Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Dec 14, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #4,501 of 4,836
Hi everyone. Important PSA. Please, please, please be careful when buying IE900s, especially from CeX in the UK. I visited their Clapham Junction branch yesterday and both units in stock were counterfeits (but very good ones at that). They had no certificates of authenticity, the silver was present under the metal mesh when removing the rubber/foam tip, the S/M/L markings were matte on the box instead of glossy, and the cables were stiff and held shape. They exhibited everything in this article: https://www.audioreviews.org/sennheiser-counterfeits-fakes/

It seems that many people have taken advantage of CeX as they have so many IE900s on sale (which is unlikely given how high-end and niche this IEM is). I will be heading to the Shepherd's Bush branch soon to check their pair but, if it is also counterfeit, I can only conclude that it is highly likely that you will get a counterfeit IE900 when ordering from them.

It is such a shame that people take advantage of others in such a great hobby, but I hope that this helps someone out there.

I assume these were used examples, not NIB (i.e. CeX didn't know)?

Dec 14, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #4,502 of 4,836
Correct, these were used examples, although the Shepherds Bush pair is listed as in-new condition (A), so let's see. Although I do not have high hopes...

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #4,503 of 4,836
Update: The IE900 at CeX Shepherds Bush was also counterfeit. Here are images showing what this looks like. Silver metal behind the mesh under the eartip, and the matte marking on the S/M/L indicators. Again, anyone in the UK tempted to buy one of the 10s of pairs they have at seemingly great prices, they are all likely counterfeit.

Attachments

• 20231215_131752.jpg
    20231215_131752.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231215_131743.jpg
    20231215_131743.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 0
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #4,506 of 4,836
Hi folks, just bought a second-hand IE900 from eBay's. However, the certificate of authenticity has empty space on both serial number and QC operator part.

Is it a fake one? I compared other part of the IEM with some website, all seems to be fine.
PXL_20231223_032352316.jpg

Dec 22, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #4,507 of 4,836
Hi folks, just bought a second-hand IE900 from eBay's. However, the certificate of authenticity has empty space on both serial number and QC operator part.

Is it a fake one? I compared other part of the IEM with some website, all seems to be fine.

Looks like cert from a clone I “unlucked” into, and on my genuine ones the cert is signed.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #4,508 of 4,836
Sign, I will have to fight a refund, can't trust ebay seller anymore.

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #4,509 of 4,836
Dec 23, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #4,510 of 4,836

PXL_20231223_032352316.jpg
just got mine directly from Sennheiser, the certificate is signed. Might not be fake but I just can't trust any secondhand IE900 these days...

Dec 23, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #4,511 of 4,836
just got mine directly from Sennheiser, the certificate is signed. Might not be fake but I just can't trust any secondhand IE900 these days...
I already contacted the seller for return and refund. Unfortunately, I will postpone my blind buy decision for IE900 until I demoed it and buy from a trustworthy retailer.

BTW, I listened to this fake for a hour and I am disappointed, the SQ is not too bad, but definitely not a kilobuck level IEM.

I also carefully check everything again, it seems the box and all the accessories, including the cables, seems to be identical to the real one. Except for the IEM itself: looking from the nozzle end, I can see the silver inside, which according to some websites should be pitch black.

Therefore, the seller is very smart, probably just switch the IEM, but does not change the certificate.

I am wondering how many people were actually turned away from IE900 due to the faked/clone ones.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #4,512 of 4,836
Hi everyone. Important PSA. Please, please, please be careful when buying IE900s, especially from CeX in the UK. I visited their Clapham Junction branch yesterday and both units in stock were counterfeits (but very good ones at that). They had no certificates of authenticity, the silver was present under the metal mesh when removing the rubber/foam tip, the S/M/L markings were matte on the box instead of glossy, and the cables were stiff and held shape. They exhibited everything in this article: https://www.audioreviews.org/sennheiser-counterfeits-fakes/

It seems that many people have taken advantage of CeX as they have so many IE900s on sale (which is unlikely given how high-end and niche this IEM is). I will be heading to the Shepherd's Bush branch soon to check their pair but, if it is also counterfeit, I can only conclude that it is highly likely that you will get a counterfeit IE900 when ordering from them.

It is such a shame that people take advantage of others in such a great hobby, but I hope that this helps someone out there.
Woah did not imagine these would be faked... rushed to check mine and I'm 95% sure I have areal one!
Good thing too, as I've really warmed up to this IEM over recent weeks, it's superb with rock and electronic. The upper mid-range scoop which initially bothered me is not so bad once you get used to it and more than made up for by the dynamics and the lower end punch. A welcome change for my more neutral favourites such as the U12t.
I think timbre is still a little behind reference, but that doesn't take anything away from how enjoyable this IEM is to listen to with the right music.

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #4,513 of 4,836
I just picked these up a few weeks ago. I've seen a bunch of reports about driver failures with the entire IE line. Has anyone had the IE900 for an extended period of time without a driver failure? I'm coming from the 660S. Also have the HD800S I'm trying out. I'm using these for gaming mostly, but also music while at my computer. Ordered from Best Buy with at Total Tech membership, so I should be covered through that for 2 years. Thanks in advance for any input.

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #4,515 of 4,836
I just picked these up a few weeks ago. I've seen a bunch of reports about driver failures with the entire IE line. Has anyone had the IE900 for an extended period of time without a driver failure? I'm coming from the 660S. Also have the HD800S I'm trying out. I'm using these for gaming mostly, but also music while at my computer. Ordered from Best Buy with at Total Tech membership, so I should be covered through that for 2 years. Thanks in advance for any input.
What’s a bunch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back