Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jun 1, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #3,751 of 4,854
Welcome to the #IE900Club ! Wow I'm seeing your collection for the first time...what a great locker of gear! Also welcome to the #MTW3Club 💪💪
:) yes, the MTW3 is also great and i enjoyed it a lot! just i encountered a strange behavior after upgrading to firmware 2.4.22 that the mtw3 was silent when it connected successfully out of the case and played music. but it resumed normally every time i adjusted the vol. it's really weird.

i could easily live with the MTW3 for daily use without wanting for anything else. just please make the case smaller in the next generation :dt880smile: hope this is not too off topic.

Jun 2, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #3,752 of 4,854
I did a short A/B comparison between acoustune hs2000mx and ie900 using ak ca1000 streaming from tidal a few days ago. Both are excellent single DD driver iems and priced similarly. I like the hs1000mx, but for me, the ie900 excels in both bass presentation and sounds more spacious. Ie900 also is much smaller and easier to wear. It's my favourite uiem for the moment!
20220528_114259.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #3,753 of 4,854
Not the most resolving setup. But iFi Gryphon has a nice analog tube-emulating distortion kind of sound to it; that is fun to play with.

Senn ie900 benefits alot from the dsp effects. So did other warm, low pinna iems like Triton/Mext. You'd think the ie900 wouldn't need bass help, but boi is it satisfactory without being unreasonable.

Presence-boost also helps give it some of compensation the ie900 needs without resorting to software EQ. Helps against letting the later treble of the ie900 contrast out as much by a step.

Overall, I'd recommend the iFi Gryphon. But don't expect depth, more an analog euphonic sound.

20220529_152302.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #3,754 of 4,854
Not the most resolving setup. But iFi Gryphon has a nice analog tube-emulating distortion kind of sound to it; that is fun to play with.

Senn ie900 benefits alot from the dsp effects. So did other warm, low pinna iems like Triton/Mext. You'd think the ie900 wouldn't need bass help, but boi is it satisfactory without being unreasonable.

Presence-boost also helps give it some of compensation the ie900 needs without resorting to software EQ. Helps against letting the later treble of the ie900 contrast out as much by a step.

Overall, I'd recommend the iFi Gryphon. But don't expect depth, more an analog euphonic sound.

20220529_152302.jpg
What cable is that? The jack looks so cool! 👍🏻

Jun 2, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #3,755 of 4,854
What cable is that? The jack looks so cool! 👍🏻
It is a Estron-Linum SuperBax cable, the jack they are using, is made by a Japanese company called Bispa. So it's a 4.4mm Balanced Bispa jack.

It is indeed a great jack. It is smaller than other 4.4mm plugs around.
Also doesn't need as much strain relief either.
But since it's smaller, you have a limit to how thick a Guage a wire/wires you can use with it......unless your Dremel the inside of the plug to open up more space for the wires.

IMG_20210125_080745-1.jpg

Many cable makers will also entertain a request if you ask them to get a Bispa plug. But you probably will have to wait for them to get one after.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #3,756 of 4,854
It is a Estron-Linum SuperBax cable, the jack they are using, is made by a Japanese company called Bispa. So it's a 4.4mm Balanced Bispa jack.

It is indeed a great jack. It is smaller than other 4.4mm plugs around.
Also doesn't need as much strain relief either.
But since it's smaller, you have a limit to how thick a Guage a wire/wires you can use with it......unless your Dremel the inside of the plug to open up more space for the wires.

IMG_20210125_080745-1.jpg

Many cable makers will also entertain a request if you ask them to get a Bispa plug. But you probably will have to wait for them to get one after.

Does the Superbax stock MMCX connection work on the IE900?

Jun 3, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #3,757 of 4,854
Yes & no.

I didn't need to replace the stock mmcx on it.

But I had to slowly file away a millimeter of plastic, to expose the mmcx ring to fit the deep Sennheiser mmcx setup.

Jun 3, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #3,758 of 4,854
Yes & no.

But I had to slowly file away a millimeter of plastic, to expose the mmcx ring to fit the deep Sennheiser mmcx setup.

Thanks! I've always wanted a Superbax and was hoping it would fit my IE600. I'm not sure about hacking on a $300 cable with my skillset.

Jun 3, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #3,759 of 4,854

20220529_152302.jpg
Have you got any recommendations on a resolving setup, that portable?

Jun 3, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #3,760 of 4,854

I don't really feel the Sennheiser ie900 scales. It's warmth and low presence dip kind of mask somethings.

But I honestly feel Ibasso daps, and especially the dx300, hits really high on the diminishing returns of resolving portable setups. You could try running offline music rather than streaming Apple Music. Might make a big change.

If you aren't enjoying the dx300 as being resolving enough, then you probably would want a more colder-nuetral sounding source? Then the Chord Hugo 2 works best there.

Or try the amp12 module for the dx300, it adds more depth and seperation to the staging; and shift the tonality treble into colder unforgiving territory a step. Though I personally like the amp11 more for music-enjoyment and for its synnergy with more stuff (amp11 had more intense imaging and bass slam, but less staging compared to amp12).

But really this iFi Gryphon is a really nice compensation for this ie900.

Jun 3, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #3,761 of 4,854
I'll throw in my 2.5 rials. I love the Mojo2 driving my IE900s. the M2's EQ implementation is heads and shoulders above every other portable out there. Plenty of power to blow out any eardrum so be careful!! It's pricy but worth every rial.:sunglasses:

Jun 4, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #3,762 of 4,854
Yes & no.

Could you please show some close up pics on the connectors you filed? I have a superbax and would like to try out this mod to use with my ie900.

Jun 5, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #3,763 of 4,854
Thanks to @111MilesToGo for this tip. I picked up some o rings for 27¢ each. I went with 5 mm ID which are easy to put on and remove. 1.5 mm thickness isn't quite enough, but the 2 mm seem to work perfectly. Using the outer position for the tips does change the sound to my ears. Love having this option. I'm now re-trying different tips. So far, I really like the Sennheiser Pro tips with the foam removed.

Jun 5, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #3,764 of 4,854
Thanks to @111MilesToGo for this tip. I picked up some o rings for 27¢ each. I went with 5 mm ID which are easy to put on and remove. 1.5 mm thickness isn't quite enough, but the 2 mm seem to work perfectly. Using the outer position for the tips does change the sound to my ears. Love having this option. I'm now re-trying different tips. So far, I really like the Sennheiser Pro tips with the foam removed.
Would you be able to share a pictures of how it’s sits on the nozzle? Thanks

Jun 5, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #3,765 of 4,854
I'll throw in my 2.5 rials. I love the Mojo2 driving my IE900s. the M2's EQ implementation is heads and shoulders above every other portable out there. Plenty of power to blow out any eardrum so be careful!! It's pricy but worth every rial.:sunglasses:
I’ve been looking at the mojo 2 closely, but alas my budget won’t allow it right now- def want to try it in the near future. That being said, I like how my hip dac 2 performs and whilst I found the gryphon to be a superior product, I never found that it was night and day better in SQ than the hip dac 2 to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back