Plus not finding the NC is doing too much either! Can still here my boys childrena programmes playing in the background!

Quite tempted to try the Zik 2.0 and see how they go.... I'm sure when I put them on in the Apple store the NC was very good!

Anyways would be great to know what other people think.

Just speaking on my M2s, at first, they didn't impresse and the sound was just so so, compared to my  Sony MDR 1RBT MK2.. However, after a couple days, just speaking for the pair of M2s I have, they came alive..Now, a month or more later, they make me smile everytime..

When I go wired and amp, NC is off, they perform there too.

Even though I am newbie, I have read enough to ASSUME, that the Parrot Zik 2.0 is mainly for Apple products..Since I am android only, I don't even consider any wireless headphones without aptx.. The Zik 2.0 doesn't have aptx..

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #1,399 of 3,671
  Only on the third day of use I've realized I was wearing my headphones backwards. They switched the cable position from the left to the right. I just assumed it would be the same. LOL.

I do wonder why this change was made too..

Easy mistake. I wondered the same. If would have been great if there was an option to plug into either side :)

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #1,400 of 3,671
Just speaking on my M2s, at first, they didn't impresse and the sound was just so so, compared to my  Sony MDR 1RBT MK2.. However, after a couple days, just speaking for the pair of M2s I have, they came alive..Now, a month or more later, they make me smile everytime..

When I go wired and amp, NC is off, they perform there too.

Even though I am newbie, I have read enough to ASSUME, that the Parrot Zik 2.0 is mainly for Apple products..Since I am android only, I don't even consider any wireless headphones without aptx.. The Zik 2.0 doesn't have aptx..

I have left my m2's upstairs now to burn in for 48hrs hopefully they will start to improve!

I can sort of agree with aptx piece but have tested many Bluetooth headphones and some without it have performed pretty well. Oh well it's still early days lets see if they improve!

One last thing though they aren't very comfortable for someone who is wearing glasses :frowning2:

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #1,401 of 3,671
I have left my m2's upstairs now to burn in for 48hrs hopefully they will start to improve!

I can sort of agree with aptx piece but have tested many Bluetooth headphones and some without it have performed pretty well. Oh well it's still early days lets see if they improve!

One last thing though they aren't very comfortable for someone who is wearing glasses
frown.gif

IMO, on the bluetooth with aptx.. the source, and the receiver, and hi res audio files(flac etc) must be all present to see a difference. Playing just plain mp3 files or non hi res audio files and the source not supporting aptx, there will not be a difference.

Many have said, if you are NOT playing hi res audio files, then aptx shouldn't matter. About 95% of the music I play is flac..

On the glasses bit, you got a point there. I wear glasses, and have felt some discomfort  at times. However, I worked around that in re-positioning my glasses, and my next pair of glasses with have very thin arms. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #1,402 of 3,671
  IMO, on the bluetooth with aptx.. the source, and the receiver, and hi res audio files(flac etc) must be all present to see a difference. Playing just plain mp3 files or non hi res audio files and the source not supporting aptx, there will not be a difference.

Many have said, if you are NOT playing hi res audio files, then aptx shouldn't matter. About 95% of the music I play is flac..

On the glasses bit, you got a point there. I wear glasses, and have felt some discomfort  at times. However, I worked around that in re-positioning my glasses, and my next pair of glasses with have very thin arms. 
biggrin.gif

Are you talking about 96kbps mp3 or you really think mp3 makes a difference at all? Flac is a total waste on mobile (Probably everywhere except ultra-high-end)

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #1,403 of 3,671

Are you talking about 96kbps mp3 or you really think mp3 makes a difference at all? Flac is a total waste on mobile (Probably everywhere except ultra-high-end)

First I am a newbie, let me clarify that first! 
biggrin.gif

When I am  pushing a flac file from my Note 4, to my aptx supported headphones, I do hear a difference..

Also, I am not ultra high end either.. My Note 4 is about the average smartphone, all my headphones support aptx, and I use poweramp app on my Note 4.. I purchased Hi Res files from HD Tracks..I also have some of the same music in mp3.. I hear the difference..

With that said, could you explain to this newbie, your meaning of ultra-high-end?  Shucks, I know I am not even at the top of low end yet.. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #1,404 of 3,671
I am also from Australia and quite keen to get my hands on a pair of the Over Ear Wireless, I have reached out to Sennheiser in regards to availability and pricing but never heard back... Did you hear about the $799 from Sennheiser or a third party? If that is true I might just have to wait and pick a pair up in June when I go to the US

I got mine from addicted to audio for $699 with free shipping, making the most of their price matching. www.deniswhite.com.au have them on sale for $699

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #1,405 of 3,671
  First I am a newbie, let me clarify that first! 
biggrin.gif

When I am  pushing a flac file from my Note 4, to my aptx supported headphones, I do hear a difference..

