Sennheiser introduces the Momentum 3
Sep 12, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #61 of 141
I too bought the new Momentum and I agree with the comfort issue, clamp force is simply a little too high. Currently I'm trying to tone down the clamp force by bending the metal over night.
Sound wise, I managed to tone down the bass and up the highs with the included EQ app so now they sound similar to my DT990 Edition but with slightly more bass and without the beyerdynamic peak highs. I have the QC35 for comparison and sound quality is definately better on the Momentum but the QC35 still wins comfort wise of course - and the noice cancellation is better on the QC35, but I do like that the Momentums do not generate as much of a pressure sensation with high ANC setting, so the Momentum's ANC is alright and well balanced. I really like the transparent hearing function, my impression is that it works better than on other ANC headphones.

I mainly bought them because of aptx low latency because I want to use them for gaming and videos as well. It's a shame Bose/Sony do not update their headphones with aptx low latency support...
Do not care about aptx HD cause I'm not an audiophile person enough for that to hear a difference :wink:

One issue I have with the Momentums is that there is audible wireless communication noise you can hear when the headphone is on maximum volume and nothing is playing - but this is not an issue at ~70% volume so it's still acceptable.

Another issue I have is that when two connections are established, the headphone seems to have problems with aptx low latency and has some interruptions and distortions sometimes. Workaround is simply to only have one connection when using aptx low latency - so also acceptable.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #62 of 141
Think about it. Put a speaker in front of you and then move your head to the left in real time. Everything you're hearing is going to be playing into your right ear now, isn't it? That's what the Mobius is doing. For some people, listening to a headphone this way confuses their ears/mind, so it takes some getting used to for them. For others it makes sense and they adjusted right away. Give it some time for your mind to get used to it. If it doesn't work out for you, then maybe the 3D audio isn't your thing.
I loved the Mobius because of the 3D sound for Movies, but the audio remained in the right ear cup with it on. Must have been faulty pair. No way to update firmware as I don’t have a Windows Computer.

Sep 13, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #64 of 141
I too bought the new Momentum and I agree with the comfort issue, clamp force is simply a little too high. Currently I'm trying to tone down the clamp force by bending the metal over night.
Sound wise, I managed to tone down the bass and up the highs with the included EQ app so now they sound similar to my DT990 Edition but with slightly more bass and without the beyerdynamic peak highs. I have the QC35 for comparison and sound quality is definately better on the Momentum but the QC35 still wins comfort wise of course - and the noice cancellation is better on the QC35, but I do like that the Momentums do not generate as much of a pressure sensation with high ANC setting, so the Momentum's ANC is alright and well balanced. I really like the transparent hearing function, my impression is that it works better than on other ANC headphones.

I mainly bought them because of aptx low latency because I want to use them for gaming and videos as well. It's a shame Bose/Sony do not update their headphones with aptx low latency support...
Do not care about aptx HD cause I'm not an audiophile person enough for that to hear a difference :wink:

One issue I have with the Momentums is that there is audible wireless communication noise you can hear when the headphone is on maximum volume and nothing is playing - but this is not an issue at ~70% volume so it's still acceptable.

Another issue I have is that when two connections are established, the headphone seems to have problems with aptx low latency and has some interruptions and distortions sometimes. Workaround is simply to only have one connection when using aptx low latency - so also acceptable.
Thank you for your impressions. How do you switch connection between devices? I read the online support and this is not explained.

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #66 of 141
I loved the Mobius because of the 3D sound for Movies, but the audio remained in the right ear cup with it on. Must have been faulty pair. No way to update firmware as I don’t have a Windows Computer.
Did you hit the 3D audio button again to re-center it? It just might be a faulty pair like you said, but sometimes you need to center it by pressing the 3D audio button again.

Sep 13, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #69 of 141
Momentum 3. Just read the manual and it doesn’t explain how you switch between devices. I hope it is not like Sony’s poor implementation.

You don't "switch" device from the headphones :)

With the Sony the situation is messy because they don't support real multi-point, they support two connections only of they're entirely on a different Bluetooth profile.

Momentum instead support (like the B&O, Bose, Plantronics, Beyerdynamic, and basically all the biggest players... Sony is the only one to get multi-point wrong) real multi-point.

When two devices are connected simultaneously, the priority is given to the first device who started to broadcast audio to the headphones. The only way for the other device to take priority over the playing device, is receiving a phone call. A call has the priority over everything, and will always switch the audio of the device who's receiving the call (I believe this also applies to making calls, but I actually haven't tested it lol).

