Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jan 27, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #4,592 of 4,851
nAf3Akg.jpeg
Hello all, first time posting here!

Been enjoying Sennheiser products for decades, and ever since my IE 800’s left driver suddenly stopped working after 4 years of daily use I’ve been missing that detailed and expansive sound signature.

The IE 900 immediately interested me, as Sennheiser hadn’t released a new flagship IEM in YEARS and the name implied an upgrade over my all time favorite, but I couldn’t justify the $1,300 MSRP considering my past durability concerns.

Fast forward to Jan 2023, after many reviews praising the IE 600 as a better tuned IE 900 at a much lower price I took the plunge and been using it ever since, but honestly I wasn’t immediately impressed and I was even disappointed with how different it sounded to the IE 800; congested, very forward vocals and masked treble.

Well, a week ago I finally pulled the trigger on the IE 900 since it was at over 50% off directly from Amazon Mexico (brand new) and holy crap, I should not have wasted my time with the 600.

My unit was made in Ireland, SN 0201XX Apr 2023. Love the “imperfect” finish with the machined marks, and the slightly longer driver housing makes an immediately better fit than the 600 for my ears. I’m lucky to find a perfect seal with the stock M silicon or foam eartips, zero need to tip roll.

Last Monday I spent a good 4 hours comparing my current IEMs (pic related) to my reference HD 800S and it was surprising how much better the IE900 sounds to my ears vs the IE600. I’m loving the current flagship and hope to be able to enjoy it for many years to come.
Same here, I also have both. The IE600 is well rounded and "safer", but it doesn't reach the height of the IE900. However they complement each other very well and it's not redundant to own both in my opinion.

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #4,593 of 4,851
For those using aftermarket cables with the IE 900, are you having any issues with the MMCX connectors cutting out a bit? On both the IE 600 and IE 900 that I'm using, the sound sometimes cuts out for a split second when I move my head. I can't tell if it's an issue with Sennheiser's MMCX on the IEM side or if it's an issue with the silly recession on the cables preventing a clean lock. At first I thought it was because I'm using a demo unit but both IE 600 and IE 900 that I have are exhibiting the same problem.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #4,594 of 4,851
For those using aftermarket cables with the IE 900, are you having any issues with the MMCX connectors cutting out a bit? On both the IE 600 and IE 900 that I'm using, the sound sometimes cuts out for a split second when I move my head. I can't tell if it's an issue with Sennheiser's MMCX on the IEM side or if it's an issue with the silly recession on the cables preventing a clean lock.
I have four different aftermarket cables for the IE 900 and 600 (two from ForzaAudioWorks, one from Effect Audio, and another from Romi Audio). No issues with audio cutting out so far. The Forza cables especially has been on the IEMs the most for almost a year now.

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #4,595 of 4,851
I have four different aftermarket cables for the IE 900 and 600 (two from ForzaAudioWorks, one from Effect Audio, and another from Romi Audio). No issues with audio cutting out so far. The Forza cables especially has been on the IEMs the most for almost a year now.
Thanks for the info... hoping a few others chime in here. I hope it's more of a problem with the cable since that's easy to swap for something like that Linsoul Amber cable. If it's a problem with the IEM itself that would be very unfortunate. Why did Sennheiser create this problem for themselves lol.

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #4,596 of 4,851
For those using aftermarket cables with the IE 900, are you having any issues with the MMCX connectors cutting out a bit? On both the IE 600 and IE 900 that I'm using, the sound sometimes cuts out for a split second when I move my head. I can't tell if it's an issue with Sennheiser's MMCX on the IEM side or if it's an issue with the silly recession on the cables preventing a clean lock. At first I thought it was because I'm using a demo unit but both IE 600 and IE 900 that I have are exhibiting the same problem.
I have the Lavricables Ultimate and Forza Audio Works Hybrid. No problems with them. Both have special MMCX connectors for the IE 600/900 series as an option when ordering and that's what I selected.

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #4,597 of 4,851
I went into my local CEX at the weekend couldn't see any fake (would have been) ie900's in there, there is hope at least for their customers in Letchworth. Several fakes on their website this morning though.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #4,598 of 4,851
I have an Audioverse cable with IE900/IE600 connector since 6 month. No problem so far with the IE900 and IE600. The connectors are very tight. Much better than the stock cable.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #4,599 of 4,851
I have an Audioverse cable with IE900/IE600 connector since 6 month. No problem so far with the IE900 and IE600. The connectors are very tight. Much better than the stock cable.
Were you having issues with the stock cable and intermittently disconnecting before? Trying to figure out if the issue is a cable specific problem which is what it's looking like to be.

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #4,600 of 4,851
Were you having issues with the stock cable and intermittently disconnecting before? Trying to figure out if the issue is a cable specific problem which is what it's looking like to be.
I only had once an issue on my IE600 after I got them. Here I'm not sure if it was my fault when connecting the cable for the first time. I removed the stock cable with the 3.5mm plug and mounted the stock cable with 4.4mm.

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #4,601 of 4,851
Thanks for the info... hoping a few others chime in here. I hope it's more of a problem with the cable since that's easy to swap for something like that Linsoul Amber cable. If it's a problem with the IEM itself that would be very unfortunate. Why did Sennheiser create this problem for themselves lol.
I want to say that after 2 week of owning the IE 900 and using it almost exclusively with the 3.5mm cable I had intermittent cutting out on the right driver last night while adjusting the ear hooks.

The left MMCX spins almost freely and frictionless in its socket while the right one feels very tight and gritty/dirty when I move it.

Tried unplugging/cleaning and there is zero debris or deformations that might explain this issue but after reconnecting it hasn’t cut off since even when I adjust the fit, bang my head or lay on my pillow.

Maybe the connector and socket needs some breaking in but it’s not a reassuring feeling that’s for sure. I’ll try swapping the cable if the issue happens again.

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #4,603 of 4,851
I just bought a lightly used pair of these.

Connected to my A&K SP3000 I don’t think I’ve heard worse in my life. Tinny and screechy and generally unpleasant.

I’ve tried foam and silicone tips. Not much difference, although foam slightly better.

Given my reaction seems to differ from most I’ve read, I must be doing something wrong.

Any ideas?

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #4,604 of 4,851
I just bought a lightly used pair of these.

Connected to my A&K SP3000 I don’t think I’ve heard worse in my life. Tinny and screechy and generally unpleasant.

I’ve tried foam and silicone tips. Not much difference, although foam slightly better.

Given my reaction seems to differ from most I’ve read, I must be doing something wrong.

Any ideas?

Possibly fakes. There are lots of fakes on the market. You can search this thread for details and pictures to see if yours are fake.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back