Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jan 20, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #4,576 of 4,836
Jan 20, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #4,577 of 4,836
Anyway, I went out of the store with new cables — black mamba (pure copper).

I’m one of those people that hear differences in certain cables and for the ones I tried (silver plated copper, silver copper litz, some entry level and a usd2k set), my ears preferred the black mambas. Don’t care what other ears say, I need my cables to help the sound, not just for ergonomics and to prevent microphonics.

IMG_1668.jpeg

Jan 20, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #4,578 of 4,836
Jan 20, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #4,580 of 4,836
Hi, do the MMCX plugs fit correctly? They don't come off on their own?
fit is correct, the mmcx was specific to the ie900. Got the cable from a shop and they helped me install the specific ie series connection. It uses a multiconnect and depending on the iems, the right plug can be installed with a tiny screw.

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #4,582 of 4,836
Jan 22, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #4,584 of 4,836
I am starting my IEM journey, planning to buy IE 900 as my first pair but the amount of different cables and eartips is very overwhelming.

Can anyone please recommend:

1. Best aftermarket cable? Best quality, most comfortable etc.
2. Best eartips? I'm aware this is different for everyone but what are the brands that most people end up liking?
3. I have no idea what dac/amp to buy so I'm just going to randomly choose the mojo 2, is this overkill or fine?

Thanks

1. I would try the stock cable first and then see for yourself if it needs improvement.
2. Sennheiser IE Pro ear tips. Very similar to stock (including foam filter), but slightly more rigid which makes it easier to fit and get a seal.
3. I recently got a Mojo 2 in anticipation of an over-ear headphone purchase. There's a bit of a background noise with the IE900. You might only notice it when not playing. The built-in EQ is nice to have, though I haven't felt the need to use it with the IE900 so far, but it could be handy for other IEM or headphones. Other wise I also have a Violectric Chronos which I got before the Mojo just to give me access to a noise-free background and hi-res. It's difficult to give a recommendation without having an idea of how you will use the IE900, so feel free to elaborate.

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:11 AM Post #4,585 of 4,836
I’d recommend a DAP mainly if you want that nostalgic sensation of a “singular -purpose device.” Akin to the days of iPods, portable CDs, or Walkmans.

Otherwise, dongle DACs like Carin RU7 and Questyle M15 are right up there in quality with DAPs. And, better yet, you can more easily sell and upgrade USB DACs than you can DAPs. Plus, you can use them with just about any device (phone, computer, gaming console, etc)

There are even more high-end, portable DAC/amps on the market now. But, these are more valuable for owners of full-sized cans to take advantage of the extra power, imo.

We aren’t talking full-sized cans which need a lot of juice or voltage. Just need a clean, quiet, quality source for the with the IE 900.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #4,586 of 4,836
I got the new and inexpensive Shanling H2 to play with and I think it’s great with ie900. It’s the smallest of the series, which is fine because ie900 doesn’t need all that power. But the excellent functionality are there, like being able to play flacs from SD card and control the device from your smartphone. It’s practically a dap without relying on its own screen and OS if the use case fits you.

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #4,587 of 4,836
nAf3Akg.jpeg
Hello all, first time posting here!

Been enjoying Sennheiser products for decades, and ever since my IE 800’s left driver suddenly stopped working after 4 years of daily use I’ve been missing that detailed and expansive sound signature.

The IE 900 immediately interested me, as Sennheiser hadn’t released a new flagship IEM in YEARS and the name implied an upgrade over my all time favorite, but I couldn’t justify the $1,300 MSRP considering my past durability concerns.

Fast forward to Jan 2023, after many reviews praising the IE 600 as a better tuned IE 900 at a much lower price I took the plunge and been using it ever since, but honestly I wasn’t immediately impressed and I was even disappointed with how different it sounded to the IE 800; congested, very forward vocals and masked treble.

Well, a week ago I finally pulled the trigger on the IE 900 since it was at over 50% off directly from Amazon Mexico (brand new) and holy crap, I should not have wasted my time with the 600.

My unit was made in Ireland, SN 0201XX Apr 2023. Love the “imperfect” finish with the machined marks, and the slightly longer driver housing makes an immediately better fit than the 600 for my ears. I’m lucky to find a perfect seal with the stock M silicon or foam eartips, zero need to tip roll.

Last Monday I spent a good 4 hours comparing my current IEMs (pic related) to my reference HD 800S and it was surprising how much better the IE900 sounds to my ears vs the IE600. I’m loving the current flagship and hope to be able to enjoy it for many years to come.

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #4,588 of 4,836
Folks, I would really appreciate some opinions regarding my issue.

Basically, I've tried the single ended cable and the 4.4mm cable many times, depending on how the cables are rotated, let's say for the sake of simplicity that in 6 or 7 out of 10 fittings, I can willingly interrupt the sound on the right side basically just leaning my head towards the left hand side at a certain angle. This issue can be reproduced just by sitting on a chair at a desk in the most stationary possible settings.

I think this is definitely a sign of poor design, to make things easy I bought a 3rd party cable (Linsoul) that simply works flawlessly.
Do you feel like there could be an issue with the right earphone that would require to be addressed via warranty even though with the Linsoul cable it works perfectly?

I have a good relation with my AD (bought these new a month ago) and I've been assured that the AD rep would have my back in any situation, but I'm just trying to avoid the hassle of visiting the AD, rolling cables, submitting the IEMs for warranty, etc.

Thank you!
I've just gotten IE900 for myself and had the same issue on the left side. I determined that it was an issue with the 3.5mm cable because the 4.4mm worked fine.

After reaching out to Sennheiser support, I decided that getting a new cable was probably inevitable anyway. They required me to send the whole unit back for a replacement and couldn't just send out a replacement cable. The whole process is painful. I might do it eventually.

I've read about MMCX sockets failing after 500 uses (something like that) and so I wanted to minimise the number of times I swapped the cable out. I use 4.4mm in own personal listening but I would then need a 3.5mm to use at work as music teacher because of the different applications I need to cater for.

I ended up buying an Effect Audio Ares S cable with interchangeable plugs (2.5, 3.5, 4.4) so the primary wear and tear would be on the cable plug, and not the MMCX sockets. The cable fit perfectly and does the job. Microphonics have been reduced as a benefit too (at the price of a some comfort around the ears).

*edit* I have also heard from multiple retailers in Singapore that the Sennheiser MMCX connectors aren't known to be reliable - but I suppose everyone will have different experiences.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #4,589 of 4,836
FWIW I have zero issues with 4/5 of my stock Sennheiser cables (haven’t tried the IE 900’s 4.4mm since I sold my Fiio K7).

I’d like to note that my IE 900’s MMCX socket felt very tight and had lots of friction when turning the cable inside the socket, way more friction than my IE 600’s cables did.

Now, 2 weeks later the IE 900's cable spins quite freely inside the socket just like the IE 600.

It doesn’t disconnect easily nor suffers from crackling or cutoffs when I move my head so it’s all good but I thought someone might find this interesting.

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #4,590 of 4,836
Interesting. Unit variance/margin for error with the sennheiser cables then.

My IE900 spins like a Booker T with the stock cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back