Example:

Laptop and smartphone connected simultaneously to the Momentum.
You're playing music from the smartphone. Now you opened YouTube on the laptop and you'd like switch to its audio. What you have to do is pause the music playing from the smartphone (either from the smartphone itself or by pressing the pause button on the headphones), wait 2-3 seconds (to make sure the audio broadcast is actually stopped - it doesn't stop in the exact moment you press "pause"), and then just press play on the YouTube video.
When you're done, pause the video or close the browser tab, and press play on the smartphone to go back to your music :)

Tip: if you use them with a laptop that has an Intel bluetooth card, there's 85% chances it supports aftermarket aptX Low Latency drivers, so give it a try and you'll be able to enjoy virtually latency-free audio :wink:

Edit: since you made me comment, I'll add my considerations to the thread lmao.
I own a pair of Momentum 2 Wireless and I really hate how they sound, waaaay too bassy/warm/boomy for my tastes. And I hate how they (don't) play trebles. I loved it's construction though, very solid. On the design, I always had mixed feelings.
I bought them believing they had aptX Low Latency... Which they don't have. Nice to see Sennheiser fixed this with the new model :wink:
PERSONALLY I prefer having aptX Low Latency over aptX HD. The first one really really makes a HUGE and objective difference in terms of enjoyability of media content other than music. aptX HD instead, for how much it can be an improvement over classic aptX, still will have a very small (even if noticeable by some folks) difference.

What I really can't understand of Momentum 3 is:

- After all the negative feedbacks from the PXC 550, why the heck taking the "fold to switch off" method also on the Momentum line!?
- In 2019, when most of the competition offers 30+ hours, how can you come out with 17 hours of battery life? Even less than Bose and than the previous Momentum model (22hrs)?

Now, questions time.
Has anybody compared the sound of Momentum 2 Wireless and Momentum 3 Wireless? Any noticeable difference in sound signature? Where?

Thank you ^_^

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #70 of 141
You don't "switch" device from the headphones :)

With the Sony the situation is messy because they don't support real multi-point, they support two connections only of they're entirely on a different Bluetooth profile.

Momentum instead support (like the B&O, Bose, Plantronics, Beyerdynamic, and basically all the biggest players... Sony is the only one to get multi-point wrong) real multi-point.

When two devices are connected simultaneously, the priority is given to the first device who started to broadcast audio to the headphones. The only way for the other device to take priority over the playing device, is receiving a phone call. A call has the priority over everything, and will always switch the audio of the device who's receiving the call (I believe this also applies to making calls, but I actually haven't tested it lol).

Example:

Laptop and smartphone connected simultaneously to the Momentum.
You're playing music from the smartphone. Now you opened YouTube on the laptop and you'd like switch to its audio. What you have to do is pause the music playing from the smartphone (either from the smartphone itself or by pressing the pause button on the headphones), wait 2-3 seconds (to make sure the audio broadcast is actually stopped - it doesn't stop in the exact moment you press "pause"), and then just press play on the YouTube video.
When you're done, pause the video or close the browser tab, and press play on the smartphone to go back to your music :)

Tip: if you use them with a laptop that has an Intel bluetooth card, there's 85% chances it supports aftermarket aptX Low Latency drivers, so give it a try and you'll be able to enjoy virtually latency-free audio :wink:

Edit: since you made me comment, I'll add my considerations to the thread lmao.
I own a pair of Momentum 2 Wireless and I really hate how they sound, waaaay too bassy/warm/boomy for my tastes. And I hate how they (don't) play trebles. I loved it's construction though, very solid. On the design, I always had mixed feelings.
I bought them believing they had aptX Low Latency... Which they don't have. Nice to see Sennheiser fixed this with the new model :wink:
PERSONALLY I prefer having aptX Low Latency over aptX HD. The first one really really makes a HUGE and objective difference in terms of enjoyability of media content other than music. aptX HD instead, for how much it can be an improvement over classic aptX, still will have a very small (even if noticeable by some folks) difference.

What I really can't understand of Momentum 3 is:

- After all the negative feedbacks from the PXC 550, why the heck taking the "fold to switch off" method also on the Momentum line!?
- In 2019, when most of the competition offers 30+ hours, how can you come out with 17 hours of battery life? Even less than Bose and than the previous Momentum model (22hrs)?

Now, questions time.
Has anybody compared the sound of Momentum 2 Wireless and Momentum 3 Wireless? Any noticeable difference in sound signature? Where?

Thank you ^_^
Many thanks for your points and I will practice the pause switch audio tip. I intend to use with 3 devices - iPhone, iPad and Sennheiser BT00 [AptX LL] TV transmitter.

I owned both Bose 700 and Sony WH1000XM3 previously. Regardless of spec the Bose have much better battery life. I would say twice as long compared to Sony.

Sep 17, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #72 of 141
Just got them today and setting up. One massive flaw with the design which is you can’t leave them 0n a headphone stand as they will stay turned on if unfolded.

I thought I read that can be disabled in settings. I could be mistaken though.

Sep 17, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #75 of 141
There is no on/off button which is the issue.

You can disable pause music when taking off the headphones in settings.

You can unfold the headphones without turning them on. Hold down the multifunction button for five secs while unfolding and the headphones turn off and can be used passively (or put on a stand).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back