Also, I am not ultra high end either.. My Note 4 is about the average smartphone, all my headphones support aptx, and I use poweramp app on my Note 4.. I purchased Hi Res files from HD Tracks..I also have some of the same music in mp3.. I hear the difference..

With that said, could you explain to this newbie, your meaning of ultra-high-end?  Shucks, I know I am not even at the top of low end yet.. 
biggrin.gif

I guess we are all newbies in audio and we stay that way.
Are you sure you're hearing a difference? Are you comparing flacs and 320-256kbps mp3s or under-128kpbs, maybe youtube rips? Could you try some AB blind tests?

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #1,406 of 3,671

Are you sure you're hearing a difference? Are you comparing flacs and 320-256kbps mp3s or under-128kpbs, maybe youtube rips? Could you try some AB blind tests?

I have also never been able to perceive any difference between a CD and a 320 Mp3.
I suppose the difference can only be perceived in very high end equipment.
I am sincerely not sure that any BT headphone can make you feel this difference. It is not a matter of Aptx or not.
Anyway I must disagree about Aptx being good only with Flac.
I cannot perceive the difference between a flac and a 320mp3 but I surely perceive the difference beteween Aptx and no Aptx on a Mp3 too.

Anyway, as already said often here, not all SBC are the same. There are many kind of SBC codecs, not just one.
And there are many other aspects influencing the final quality of the sound.
The Akg K845BT, Bose Soundlink On Ear, and Parrot Zik are an example of how a SBC headphone can sound better than many Aptx ones.

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,407 of 3,671
  I have also never been able to perceive any difference between a CD and a 320 Mp3.
I suppose the difference can only be perceived in very high end equipment.
I am sincerely not sure that any BT headphone can make you feel this difference. It is not a matter of Aptx or not.
Anyway I must disagree about Aptx being good only with Flac.
I cannot perceive the difference between a flac and a 320mp3 but I surely perceive the difference beteween Aptx and no Aptx on a Mp3 too.

Anyway, as already said often here, not all SBC are the same. There are many kind of SBC codecs, not just one.
And there are many other aspects influencing the final quality of the sound.
The Akg K845BT, Bose Soundlink On Ear, and Parrot Zik are an example of how a SBC headphone can sound better than many Aptx ones.

Yeah, this is head-fi, i've seen people claiming they could percieve FLACs vs CDs, i can't dispute them since i have a "normal" hearing and a "normal" audio setup, but i'm pretty sure flac are wasted if you're playing them from a phone to a bluetooth hp.
I tried blind testings and i can only hear differences under 128kbps MP3s
I would really like to try APTX on anything but i have an iPhone so no luck.

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #1,408 of 3,671

I like that... 
biggrin.gif

Just checked Thriller playing with Poweramp off my Note 4.. it states "44.1KHZ 961KBPS FLAC"

Also, I have have some mp3 files and since aquired the same music in FLAC.. I deleted the mp3 files. For example, I am a "kill bill 1 & 2" nutcase. I had the soundtracks of both in mp3. Couple months ago, I got both Vol 1 & 2 in flac.. Oh boy..

IMO, and I think others had mentioned, if one is just playing mp3 files, you not going to see a difference. Also, jumping to the Note 3&4 with aptx, I have seen people state that if it would be a game changer if the Note 4 didn't have aptx.. Also, it has been a game changer for me too. Since, bluetooth and android are at the front of my listening to music, aptx is a game changer. Don't have it, not even considered.. That is just speaking for myself.
wink.gif

I did the a/b test before I deleted the mp3 files that I have duplicated in flac files..Shucks, some of the flac albums cost me $25,  ouch!!

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,409 of 3,671

Yeah, this is head-fi, i've seen people claiming they could percieve FLACs vs CDs, i can't dispute them since i have a "normal" hearing and a "normal" audio setup, but i'm pretty sure flac are wasted if you're playing them from a phone to a bluetooth hp.

Another gauge to check, if you noticed, mostly all the bluetooth headphones considered good are putting aptx on them. LIke right now, I am venturing into getting an A/V receiver with bluetooth. My first criteria is to see if has bluetooth. Yes, they are putting it on A/V receivers. In my opinion, they are not putting aptx on those units, whether it be hps, receivers, etc for the fun of it.. Just my opinion..

Now, they are even uping the ante, with low latency aptx.. Oh boy... 
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #1,410 of 3,671

Well, you can still try AAC...
Anyway, "trying Aptx" is not easy. There is a thread about Aptx. It is discussed how can people methodically test the apport of Aptx.
For example, you buy an Aptx headphone, how can you be SURE that it sounds good because of Aptx? You have no control over that because you cannot activate or deactivate Aptx.
Same would be with AAC.
But well, it is also not so important maybe, right?
After all @cehowardNote3 is right, almost all BT headphones have APTX now.
And almost all high end ones have AAC.
If you want to try some BT headphones, chose 2 or three with AAC which you think could meet your tastes, and compare them personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back