Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Feb 4, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #166 of 3,671
  Wow! I had read that combining the Alpen E17 (now discontinued) with the X5 does not do much for the sound. I would have respectfully disagree, at least with the M2 headphones. I find that there is MUCH more sound, and because it has treble and bass adjustments, I can control it better than I can with the X5 EQ (it sux unless you are looking for VERY small adjustments, in which it is great. Plus Fiio gave the EQ a -6dB gain across the board, any time it is active). I really liked the way these new cans sounded before, but I find that now, they sound much better.

For giggles, I tried using the X5+E17 in both combinations (E17 as a DAC, and E17 as amp). I prefer the sound of the X5 overall, so I decided to go with using the E17 as an amp. This paired with the M2s sound great. I am using EQ Off on the X5. I'm using Treble +6 and Bass +2 on the E17. I really do prefer a slight V sound signature with MOST of my music (but not all), which is a lot of metal, or at least hard rock. I am connecting a 3.5mm jack to LO of X5 to Aux in of E17, and using the HP port of the E17 for the M2s....

I have to amend my mini-review a tad bit. When I am at the computer, I wear glasses. The comfort level (or more specifically the time it takes to start getting uncomfortable) is significantly reduced while wearing glasses. There is not a ton of clamping force on these, but they weigh a slight bit more than the M1s (with the electronics), so after a while you will get the same discomfort as if there WERE some clamping force all. Mind you this is coming from someone that has a very small head, and the band only contacts the very top of my head (maybe a bit more than that, but it doesn't hug my head at all), so the majority of the force (weight) is resting on the pads on the side of my head (in this case my glasses, which are starting to hurt the top of my ears).

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #167 of 3,671

Ya, I have a big head (wear 7 1/2 to 7 5/8) caps comfortably and love the new Momentum ear cups and head band. It fits perfect around my ears and feels as good as the Sony MDR1s. Really feels like the headphone that has it all.

I didn't get the M1s just because of the small ear cups. Sorry to hear about you guys with the M2s not fitting well. Hopefully Senn has smaller ones. Wondering if there is anything on eBay to make them smaller for you?

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #168 of 3,671
  Short time lurker here! Just wondering if it'd be alright to drive this 28ohm without amps?

Also does it need separate aptX-capable BL dongle or sort for desktop / phone(Nexus 4) use?

Hard time deciding this and the first gen as the price is about threefolds here in Aus!

These sound great un-amped. With a wire they are easy to drive 28ohms, but in BT mode they are 480ohms. They will still sound awesome, but there won't be as much volume (one thing I don't like about driving them with my phone).

You don't HAVE to have an Apt-X source, but you will only hear lower quality sound. Here is an interesting read about what it is and how it might effect your listening with, and without.
http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/blog/aptx-what-is-it-and-can-it-deliver-hi-fi-sound-wirelessly/

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #169 of 3,671

Ya, I have a big head (wear 7 1/2 to 7 5/8) caps comfortably and love the new Momentum ear cups and head band. It fits perfect around my ears and feels as good as the Sony MDR1s. Really feels like the headphone that has it all.

I didn't get the M1s just because of the small ear cups. Sorry to hear about you guys with the M2s not fitting well. Hopefully Senn has smaller ones. Wondering if there is anything on eBay to make them smaller for you?

By golly, for what they can do (and the sound), and what I paid for them, I will wear them even if it makes me bleed...

nah, J/K I really do love em'

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #173 of 3,671
  I asked in email via 'Help' pop up yesterday and just got the reply. It looks like the code was for £50 discount and Phil said the minimum would be £330ish as it's now £379 : (

Send another email or wait till he's online for live chat.

So have they gone up in price since originally announced?

Are the noise cancelling feature battery operated?

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #175 of 3,671

So have they gone up in price since originally announced?

Are the noise cancelling feature battery operated?

They were £349, now gone up to £379 which is in-line with what Sennheiser are selling them for direct. Yes the noise cancelling is battery operated. Rechargeable, comes with a cable to charge, supposed to last 22 hours on one charge. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #176 of 3,671

They were £349, now gone up to £379 which is in-line with what Sennheiser are selling them for direct. Yes the noise cancelling is battery operated. Rechargeable, comes with a cable to charge, supposed to last 22 hours on one charge. 

That's annoying... I sent an email for a code before it went up in price, but didn't get a response in time. 
frown.gif

Feb 5, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #179 of 3,671

He contacted me this morning with a code...

All depends now, wired or wireless...? Let me know how good they are!

Good news. For me the wireless versions were the way to go. I've wanted a wireless pair of headphones for a while. Working in a noisy office, the noise cancelling will help massively. It was worth paying the extra. Should be here before 1pm as I paid for Special Delivery.

Feb 5, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #180 of 3,671
Can anyone confirm, that it is impossible to disable NC, if used wireless? I don´t need NC all the time, especially not, when listening on street. The new Beoplay H8 is able to toggle on/off NC and Bluetooth seperately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back